Indonesian Leader Deplores Statement by Aussie PM

News_Editor

Indonesia, Australia, Yudhoyono, spying, NSA

Indonesia’s President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono talks at a Reuters Newsmaker event in Singapore on April 23, 2013,. (Photo: Reuters)

JAKARTA — Indonesia’s president stepped up the pressure on Australia on Tuesday over allegations its neighbor tapped calls from his phone, saying the action was deplorable and will lead to a review of cooperation agreements.

President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono in an Indonesian language tweet confirmed by his office said: “I also deplore the statement of Australian Prime Minister who underestimates the wiretapping of Indonesia, without sense of guilt.â€

A later English tweet used the word regret instead of deplore, and said the statement “belittled this tapping matter on Indonesia, without any remorse.â€

Indonesia had already announced on Monday that it was recalling its ambassador from Australia following reports that Australian spies attempted to listen to the president’s cellphone in 2009.

Australian Broadcasting Corp. and The Guardian reported that they had documents from National Security Agency leaker Edward Snowden showing that the top-secret Australian Signals Directorate also targeted the phones of Indonesian first lady Kristiani Herawati and eight other government ministers and officials.

Yudhoyono tweeted that Indonesia wanted an official response from Australia “that can be understood by the public.â€

“We will also review a number of bilateral cooperation agreements as a consequence of this hurtful action by Australia.â€

Indonesian Presidential Spokesman for Foreign Affairs Teuku Faizasyah confirmed the tweets.

Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott told Parliament Tuesday he regretted any embarrassment that the spying reports had caused Yudhoyono, but ruled out Indonesian demands for an apology and explanation.

“I regard President Yudhoyono as a good friend of Australia, indeed as one of the very best friends that we have anywhere in the world,†Abbott said. “That’s why … I sincerely regret any embarrassment that recent media reports have caused him.â€

Without confirming or denying the truth of reports of spying in 2009, Abbott endorsed Australia’s intelligence gathering in that era before he was elected to government.

“National security … requires a consistent determination to do what’s best for Australia and that’s why this government will support the national security decisions of previous ones, as we will expect future governments to respect ours,†he said.

“Australia should not be expected to apologize for the steps we take to protect our country now or in the past, any more than other governments should be expected to apologize for the similar steps that they have taken,†he said.

Abbott also made similar comments to those already condemned by Yudhoyono as remorsely belittling the tapping controversy.

“The first duty of every government is to protect the country and to advance its national interests,†Abbott said. “That’s why every government gathers information and why every government knows that every other government gathers information.â€

Indonesian Ambassador Nadjib Riphat Kesoema left the Australian capital Canberra on Tuesday morning for Jakarta, urging the Australian government to come clean on the spying episode.

“I think a good explanation will be the best way … to ease the problem,†Kesoema told reporters at Canberra airport.

The diplomatic spat is the second in less than a month between Indonesia and Australia stemming from Snowden’s revelations linking Australia with U.S. espionage.

It’s an early test for Abbott’s government, which was elected in September and is anxious to cement ties with it populous near-neighbor before the uncertainty of Indonesian presidential elections next year.

Australia wants to increase cooperation with Indonesia to solve a politically sensitive problem of asylum seekers paying human traffickers to bring them by boat from the Indonesian archipelago to Australian shores.

The post Indonesian Leader Deplores Statement by Aussie PM appeared first on The Irrawaddy Magazine.

Source: Irrawaddy.org

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the same country who was spying on Australia and tapping/recording conversations of Australian defence officials and politicians in 2004. Now they are in huff about it being done to them. I bet my left nut they are still spying on Australia and other Nations as we speak. Did Australia get into a huff about it and recall their diplomats and demand answers? I don't think so as they continued to provide millions in foreign aid to Indonesia and simply upgraded their security measures.

Spying on your neighbours has been going on since Adam first took a peek at Eve taking a piss.

