ThaiVisa Editor Problem with IE11 "and now Chrome 31?"

Pib

OK, before I started a post that identified ThaiVisa compatibility problems with the new IE11 and George confirmed there are issues and they are working to fix them.

I decided to switch to Chrome over the last week while testing/comparing IE11, Chrome 31,and Firefox 25. I notice a frequent occurrence when using the ThaiVisa Editor under Chrome is when I click the "Preview Post" button the ThaiVisa Editor don't always redisplay the Editor text entry window below the Preview Text window....I then have to hit the Preview Post button several more times to get the "complete" set of windows/areas to display which includes the PreView Post window and the window below it where you can type in text. And sometimes the window where you can type-in text just won't reappear no matter how many times I click the PreView Post button and I then have to copy the text in the preview window, cancel the post, and start all over. I do not have this problem with IE11 or Firefox...although with IE11 there are other ThaiVisa compatibility issues already discussed in another thread.

See below for a "normal" Preview Post screen after you click the Preview Post button, where it Previews the post at the top and also include the text window below it.

post-55970-0-31254300-1384842524_thumb.j

And then see below for an "abnormal" Preview Post screen where the window you can continue to type-in text is missing

post-55970-0-61408500-1384842536_thumb.j

Boy, I think the ThaiVisa Editor seems to be the acid test for some browsers. I use Win 7 on a True 15Mb internet plan.

One additional piece of info regarding the problem is whenever it happen in the lower left or right hand corner of the browser window Chrome says: "waiting for static.thaivisa.com...." When it operates properly you don't see that...you will very briefly see "waiting for thaivisa.com..." and a couple other brief links will very briefly appear and then the editor preview window and text window open as normal...but when seeing the "waiting for static.thaivisa.com..." the problem occurs.

I'm pretty sure I found the problem. It was a setting in a proxy switching extension named SwitchySharp. When set to Direct Connection the problem occurs; when set to System Proxy I don't have the problem--or at least I haven't experienced the problem over the last 24 hours. When set to System Proxy the ThaiVisa Editor also responds faster besides just not having the problem I described.

I'm still not exactly sure what Direct Connection means in the extension...kinda sounds like you are just connecting to another computer plus the Help/Instructions for the extension is pretty minimal like many Apps/Add-ons/Extensions. When doing some googling on the subject I found out that IE and Firefox default to the System Proxy in their settings and as mentioned in my opening post I was not having this Editor problem with IE or Firefox. When I set SwitchySharp to the System Proxy setting my Editor problem went away and the Editor got more responsive.

I've been using this extension for around 5 days and I guess I mistakenly set it to Direct Connection when playing around with it and adding in the two True proxies. Not knowing what the default setting was (it didn't say) I just removed it and then re-installed it to see which setting it started off at and it started off in the System Proxy setting.

But with the extension set to Direct Connection it would surf the internet just fine and the only place I had any problem was with the ThaiVisa Editor--the acid test for browsers. Before clicking the Add Reply button I clicked the Preview Post button one dozen times and the Editor previewed the post properly with the preview and text windows...so, I'm pretty sure the problem was this extension setting. Good to go now....all part of the learning experience in switching to a different browser and getting it setup to your liking.

By the way, for anyone on a True plan the proxies for True are:

proxy.trueinternet.co.th Port 8080

proxy.asianet.co.th Port 8080

They can help speed up your surfing "sometimes" and also allow you to reach certain pages you can't under a normal connection "sometimes." Your results may vary. Sometimes using one of the proxies will speed up ThaiVisa...other times I just switch to a VPN connection....all depends on how the internet is acting at point X in time. One other thing they do if using Speedtest.net to test to an international website, they will prevent the bogus faster than the speed of light download speed and ping time...or at least it does on my computers.

Edited by Pib