Cruse Controll

Ace of Pop

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the vehicle Iam driving has cruise fitted I definitely use it.

Spooney, You would use an Ejector Seat on Beach Road if you had one.biggrin.png

Ive not driven beach road for a few years now but if vehicle was equipped with an ejector seat why would I use it ?

I guess you are posting your "humour" again but seriously it is lost on me and infact I find it outright aggravating.

Edited by Spoonman
  • Like 1

Back home I always use it and love it. Good roads, good predictable drivers and generally good road behaviour.

In Thailand I've tried a few times but always found it uncomfortable, even on motorways. There's just too much mayhem and one needs to constantly vary speed to allow for it, thus IMHO, rendering cruise control superfluous for me.

I tend to constantly adjust speed to allow for things happening in front of me, behind, or beside me. A few klm/h up or down in speed means you can have a safer driving experience by creating gaps, closing a gap, allowing for merging of vehicles, lane changes to avoid having to brake or vehicles entering the U-turn areas etc. Using CC means that it's constantly on/off and attention to resetting or reactivating takes attention off the road.

Mind you, apart from city driving my main open road driving is between Laem Chabaung and Sattahip on Sukhumvit, so very busy roads. If I managed to get more than 1klm straight without having to adjust speed, I'd be lucky.

My thoughts exactly. I've always considered stuff like cruise control to be pretty much useless in thailand due to the general mayhem on the highways. In fact, I would consider using it to be an actual safety hazard because if the need to constantly turn it on and off as you say. I would say much the same about most of the active and passive safety electronics found on many modern vehicles. They were developed and calibrated for road and driving conditions in Europe, Japan, and north America and I'm sure they would blow their collective fuses when dealing with the driving conditions and close tolerences we see when driving in thailand and most other developing countries.

• Like 1

In Thailand I've tried a few times but always found it uncomfortable, even on motorways. There's just too much mayhem and one needs to constantly vary speed to allow for it, thus IMHO, rendering cruise control superfluous for me.

What he said.

It might be good on the prairies in North America, but useless and anti-social here. By anti-social I mean dawdling in the centre or outside lane at a constant speed, slower than the rest of the traffic. If in doubt keep up!

Oh and passing on the multi-lane highway is no different from passing on a single lane road. Pull out, accelerate, pass , and pull back in. Not dawdle along at 1 or 2 kms faster than the other car whilst holding up the other four cars behind you!

One of the reasons I changed my Vigo to a Fortuner was to get C/C (Not fitted on the Vigo then) and I use it all the time due to the fact that I live not far from the A1 mid Thailand and believe me most of the time it's empty. On the odd occasion I travel to BKK some 350km it's used 80% of the time, now don't get a stiff right foot. Would I change Never but it does depend where you live. Places like BKK Pattaya completely useless.

Saying that do use it on the auto 9 round BKK as on two occasions have been done for going over the 120kph cost me 500bt ago so I set the thing at 118 and can concentrate on the road not the speedo.

Edited by fredob43
  • Like 2

I use C.C. just if the road is clear ahead , not that is often here , also where the speed limit is 120 , but that is also hard due to the other road users having no idea about safe driving and using lanes for overtaking etc.

All in all it's pretty useless here in Thailand , as others have said , tend to spend alot of time making adjustments to speed trying to predict what some peanut in front is going to do . Mostly just easier to drive according to trafic conditions .

• Like 1

Yes Sir, I use my CC on the open roads, stay left, set the speed at a casual pace, not too fast, not too slow, and enjoy the scenery.... Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Enjoy the Sceanery.?. Tut Tut Sir your attention should be on the Road, but you are not alone these days.coffee1.gif

One of the reasons I changed my Vigo to a Fortuner was to get C/C (Not fitted on the Vigo then) and I use it all the time due to the fact that I live not far from the A1 mid Thailand and believe me most of the time it's empty. On the odd occasion I travel to BKK some 350km it's used 80% of the time, now don't get a stiff right foot. Would I change Never but it does depend where you live. Places like BKK Pattaya completely useless.

Saying that do use it on the auto 9 round BKK as on two occasions have been done for going over the 120kph cost me 500bt ago so I set the thing at 118 and can concentrate on the road not the speedo.