Sure Indonesia withdraw your diplomats and expel Australia's in protest but keep your hand out for the millions in aid and insist that Australia continues to train your military officers at the Defence Force Academy.

hypocrites

I can only praise our PM for sticking it up the Indonesian Gov by not bowing down to them this time. They do the same but go ape when it is done to them. Loss of Face. He will want to be careful or his AID may drop dramatically or even stop for a while. They have been threatening Australia for years with threats of all sorts with what ever Gov in OZ is in power. Good on you Tony.

• Like 2

People in these parts invariably watch me when I enter my passcode into my Hotmail sign in, obviously memorizing it. I have to order them to look away. Sometimes I'm not sure I can trust 'em alone in my living room when I go into another room for even a moment.

No one likes someone poking into your life, listening in on your phone calls in particular.

But people from around here have to get real, staring with their own slippery behaviors.

Those in high government office especially.

Edited by Publicus

Everyone knows everyone else does this type of spying. It goes with the territory. Has been the same for eon's.

What this is really about is the Indonesian's looking for an excuse to beat up on Tony Abbott. He called and implied all sorts of things about them in the lead up to the election on the topic of boat people.

Now it is pay back time.

If it wasn't the spy thing, they'd look for some other manufactured excuse.

Tony Abbott fast learning you have to play nice in the sand pit with the other kids.

You can be sure the Indon's will make sure that 'stopping the boats' is one election promise Abbott won't be able to keep.

Indonesia has already suspended co operation with Australia over people smuggling and will not resume until Abbot makes a public apology for spying on Indonesia. When will Indonesia apologise for spying on Australia? It will never happen and is a one way street. They will however accept the foreign aid from Australia and that is not on the suspension agenda.

• Like 1

Me thinks Indonesia will stand to lose more than Australia will. If the Australian government doesn't go soft. I remember Australia giving $1 billion dollars in aid after the tsunami. And aid is always ongoing in a one way direction. Hope Abbot cuts the ambilicle cord.

As for ceasing military and intel cooperation... well I think Australia has bigger brothers to rely on than Indonesia in this field. Furthermore Australian SASR trains Indonesia's entire SF group Kopassus. Last year Australia gifted Indonesia 4 C130 aircraft etc etc etc etc......

Everyone knows everyone else does this type of spying. It goes with the territory. Has been the same for eon's.

What this is really about is the Indonesian's looking for an excuse to beat up on Tony Abbott. He called and implied all sorts of things about them in the lead up to the election on the topic of boat people.

Now it is pay back time.

Tony Abbott fast learning you have to play nice in the sand pit with the other kids.

You can be sure the Indon's will make sure that 'stopping the boats' is one election promise Abbott won't be able to keep.

Indonesia has already suspended co operation with Australia over people smuggling and will not resume until Abbot makes a public apology for spying on Indonesia. When will Indonesia apologise for spying on Australia? It will never happen and is a one way street. They will however accept the foreign aid from Australia and that is not on the suspension agenda.

Indonesia was looking to suspend cooperation with Australia over people smuggling from the moment Abbott was elected. How do I know? I had a mate who works for the Indonesian government who works with the Presidents office tell me as much. Given this is a web forum, I don't expect you to believe me, so I'll just put that our there. But for me, that is fact.

This spying stuff was based on the docments leaked by that American bloke. My understanding is that they were released months ago, so this is hardly 'news'. As said, it is convienient excuse to stir and piss Abbott off for this tub thumping on boat arrivals prior to the election.

I believe you. You have a Cobber attached to the president of Indonesia. I can't dispute that nor could I even try.

• Like 1

Samran you are brilliant and you do make the ASIS look like a bunch of window licking dipshits. You main man attached to the president of Indonesia clears it all for us.

Didn't you have a friend attached to the President of the United States at one time????

Edited by chooka

Samran you are brilliant and you do make the ASIS look like a bunch of window licking dipshits. You main man attached to the president of Indonesia clears it all for us.

Didn't you have a friend attached to the President of the United States at one time????

Had coffee once with one of the Bush clan. Does that count?

