Security measures are starving monks, claims temple resident

Lite Beer

Security measures starving monks, claims temple resident
By Coconuts Bangkok

blockade2.jpg?itok=Qo8jTFbK

Monks at a temple near the prime minister's offices complain they're having to cook for themselves.

Security measures in place under the Internal Security Act due to political unrest have prevented the monks at Wat Benchamabophit from receiving alms, according to Apichart Punnachantho.

Police began volunteering to clean the temple after Apichart complained on Facebook that the many barricades, equipment, barbed wire fences and vehicles surrounding the temple were blocking access.

Read More: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2013/11/19/security-measures-starving-monks-claims-temple-resident

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2013-11-19

Do you see my index finger moving back and forth over my thumb, well that is the smallest violin playing Hearts and Flowers for them. A couple of monks just the other day asked me for B100 so they could take a tuk tuk ride to their temple and wanted to tie a string around my wrist for it. I told them to walk there.

• Like 2

Is it possible that one of their ex brothers may be able to arrange an air drop of emergency food supplies for them?,

Anyway what's the problem? A little hardship is supposed to be good fro ones soul isn't it?

• Like 2

Did not think they were supposed to have materialistic things or possession like, laptops and computers etc.?

Why then do I see them at the phone shops looking at the latest phones??

You don't see them all shopping for phones... just one or two... no need to tarnish all Monks with the same brush, much in the same way we as Westerners hate being tarnished with the sexpat brush (well, some of us anyway)...

I suspect there is an easy fix for this, the monks can go further a field for their alms, alternatively the government can ensure that the Monks are fed until this situation passes.

It seems to me that this is nothing more than crappy headline hunting by Coconuts.

Guess everyone has seen many poor starving monks out each morning waddling along the road looking as though a week or two of fasting would do wonders for their wellbeing.

Really hope they get over it and off their <deleted> and do something constructive for a change.

This is not meant to denigrate the many who do follow what they teach and who probably deserve assistance to survive.

• Like 1

Thai monks need their latest smart phone data service all the time to spread god's word.

Sme even spread by LINE, What'What's App, Twitter, Facebook etc

Same same to Christian priests.

Wasn't aware that they (monks) spread God's word - unless of course you are referring to the ones that blindly follow the overseas fugitive.

• Like 1

You don't see them all shopping for phones... just one or two... no need to tarnish all Monks with the same brush, much in the same way we as Westerners hate being tarnished with the sexpat brush (well, some of us anyway)...

Ok fine, it are maybe only two or a few more each time, but then, why there are always two or a few more each and every time I visit Phantip or MBK.

Thai monks need their latest smart phone data service all the time to spread god's word.

I hope that was an attempt at humor. Buddhism is not a "God based" let alone "God's word" religion, and probably wouldn't fit under many definitions of religion, as there is no intercession by some all powerful invisible being in the philosophy. That said, doesn't seem such a hardship to make your own meals. I do that myself and don't feel I have somehow slipped down a rung or two on the wheel. But then again, most Thai men can't cook or do domestic duties in my experience.

Monks at a temple near the prime minister's offices complain they're having to cook for themselves.

Life's a bummer. Some of my prayers went unanswered too.

Love the presumption that the only answer to a prayer is yes.

You got an answer. S/he said NO. Did your children stop bothering you for something if you said no?

I hope that was an attempt at humor. Buddhism is not a "God based" let alone "God's word" religion, and probably wouldn't fit under many definitions of religion, as there is no intercession by some all powerful invisible being in the philosophy. That said, doesn't seem such a hardship to make your own meals. I do that myself and don't feel I have somehow slipped down a rung or two on the wheel. But then again, most Thai men can't cook or do domestic duties in my experience.

Buddhism is considered a "religion" because government officials around the world have no better word for the philosophy of life. A lot of Buddhist "practices" are leftovers from Hinduism (Buddha was a Hindu Monk before "enlightement") and animalistic practices.

Buddhism is considered a "religion" because government officials around the world have no better word for the philosophy of life. A lot of Buddhist "practices" are leftovers from Hinduism (Buddha was a Hindu Monk before "enlightement") and animalistic practices.

Correct. "Religion" is an unfortunately broad term that leads people into making many unwarranted assumptions about Buddhism and other "spiritual" activities (another failure of vocabulary there I think).

To illustrate: Chess and Muay Thai are both sports. But combining this fact with an understanding of Muay Thai would not lead one to a very accurate understanding of chess.

Maybe this guy could air drop them some food.

Posted Image

or a couple of gucci & versace bags while he's at it.

Sent from my GT-I9200 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

German padre spunked 26 million euro on his home, pope no amused a smacked bottom. Religion is one of the biggest rip offs going.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Correct. "Religion" is an unfortunately broad term that leads people into making many unwarranted assumptions about Buddhism and other "spiritual" activities (another failure of vocabulary there I think).

To illustrate: Chess and Muay Thai are both sports. But combining this fact with an understanding of Muay Thai would not lead one to a very accurate understanding of chess.

That is a lame analogy... it does not make sense. Chess is a game not a sport - one is mental the other is physical - chess will expand your intellect whereas Muay Thai has a good chance of crippling the body as well as the intellect. The illustration begins with an incorrect premise that then negates the entire line of reasoning.

If "there is no intercession by some all powerful invisible being" in Buddhism; why do believers go to the trouble of praying for good luck/merit by wearing charms, burning incense, bowing, contributing gold to plate statues, go on pilgrimages, etc? To answer my own question; they do so because they desire an "intercession by some all powerful invisible being".... and why do they desire that.... because that is what they've been taught. Buddhism, as practiced by the majority, comes across as no different than any other religion regardless of the intentions of the original philosophy.

"If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck and walks like a duck it's probably a duck."

If I would feel the need to pray I would pray to Batman to come to life and fly down and save me.... it makes just as much sense.... and he has no monks/priests that need cash. Need more....coffee1.gif