New Zealander killed in Samui car crash

webfact

They have signs, bikes KEEP LEFT. They are big things that show a bike in the left lane too biggrin.png .

I think the only bikes allowed in the fast lane are bigger sized ones.

No, there are no distinction between scooters and big bikes in Thailand.

For example you can not ride the tollways on a 1000 cc bike.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Edwin, I htink you might want to re-read the article. It didn

t say the NZ chap was driving fast, it said he was driving in the fast lane. It went on to say that he drove into the rear of the garbage truck as it was parked to collect garbage which hints at the fact he was parked in the fast lane. Which is probably a crime even in Thailand?

Obviously you have never been on Samui.

There are no roads with two lanes here.

I dared not say that too in case I had not understand everything but it was my first thoughtfacepalm.gifwhere on earth this fast lane could be?

They have signs, bikes KEEP LEFT. They are big things that show a bike in the left lane too biggrin.png .

I think the only bikes allowed in the fast lane are bigger sized ones.

As you go up the Nathon hill, from Ban Por, there is a sign saying "share the road" with a bicycle in the sign... Yes ... share the road, but keep left in doing it, on a bike or motor bike! wink.pngwhistling.gif

Just for the record of where this unfortunate accident took place, it's very well lite ... not only by the Mini Mart lights, but quite a number of street lights...placed fairly close together...

The lights in the store, beyond Mini mart would probably been off at the time.. but would still pretty bright... from the street lights. I reckon from the original post that is where the accident took place.

(there is no curb on the other side of the road there.)

The photo does not do full justice to how bright that stretch of road is... Lomprayah ferry turning is at this corner. (left)

IMG_8276.JPG

Looking toward Nathon.... it's a well lite stretch of road.

IMG_8278.JPG

• Like 2

Foreigner Killed In Samuiarrow-10x10.png Car Crash [uPDATED]

UPDATE: Statement from the New Zealand authorities has indicated that the man killed in the car accident is not a New Zealander.
(17 November) A foreigner has been killed in a road accident after he crashed his car into a garbage truck on the island of Koh Samuiarrow-10x10.png, Surat Thani province.
The man was found dead on the driver seat in a car.
Mr. Aphirak Duangmala, 33, the driver of the garbage collector truck, reportedly told the police and that he had parked his vehicle on the side of the street. While his team is collecting garbage, the foreigner′s car, which was driven in a fast speed, slammed hard into the back of the truck, according to Mr. Aphirak.
Mr. Aphirak was charged with committing reckless act leading to death of other person.
The body of the foreigner is appointed for autopsy at Koh Samuiarrow-10x10.png Hospital to find any presence of alcohol in his blood. His nationality is not yet independently verified. Although initial reports suggest that he is a New Zealander, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade of New Zealand has released a statement disputing the reports.
unfortuanlty he was not the only forang that died that day

• 3 weeks later...

Just for the record of where this unfortunate accident took place, it's very well lite ... not only by the Mini Mart lights, but quite a number of street lights...placed fairly close together...

The lights in the store, beyond Mini mart would probably been off at the time.. but would still pretty bright... from the street lights. I reckon from the original post that is where the accident took place.

(there is no curb on the other side of the road there.)

The photo does not do full justice to how bright that stretch of road is... Lomprayah ferry turning is at this corner. (left)

IMG_8276.JPG

Looking toward Nathon.... it's a well lite stretch of road.

IMG_8278.JPG

Actually the accident was about 2-300 metres further round the bend towards Maenam, but on the same side of the road from which the first photo was taken so well away from the lights of the Family Mart. At 4.30 in the morning there were few other lights on, but it certainly was not pitch black so hard to understand why he did not see the truck.

• Like 1