Thailand may be removed from US human trafficking watch list

webfact

HUMAN TRAFFICKING
Thailand may be removed from US human trafficking watch list: Labour permanent secretary
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Permanent Secretary for Labour Ministry Jirasak Sukhonthachart said Tuesday that the US government was pleased with Thailand's on-going efforts to eradicate human trafficking and may remove Bangkok from its second-tier watch list of human trafficking countries.

Jirasak said he had learnt of the latest US stand toward Thailand from Kristina Kvien, the economic counselor of the US embassy.

Kvien visited Jirasak Tuesday to introduce herself upon assuming duty in Bangkok.

Jirasak quoted Kvien as telling him that the US government was pleased that Bangkok treated the issue as a national agenda and enforced some measures to fight against human trafficking.

In particular, the US government was pleased that the Labour Ministry set up a co-ordination centre to oversee fishing workers so that all fishing crews and owners of fishing boats were registered and fishing crews were hired with written contracts. This allowed the fishing workers to realise their basic rights, Jirasak said.

Moreover, the US government was pleased that owners of fishing boats were encouraged to register their workers into the social security system.

Anyway, Kvien expressed concern about the human trafficking situation along the borders with Thailand's neighbouring countries, Jirasak said.

He said he informed her that the joint border committees of Thailand and those countries were already taking care of the problems.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-11-19

I am sure that the new US Embassy employee is so happy about having her discourse about a private meeting so widely blabbed around the press.

Particularly in her official "human trafficking" position of Economic Counselor. I'm guessing that a senior figure has just explained to her that this is a MASSIVE lesson in Thai politics with the final words "In future just say 'That's not my responsibility'".

• Like 1

It would be interesting, indeed, to hear the other party's take on the discussion.

Like draftvader, I think she just got an introductory lesson in Asian politics. Not specific to Thailand, but very common in Asia.

Edited by impulse

I am sure that the new US Embassy employee is so happy about having her discourse about a private meeting so widely blabbed around the press.

Particularly in her official "human trafficking" position of Economic Counselor. I'm guessing that a senior figure has just explained to her that this is a MASSIVE lesson in Thai politics with the final words "In future just say 'That's not my responsibility'".

Indeed. Of course, what would be good now, is if the Embassy issues a statement completely rebutting the statement from the Thai side.

Does anyone seriously believe that it is likely in about 6 months of efforts that Thailand can go from the 3rd tier to being removed?

• Like 2

Actually human trafficking is done out in the open, like the Cambodian kid beggars in BKK. Also have seen vanloads of school kids being stamped through the immigration gate at Mae Sai without their personal info checked. Life is cheap here so of course there is a problem. I generally like Thai people but find some things here utterly lacking in compassion and heart.

• Like 1

Gosh another maybe change in status... They are just talking about an upgrade of list category. They will still be on an at risk country for trafficking.

A similar announcement was made about money laundering lists.

Hey Thailand how about making an announcement when it's done.

Sounds a lot like the many proclamations about Thailand being a Hub of this or that. Never really amounts to much.

• Like 1

"In particular, the US government was pleased that the Labour Ministry set up a co-ordination centre to oversee fishing workers so that all fishing crews and owners of fishing boats were registered and fishing crews were hired with written contracts. This allowed the fishing workers to realise their basic rights, Jirasak said.

Moreover, the US government was pleased that owners of fishing boats were encouraged to register their workers into the social security system."

For those of us that live in Thailand with a buisness or profession. The statement is typically all bark and no bite. Pontification with glaring inadequance and fuzzy enough to sound good but not actually confront the problem..just short of dishonesty. For example, where is the obligating word 'enforcement' applied with each action phrase?

The US officials appear sooooo gullible. If the officials were asian, after such a statement, they would infact tighten the screw further...until absolute results became apparent.

IMHO, A minor example of how unskilled US officialdom is in policing asian. Now, IMHO, China is starting to walk and talk like an asian father figure. The US is acting like a giant kwai in a china shop (pardon the mixed metaphors and puns).

Another 'countering negative image and de-emphasizing' paperwork excercise...worthy of a MBA freshman homework assignment.

• Like 2

Not yet......there's still a long way to go.....like making a start to eradicate trafficking!

Words alone are not enough.

Wouldn't you say tho, that there's been a united effort to make it more difficult, (notice the choice of words), to distinguish humans to traffick. A totally different political football than the sex trade, but the comparison used of allowing fishing workers to realise their basic rights, is definately a step in the right direction. xWPFflags.gif.pagespeed.ic.cfZbv2j3Cp.we

• Like 1

The US offers only encouragement but did not make any formal steps to remove Thailand from second-tier watch list. So Thailand is still on the hook for proving itself and that effort has to demonstrate irrevocable actions in its national policies. Sothere must be more than Thai government platitudes. time will tell.

