Home internet GPRS goes bad

Bluetongue

Background: Years ago moved here pretty remote, did research seemed like GPRS/Bluetooth internet connection via mobile was the only viable option. Did that, slow speed but very reliable connection, not big downloader, satellite TV through True but changing at end of this contract to CTH. Fast forward: newer laptop no Bluetooth, OK Bluetooth USB device now talks to phone, Four months ago Bluetooth device, physically fell apart bought new one about the same time noticed that connection seemed less reliable, month ago phone got wet bought another now connection has gone to absolutely unreliable. When dialing AIS it hangs up on the verifying user name and password dialog box several times before going through, then drops out repeatedly after sometimes less than a few seconds meaning repeat the whole process. I am not sure whether my recent device changes are responsible, cant see why they are identical, or whether AIS has done something to squeeze people off GPRS.

Question now is it's time for me to research what I can do now. In my home the phone only can receive signal from THGSM so I am assuming any solution will have to be through AIS? None of the satellite TV offers internet eh?. So can I get an AIS Aircard and connect to a faster more reliable connection. Any advice in plain speak would be greatly appreciated as I unfortunately do not speak IT well. My skill level is rebooting, and I've been trained to back up.

I would speak with neighbors to see if CAT/TrueMove H, or TOT have 3G nearby.

AIS may be transitioning from 900 MHz to 2100 MHz in your locale. I honestly can't follow your exact situation - ramblings about TV/CTH et al., are not necessary; more details re: your exact equipment (make/model) and what mobile data plan you've been subscribing to would help, how much data do you need per month, and what is your budget.

Can you share your approximate location?

Then maybe get a shared WiFi device. These allow you to share a mobile data connection in your home via WiFi. Newer smartphones also allow for this capability. http://www.totalaircard.com/categories/3G-Router/3G-Mobile-MiFi/

Edited by lomatopo

I would speak with neighbors to see if CAT/TrueMove H, or TOT have 3G nearby.

AIS may be transitioning from 900 MHz to 2100 MHz in your locale. I honestly can't follow your exact situation - ramblings about TV/CTH et al., are not necessary; more details re: your exact equipment (make/model) and what mobile data plan you've been subscribing to would help, how much data do you need per month, and what is your budget.

Can you share your approximate location?

Then maybe get a shared WiFi device. These allow you to share a mobile data connection in your home via WiFi. Newer smartphones also allow for this capability. http://www.totalaircard.com/categories/3G-Router/3G-Mobile-MiFi/

OK will speak to neighbours, but have seen people using Aircards presumably AIS. My family are using my old gear so I'll check out that connection as well. But really our neighbours are 600metres away and we're in a Thai village, most people don't use much internet, the teenagers go 5k down the road where there is WIFI and internet cafe's plus landlines etc. No one in the village has a land line and TOT were quoted as saying some 12 months ago that WIFI was coming. Messages I get on my phone from AIS3G end with the words Sender AIS3G (not available)

Equipment is a ASUS laptop, Nokia 110, and an Asaki Bluetooth device. I'm on AIS (THGSM) with a 50 hours for 214 baht plan which I just recharge when empty, it lasts me about three weeks on average. Budget is not really an issue although obviously I don't want to spend buying now if 3G is just around the corner.

I'm in Chantaburi about 100km north of the city, 20ks east of a small city named Soi Dao

OK, it sounds like you have an AIS SIM in your Nokia 110, which you are utilizing as a GSM data (GPRS/EDGE) dial-up modem while tethered to your PC via Bluetooth. Assuming you have a signal from AIS you should be able to get mobile data, albeit at slow speeds.

My best guess is that you are having issues with the Bluetooth configuration? Did your set-up ever work successfully with the new Bluetooth adapter?

You could also get a USB aircard for less than 1,000 baht, and use your AIS SIM in that device. Or assuming you have 3G from AIS/2100, DTAC or TrueMove H/850, try a new SIM i anew aircard. Again, this is why you have to talk to neighbors to see what is available - trust me someone is using 3G - or be prepared to experiment with different SIMs.