Over 10,000 vehicles in Thailand do not pass annual car checkup in 3 months

webfact

Over 10,000 vehicles do not pass annual car checkup in 3 months

BANGKOK, 18 November 2013 (NNT) – The Land Transport Department reported that in just a quarter of a year, over 10,000 vehicles that came in for the annual car checkups did not pass the test.

According to the Land Transport Department, 11,145 out of over 1 million cars that came in for annual car checkup during July to September 2013 did not pass the test.

The annual car checkup is mandatory for all cars aged 7 years and older before the owner can renew their yearly tax.

Most of the problems found on vehicles that failed the test are caused by modifications of the vehicles without permission. The department has been imposing strict rule on car modification and annual check up to prevent road accidents.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-11-18 footer_n.gif

the annual check up is one big joke, they check the Horne, lights, exhaust fumes omissions,

and that is all, no other safety features or equipment such as breaks, steering mechanism

is being looked at, and forget about the engine, they simply act as non of those cars even

have an engine,

fortunately there aren't many clackers on Bkk roads, as many of them end up going up country

of even to neighboring countries.

• Like 1

I guess it's as strict as the "health check certificates" that are issued for 100 baht.

And 3 weeks ago I had to get my Med Cert to renew my 5 yr licence, but there was no where to park! So my Mrs jumped out and went in as I drove round the block, 2 minutes later and 50 Baht lighter she appears with my certificate!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Does this inspection include these "farm buggies" that seem to have a max speed of 20 kph? It's a shock to find them creeping along on two lane highways here in Isaan. They do not have lights etc. and they still travel at night. Boy is difficult seeing them on roads that also have no lighting.

We got our "puddle jumper" painted a couple of years ago. The wife told me if we did not go to "the govt. place" and fill out paperwork etc. we would be "in trouble" if stopped by BIB. Not a safety issue but necessary to avoid "shakedowns."

• Like 1

I wish the police would crack down on the prolific practise of (effectively) removing exhausts from small motorbikes, it really is getting very very noisy here in Pattaya, I would say possibly 10% of small motorbikes here have the silencers completely removed then the small brained pricks riding them think it's cool to have a moped sounding like a cement mixer.

One police chief lost the plot last year and ordered them taken off the road - but it lasted a week

It may not seem like much but if the trend continues it really will be very difficult to sleep here with the widows/balcony doors open

The people who remove the baffles from the exhaust pipe do not understand that when they shut off the engine the piston rings cool off too fast and they become brittle and break, therefore causing mechanical problems.

But you must understand thai culture and the thai men want you to know that you can hear them coming and going for miles. It is like their playing loud music. They want every other person in the country to know what song they are playing

The people who remove the baffles from the exhaust pipe do not understand that when they shut off the engine the piston rings cool off too fast and they become brittle and break, therefore causing mechanical problems.

I am more than a little sceptical about that theory. You do realise that most 4 stroke engines stop on the compression stroke, with the exhaust valve shut?

I wish the police would crack down on the prolific practise of (effectively) removing exhausts from small motorbikes, it really is getting very very noisy here in Pattaya, I would say possibly 10% of small motorbikes here have the silencers completely removed then the small brained pricks riding them think it's cool to have a moped sounding like a cement mixer.

One police chief lost the plot last year and ordered them taken off the road - but it lasted a week

It may not seem like much but if the trend continues it really will be very difficult to sleep here with the widows/balcony doors open

Thin end of the wedge there - if they cracked down on modified motorbikes as well as cars then they would have their hands full as all the food carts and side cars are illegal modifications.

• Like 1

Chaps, you've got it all wrong, it should read:

"According to the Land Transport Department, 11,145 out of over 1 million cars that came in for annual car checkup during July to September 2013 did not passed the test"

tongue.png

According to the Land Transport Department, 11,145 out of over 1 million cars that came in for annual car checkup during July to September 2013 did not pass the test

Obviously the test is as "stringent" as a British M.O.T. or similar smile.png

So paper wise they checked over one million cars in three months?

Giving the boys a five-working-days-a-week some 16'600 cars daily, exceeding the seven years on the road, were inspected and failed. This represents some 1% of those "vintage car".

Now, lets take all the newer vehicles into consideration and add that one million new cars graciously thrown on Thailand's roads by Pheu Thai's election fart it is safely assumable, that Thailand has - by far - the highest car safety standards then.

I assume that the other 48% Thai-plated cars which would fail any Western screening must have passed spiritually then …...

Well, boys, keep up the good work then thumbsup.gif

Simply drive behind a few cars in Bangkok and jot down how many have missing tail lights or brake lights. My guess is that about 40% would fail such a test...!

Does this inspection include these "farm buggies" that seem to have a max speed of 20 kph? It's a shock to find them creeping along on two lane highways here in Isaan. They do not have lights etc. and they still travel at night. Boy is difficult seeing them on roads that also have no lighting.

Although there are some stipulations, farm vehicles are often exempt from many regulations, even in the West.

the annual check up is one big joke, they check the Horne, lights, exhaust fumes omissions,

and that is all, no other safety features or equipment such as breaks, steering mechanism

is being looked at, and forget about the engine, they simply act as non of those cars even

have an engine,

fortunately there aren't many clackers on Bkk roads, as many of them end up going up country

of even to neighboring countries.

I think your wrong in your assumption about none existing engine check... I went to a inspection of a newly bought car and the only thing they checked was the engine and gearbox ID numbers, nothing else, same for all other cars who went trough there... ;)

I guess it's as strict as the "health check certificates" that are issued for 100 baht.

I recall that once I just sent the motorbike taxi to pick up the health check certificate...there was no need to see me.

I see they still think its the cars fault because its modified that causes accidents, not the moron behind the wheel.

If somchia modifies his car to use gas with his D.I.Y kit, that presents a real danger to other road users. Here is somchai stopped in peak hour traffic and his car blows up.

In Australia it is an offence to modify your vehicle in anyway without an engineering certificate. The actual offence is "Fail to comply with the standards of registration" $280 AUD on the spot fine and your vehicle can immeadiately be put off the road. That is for anything from putting a larger exhaust tail pipe on, lights under the vehicle to gas conversions.

Edited by chooka

I am amazed that anyone with a knowledge of 'things Thailand' can believe such a set of statistics! One only needs to drive around the Kingdom and see the myriad of 'rust-buckets' and badly-maintained vehicles without lights (and probably lots more) to see that many vehicles don't even bother to go through the annual process. Instead, without proper police procedures, they happily drive round without road tax, insurance and valid driving licence to the detriment of all properly documented drivers who foot the bill in cases of accident. An absolute nonsense!

I think your wrong in your assumption about none existing engine check... I went to a inspection of a newly bought car and the only thing they checked was the engine and gearbox ID numbers, nothing else, same for all other cars who went trough there... wink.png

When I tried to transfer the registration (one province to another) of my Hilux I had to go to the main office because the local did not have a weighbridge, even though the rego papers had the weight noted. Nothing else was looked at, and a whole day wasted.

• Like 1