Lost Passport - advice please.

Hi, I see there are already a number of various threads on this topic, which have proved very useful - thanks to previous contributors..

..but I've not managed to find one that answers questions regarding my specific situation..

I live in Thailand permanantly on a non-Imm O visa which has been extended twice on the basis of retirement, with 90 day reporting, etc.. Yesterday, I somehow managed to loose my Passport whilst getting a Residence Letter from my local immigration office for the purpose of renewing my 5 year driving licence.

I've reported the loss to my local police, and have the necessary police report.

I have completed a lost passport notification form ready to send with my replacement passport application.

I have completed a replacement passport application form and will be shortly sending it off.

Questions.

1. Do I need to keep the police report (e.g. in lieu of a Passport), or should I send it (or a copy) with my passport application?

2. Should I send a copy of the lost passport notification form to the British Embassy in BKK as well as enclosing it with the replacement PP application? Would e-mailing a scanned copy be advised?

3. Can I use a Visa DEBIT card (issued by a UK bank) to pay for the replacement passport, or does it have to be a CREDIT card?

4. Once I recieve my new passport, can I get new non-imm O, and retirement extension stamps added - if so how, or will I need to leave Thailand and re-enter?

5. Can I renew my DL now (using PP copies, etc, and police loss report) or do I need to wait until I get my new PP (and various stamps, new Residence Letter, etc..) How long can I keep using my expired DL?

Thanks in anticipation....

You will need a copy of police report for immigration when you go to get stamps put in new passport. Do you have copies of your old passport.

Suggest you contact the embassy about reporting your lost passport.

You can use a debit card for payment.

For DL all I can suggest is to try.

TV wouldn't allow me to use the "Quote" system in order to answer so my numbers are the same as the OP's questions:

1. There is no requirement for you to keep it but retaining a copy may prove useful.

2. Not necessary.

3. See links in my earlier answer.

4. To my knowledge your extension will be transferred but i'll stand corrected if this isn't the case.

5. Your local DVLA may allow it but your new DL will show your current Ppt no.

HTH

Edited by evadgib

Immigration have said I can get the necessary pp stamp copies from them.

But did they tell you whether you needed to provide them with an Embassy "visa transfer" letter as per the attachment when getting your new passport stamped as necessary in due course? If not, I suggest that you check this with them since there have been mixed reports on here as regards Maptaput. Although they did not ask for this letter when I got my (then) existing stamps transferred from old to new passport last February, at least 3 fellow Brit Rayongites have subsequently posted stating that this letter was required in their cases.

Incidentally, do you actually live in Rayong City itself?

post-63387-0-92206600-1384943825_thumb.j

Edited by OJAS

• 4 weeks later...

OK - update.....

Apologies to the last two posters - I've only just seen these posts....

My new passport arrived yesterday - so just over 3 weeks since I applied, which wasn't bad as I had to send replacement photo's.

I contacted Maptaphut Immigration this morning, and indeed yes, they do require an embassy letter.... So a letter from me is winging it's way to the British Embassy in Bangkok as I post this.

OJAS - I live just outside of Rayong city, but rarely visit.

thrilled - Good idea I usually have loads of copies, but unfortunately I'd used my last copies of the various stamps, TM7, etc, just before I lost the PP..... I'll make sure I keep plenty next time though.

thrilled - Good idea I usually have loads of copies, but unfortunately I'd used my last copies of the various stamps, TM7, etc, just before I lost the PP..... I'll make sure I keep plenty next time though.

Just a little tip that others have found useful, scan a copy of your passport onto your computer, also email it to yourself on all the email address you have, you can then obtain a copy should you need it in the future, wherever you happen to be.

• Like 1

One unrelated question that I'll tack on here to save creating yet another thread.

I recently met a canadian who has just arrived here with a 1 year multi-entry Non-Immigrant O-A visa...(i.e. a Retirement visa issued in Canada). He understands that he can leave and return as often as he likes until the visa expires (sometime in Sept 2014), although his current TM6 shows 12 months from his arrival, i.e sometime on October '14.

He's been advised by local Immigration that providing he leaves and returns prior to the visa expity date, he will recieve a further 12 months period of stay. There was no mention of requiring 90 day reporting - is this correct?

Secondly, he wants to know if he can extend this visa for a further 12 months, and if so whether it must be done before the visa expires, or before the "stay until" date.

I can post as a new enquiry if required...

He needs to make 90 day reports if he stays 90 consecutive days in Thailand, without leaving.

If his visa expires in Sept 2014, he can just leave and return to Thailand the same day just before the visa expires. He then gets a new 1 year permission to stay.

Once on that permission he will need to get a re-entry permit to leave and return to Thailand after the visa itself is expired.

He can apply for an extension to stay in the last 30 days of his permisison to stay.

One unrelated question that I'll tack on here to save creating yet another thread.

I recently met a canadian who has just arrived here with a 1 year multi-entry Non-Immigrant O-A visa...(i.e. a Retirement visa issued in Canada). He understands that he can leave and return as often as he likes until the visa expires (sometime in Sept 2014), although his current TM6 shows 12 months from his arrival, i.e sometime on October '14.

He's been advised by local Immigration that providing he leaves and returns prior to the visa expity date, he will recieve a further 12 months period of stay. There was no mention of requiring 90 day reporting - is this correct?

Secondly, he wants to know if he can extend this visa for a further 12 months, and if so whether it must be done before the visa expires, or before the "stay until" date.

I can post as a new enquiry if required...

If he does an entry just before his visa expires (enter before date on visa sticker) he will get another one year entry. No need to do an extension until one year from that entry.

He needs to do 90 reports if he is in the country for 90 days or more.

Update....

I wrote to the British Embassy requesting their "visa transfer" letter - received OK.

Then on to Immigration at MTP. It took most of the afternoon but finally managed to get all the relevant visas and stamps added. The also accepted the 90 day check (even though it was a couple of weeks early), and re-issued the residence letter for my driving licence.

Just need to get on and renew the licence now (7 week late!)......

Thanks again for all previous info.

Oh, and "Seasons Greeting" to all looking in....

Edited by steve73
  • Like 1

Yes, glad to hear that all was well that ended well, Steve.

Your experience confirms my view of Maptaput - namely that they don't tend to make a drama out of a crisis - in stark contrast to other immigration offices according to reports I've seen on TV. Indeed, it makes reassuring reading in case I ever find myself in the same boat!

Incidentally, did they specifically ask you for the Embassy letter in the event?

Thanks for the update Steve.

There's nothing complicated or difficult about sorting a new PP, it's just a right royal (and expensive) pain in the @r$# sad.png

Isnt there ? If you follow the links provided in this thread you now have to apply in person at the embassy and take photo id with you which if you haven't got a driving licence would be difficult for most people. Oh and don't forget that proof of residence which if your travelling around is impossible.

Edited by parryhandy

OJAS - "Incidentally, did they specifically ask you for the Embassy letter in the event?"

Yes - I (or rather my other half) phoned immigration and asked them what I needed to do, and they confirmed they needed the embassy letter before coming in for the replacement stamps. As you say, not really difficult to do, just a somewhat unnecessary expense, and hassle, and a little worrying to be without PP for a while, although in the event, as usual, it was not actutally required.

As a final closing, I renewed my driving licence today - took almost 4 hours at a very busy Rayong office - for nearly a further 6 years (since it seems to go to the 5th birthday AFTER the renewal date).

I now have plenty of PP copies, and a scanned and e-m'd copy as well, so I can safely lock it up until my next extension is due in a couple of months...

Again, thanks to all for the assistance, and glad to see we were not infested with trolls.....