Thai to English Translation: Thai bureaucrat manipulating an unofficial statement from a high profile individual for endorsement of his nonexistent work to distort it as looking productive in order to parlay in front of his superiors in hope of future promotion as a minister in order to kiss the highest arse available, TS himself.

• Like 1

"owners of fishing boats were encouraged to register their workers into the social security system." If that isn't a lip service statement, I don't know what is..... any mention of navy selling Rohinga to Malaysians and all that sort of rot?

And the only country in the world that is prostitute free

and counterfeit free

and corruption free

As an American, I wonder why the US Government deems it as their responsibility to police the world? The US has immense internal issues but is not included on its own watch list. The US Government feels quite comfortable scolding other countries for human trafficking, human right abuses when it's house is in disorder.

It's about time China, Russia or some other country stepped up and started its own watch list with my country on it.

Just my 2-US Cents

• Like 1

Finally the meaning of life in the East comes to me.

Is not that any lie, as much as strategically handle the truth with an apparent careless ignorance, which invariably in the end, is for their own as yet undeterminable benefit.

Well, "goody, goody gum drops!" about time the Yankees got a bit of their own medicine, with folks blabbing about their "confidential" discussions.

Seems it is okay for Uncle SAM to spy on everyone else around the world, so it is only fair that people let the cat out of the bag on "confidential" American business.

One can be hopeful , however on this occasion I'd like to think that it would be a miss print if this happened, nothing of significant has developed in policy , the PTP are to re-occupied with trying to get Thaskin Shinawatra back and a few street demonstrations ,to worry about human trafficking.bah.gif

Well, "goody, goody gum drops!" about time the Yankees got a bit of their own medicine, with folks blabbing about their "confidential" discussions.

Seems it is okay for Uncle SAM to spy on everyone else around the world, so it is only fair that people let the cat out of the bag on "confidential" American business.

My suggestion would be, save the gum drops for later. Yes, we as a country need to have our hands slapped when we are caught doing what others most likely are doing as well.

Spying is a necessary evil in today's world as not everyone loves everyone else. I don't know what country you hail from, but I doubt your country's naval fleet was ever bombed into oblivion due to poor "spying", or an attack was launched on one of your major cities downtown with catastrophic results.

I take no satisfaction in knowing my country engages in espionage, but neither do I shrug off attacks on our embassies in Benghazi, Kenya or attacks on our citizens around the world. Our foreign policy invites violence, but as they saying goes, "Their are those that wish you evil regardless of your best intentions".

Before one criticizes or throws stones, I would suggest that they have their own national house in order.

In particular, the US government was pleased that the Labour Ministry set up a co-ordination centre to oversee fishing workers so that all fishing crews and owners of fishing boats were registered and fishing crews were hired with written contracts. This allowed the fishing workers to realise their basic rights, Jirasak said.

This is so far from the truth it is kind of disgusting to pretend otherwise.

The Thai fishing industry is dependent on exploitation of "undocumented" labour from Myanmar etc. They don't have contracts and they don't have "rights". The industry is riddled with human trafficking and labour abuses - it's pretty much the worst - and having heard a number of US government officials speak on the issue I am rather stunned that the PS could have got it into his head that they are thinking of taking Thailand off the watch list. Fat chance.

• Like 1

"In particular, the US government was pleased that the Labour Ministry set up a co-ordination centre to oversee fishing workers so that all fishing crews and owners of fishing boats were registered and fishing crews were hired with written contracts. This allowed the fishing workers to realise their basic rights, Jirasak said.

Moreover, the US government was pleased that owners of fishing boats were encouraged to register their workers into the social security system."

For those of us that live in Thailand with a buisness or profession. The statement is typically all bark and no bite. Pontification with glaring inadequance and fuzzy enough to sound good but not actually confront the problem..just short of dishonesty. For example, where is the obligating word 'enforcement' applied with each action phrase?

The US officials appear sooooo gullible. If the officials were asian, after such a statement, they would infact tighten the screw further...until absolute results became apparent.

IMHO, A minor example of how unskilled US officialdom is in policing asian. Now, IMHO, China is starting to walk and talk like an asian father figure. The US is acting like a giant kwai in a china shop (pardon the mixed metaphors and puns).

Another 'countering negative image and de-emphasizing' paperwork excercise...worthy of a MBA freshman homework assignment.

I would have to disagree. What is unsaid in this declaration is that Thailand hasn't yet made enough progress in human trafficking to be removed from the list but they are given a little pat on the back for some progress. China as a father figure? Could you imagine China being concerned with actual human beings unless they took a blow to their big ego? Don't think so. The US may be a buffalo in a china shop but give them some credit for trying to do some good.