Thailand aims to be AIDS-free by 2033

webfact

What a ridiculous assertion. Where is the cure? Where is the vaccine? Without both of those ... please focus on ACTUAL possibilities.

As in another thread - actual possibilities include compulsory testing at the workplace, then social exclusion and mob execution of all HIV+ people.

Compulsory testing at the border would help too.....

So Thailand can be the hub of AIDS prevention......

There are only three ways this extremely ambitious goal is going to be achieved.

1. Find a cure in the next twenty years and administer it to every HIV sufferer in the kingdom.

2. Deport every sufferer to somewhere else, just throw a dart at the world map and see where it lands, that'll do.

3. reclassify the illness every sufferer has been diagnosed with to something else that while being contagious, doesn't engender fear.

There is a fourth possebility, but it would be too barbaric to mention.

Yes your right they must stop all new infections and ensure that al HIV suffers die in the next 20 years if a cure is not found.

The headline is incredibly misleading. It states in the article ZERO NEW INFECTIONS, and ZERO DEATHS from HIV

Nowhere does it say AIDS free and if this stupid coconuts can't be bothered to interpret the bloody news and put up accurate headlines of what was actually said, I would consider it worse than useless, and probably deliberately disingenuos.

At the end of the Coconuts article - "Somsak said Thailand is set goal to become an AIDS-free nation within 20 years, Daily News reported".

Well it shows that Somsak is a dips**t

HIV, a virus that infects white blood cells.

AIDS, a disease which can follow on from HIV.

As Sheryl stated above, there is no reason in this day and age why a person who is HIV positive should go on to develop AIDS, so long as they diligently take medication.

To become AIDS free, Thailand needs 100% detection and 100% medication uptake amongst people with HIV. An ambitious, but achievable, goal.

The Thai government should be applauded for the work they have done nationally to deal with what was a huge problem and for the country's role in the global fight.

• Like 2

So, shut down the prostitution centres, even though will hit tourism massively, and give free testing, education, and drugs to those found positive who work in them.

Job done in a few years.

Won't happen as too much money goes to bibs and politicos who control it.

It has already been stated by a few others, but some people don't seem to be getting it, so I will repeat.

HIV positive and having AIDS are not the same. In fact with current treatments the expected result for a recently infected HIV positive person is to live a normal life-span without developing AIDS. However, the right drugs have to be made available and they have to be administered properly for the rest of the person's life. Moreover, those being treated properly are less likely to infect others due to lower levels of the virus in their systems.

This is no reason for complacency about the disease or the virus, but it is no longer a death sentence like it used to be.

The goal of being "AIDS-free" is therefore completely achievable if the correct measures are taken. One may doubt the Thai government's competency to do this, but the goal itself is not ridiculous as some posters seem to think.

• Like 1

HIV, a virus that infects white blood cells.

AIDS, a disease which can follow on from HIV.

As Sheryl stated above, there is no reason in this day and age why a person who is HIV positive should go on to develop AIDS, so long as they diligently take medication.

To become AIDS free, Thailand needs 100% detection and 100% medication uptake amongst people with HIV. An ambitious, but achievable, goal.

The Thai government should be applauded for the work they have done nationally to deal with what was a huge problem and for the country's role in the global fight.

It is not quite as simple as that. The antiviral drugs that are prescribed are very powerful and can easily damage the body, particularly the liver and kidneys. My wife who has been infected for 22 years, and did not receive any treatment until 12 years ago, has had to change her medication 4 times. Her present medication has caused her cholesterol levels to rise higher than they should be. Survival can depend on a body being able to withstand the battering that the medications inflict. Another factor is the ignorance of the majority of doctors who are way out of their depth. Other factors that make such an ambitious target difficulty to achieve is the rip off prices that private hospitals shamelessly levy and the Government hospitals do not have the budgets to acquire more up to date and more effective drugs.

Progress is being made and already there have been a few instances where patients have been declared free of the virus. Medication that will ensure that infections do not develop into full blown Aids are at least 10 years off.

The period from infection to development of anti-HIV antibodies is three weeks to three months so the validity of any certificate confirming non infection is questionable.

i am suprised because the figure from last years about people infected with Hiv/Aids, only 10 percent do received medical treatment.

As i did think only rich people can afford it... for the others 90 percent, well you guess their faith

Their goal is simply not possible. Some more obtainable goals might be

1. Reduce the infection rate through education. Several years ago there was an aggressive campaign to reduce the infection rate and it worked for awhile. It needs to be ongoing.

2. Introduce better medical care for those already infected. The public health system is pretty atrocious and access to good health care and medicine is difficult. One has to really work the system to get good care.

3. Educate the public so they better understand HIV and accept those who are infected.

4. While I think already illegal but still in use, stop the use of blood tests when applicants are applying for employment. Thailand is where the US was 30 years ago in AIDS / HIV awareness. Due to HIV testing performed by employers, people with HIV cannot get good employment in Thailand which also blocks access to good healthcare. You can't catch HIV through a sneeze or a handshake or from a toilet seat.

Thailand will aim to have all virgins by 2033. I see that happening much faster than the aids thingy.

The "merkins" have tried to stop this virus and aids and have failed miserably, in their own country.

1 year ago I was a Business subjects Instructor and most students ( 15-17 years old ) was talking about sex during the lunch time and just shocked when they told me that they lost virginity at the age of 12. Then they asked me " How about you?" I told them my parents asked a favor for me to stay virgin until I finish studying in the University and students said really and you follow their command??????? I said yes, because if you love your parents you will follow their command.

I think having a good family and proper education are the most important to stop this virus. Try to educate people.

Edited by Shancloudy

Eliminate AIDS from the Kingdom by 2033 so I take it they have found a cure then the magical vaccination to end all the suffering well done Thailand. I will believe it when I see it so many gob shites in Thailand, Thailand the biggest brothel in the world and not one person HIV positive within 20years quite a goal they can’t be serious surely.