• Like 1

I bet that Yudhoyono is really pissed that Oz intelligence was monitoring his wife's communications, who knows what juicy background and personal info was picked up. I guess this road bump will be resolved in the coming weeks/months

It is of strategic benefit to Australia to provide aid to Indo for reducing poverty, increasing agricultural output, training and assisting with counter terrorism etc that has been successful in it's objectives in recent years.

http://www.dfat.gov.au/geo/indonesia/indonesia_brief.html

• Like 1

In response to SBY expecting an apology,

This is what one Indonesian had to say about it in the Jakarta Globe by Fransisko Lojaya

“Took 200 years for the aussie gov to apologize for the stolen generation, hope SBY’s not holding his breath”

Source: http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/news/indonesia-suspends-intelligence-military-cooperation-with-australia/#comments

Edited by MK1

Abbott won't apologise, it didn't occur on his watch. Not his problem.

It will wash over after a bit more sabre rattling from Jakarta to make them feel better. Then it will be business as usual...

Of the DSD intelligence that was leaked, I found most interesting the telcos in the region, #1 being the Cambodians with dear leader's company shining brightly on the power point presentation slide...

Bit of a dick move by the USA, but can't be helped when the rats are gnawing on the wires...

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Now it is pay back time.

Indonesia was looking to suspend cooperation with Australia over people smuggling from the moment Abbott was elected. How do I know? I had a mate who works for the Indonesian government who works with the Presidents office tell me as much. Given this is a web forum, I don't expect you to believe me, so I'll just put that our there. But for me, that is fact.

This spying stuff was based on the docments leaked by that American bloke. My understanding is that they were released months ago, so this is hardly 'news'. As said, it is convienient excuse to stir and piss Abbott off for this tub thumping on boat arrivals prior to the election.

And Abbott wasn't even in government when this is " alleged " to have taken place. It was the F.O.T and her cronies.

It seems that Indonesia has got Australia by the balls and is squeezing. Apparently Abbot is drafting a formal letter of apology for Indonesia. Once again Australia bows down to the more powerful bigger kids.

I hope Australia asks for an apology from Indonesia over it's 2004 spying on Australia. Probably won't happen as Australia is afraid of getting a backhander across the face and told to bugger off.

Edited by chooka

This is what one Indonesian had to say about it in the Jakarta Globe by Fransisko Lojaya

“Took 200 years for the aussie gov to apologize for the stolen generation, hope SBY’s not holding his breath”

Source: http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/news/indonesia-suspends-intelligence-military-cooperation-with-australia/#comments

The stolen generation removals occurred between 1907 and 1969. Your maths is out quite a bit. But yes I agree SBY will be waiting a while.

• Like 1

F.O.T??

You can't say that this is a Labor Liberal thing. The parliamentary committee which oversees intelligence is bipartisan and the opposition always has senior representation on such a committee.

Thing here is Australia got sprung. And cause we need Indonesia more than they need us, we've got to do a bit of ceremonial grovelling, and let the Indonesians have some important angry looking meetings while allowing them to 'withdraw' their ambassador even though he was going back for the summer holidays anyway.

Faux anger done, the Indons will let the boats come until they can figure out what they can trade for further cooperation.

• Like 1

The stolen generation removals occurred between 1907 and 1969. Your maths is out quite a bit. But yes I agree SBY will be waiting a while.

This was the perception observed of Indonesians take on Australia history; even though not factually correct. I did not change what was commented. See the link and you will further understand their pre-conceived ideas. while not far off the mark.

So with Indonesia withdrawing co operation on people smuggling, military and intelligence how is this going to effect the sinking boats. Normally it was the Australian Navy who goes to their rescue even in Indonesian waters. If these boats sink in Indonesian waters I presume they blame will be laid squarely on Australia because of the spying incident and the cut in co operation. Indonesia will take no responsibility.

• Like 1

Apparently Abbot is drafting a formal letter of apology for Indonesia.

Do you have a source ?

ABC News this morning on the Australia Network.

WOW ! Massive backflip if it is true. Almost shameful. I cannot find anything on it ATM. Just stories on Indonesians burning Australian flags and what not.rolleyes.gif