The best reply so far in IMO for CC.thumbsup.gif

Back home I always use it and love it. Good roads, good predictable drivers and generally good road behaviour.

I tend to constantly adjust speed to allow for things happening in front of me, behind, or beside me. A few klm/h up or down in speed means you can have a safer driving experience by creating gaps, closing a gap, allowing for merging of vehicles, lane changes to avoid having to brake or vehicles entering the U-turn areas etc. Using CC means that it's constantly on/off and attention to resetting or reactivating takes attention off the road.

Mind you, apart from city driving my main open road driving is between Laem Chabaung and Sattahip on Sukhumvit, so very busy roads. If I managed to get more than 1klm straight without having to adjust speed, I'd be lucky.

That sums up My View of their usefulness here, your comend of English is far better than mine, thats what i mean anyway .Thanks.thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

In my opinion cruise control is a dangerous method of driving,i never use it and have had cars fitted with it for about 25 years now. i remember one case in Oz where a Semi driver on cruise control fell asleep on the freeway to Brisbane and caused enormous damage. Thai drivers are half asleep when supposedly in full control of their vehicles so pity help us if they were in cruise control. As mentioned by other posters, there are to many variables with driving in Thailand to not be in complete control of your vehicle especially if you drive at speed most of the time. Sitting on 80 ks maybe, but then you are more likely to fall asleep and be in more trouble.

In my opinion cruise control is a dangerous method of driving,i never use it and have had cars fitted with it for about 25 years now. i remember one case in Oz where a Semi driver on cruise control fell asleep on the freeway to Brisbane and caused enormous damage. Thai drivers are half asleep when supposedly in full control of their vehicles so pity help us if they were in cruise control. As mentioned by other posters, there are to many variables with driving in Thailand to not be in complete control of your vehicle especially if you drive at speed most of the time. Sitting on 80 ks maybe, but then you are more likely to fall asleep and be in more trouble.

Are you suggesting old matey in the semi if he fell asleep at wheel with no cc the damage would have been lees ?

<snip>

Oh and passing on the multi-lane highway is no different from passing on a single lane road. Pull out, accelerate, pass , and pull back in. Not dawdle along at 1 or 2 kms faster than the other car whilst holding up the other four cars behind you!

So what does that have to do with cruise control? With cc you can increase the speed and automatically change back to the original speed after overtaking.

I love it here, you just have to use it a bit different from back home.

<snip>

So what does that have to do with cruise control? With cc you can increase the speed and automatically change back to the original speed after overtaking.

Everything because lazy people use cruise control and just sit there in whichever lane at a constant speed without the accelerate, pass and pull back in.

I also like it here but never compare with anywhere else because here is here and there is there!

• Like 1

<snip>

Everything because lazy people use cruise control and just sit there in whichever lane at a constant speed without the accelerate, pass and pull back in.

I also like it here but never compare with anywhere else because here is here and there is there!

So it's not cruise control but the driver.

You're making the same mistake AoP is making, and are missing out on the many people that do increase speed on cruise control to overtake.

<snip>

So it's not cruise control but the driver.

You're making the same mistake AoP is making, and are missing out on the many people that do increase speed on cruise control to overtake.

I think that a lot of the peep's in this post have never had C/C or know how to use it, your right once set you can accelerate or decelerate at will without having to disengage same, a Buddha sent on long journeys providing you are on suitable roads. I love it and very glad to be one of the lazy peep's.

N/B try going on a trip from BKK to C/M and see how your right foot/leg feel's at the end of it if you don't have C/C.

Edited by fredob43
  • Like 1

They lower your KPL ,unless used on flat roads. Ive played about with them over the years when ive got bored on long runs,as most of my runs are , but their not my Ting. As for resting ones foot,i find i still cover the throttle cause folks pull out on you here so much.

They lower your KPL ,unless used on flat roads. Ive played about with them over the years when ive got bored on long runs,as most of my runs are , but their not my Ting. As for resting ones foot,i find i still cover the throttle cause folks pull out on you here so much.

I think you should cover the brake peddle, covering the throttle and you could hit them up the butt. But up to you.

Tip get a bigger car and you can see what happening up the road and you wont have to cover anything.

By the way I get better KPL using it at least 1kpl better on a run.

• Like 2