renewing extension of stay early

Hi,

My extension of stay based on Non-Imm B and work permit will expire soon and I'll need to extend it for another year (as per previous years). However, this time I won't be able to be in the country for the time of expiry (including the four weeks leading up to it).

Is it possible to apply for renewal of extension of stay early? Of course I would lose one month of visa validity, but would this be an option? Or do renewals necessarily have to be done at the end of the validity?

Thanks

Most places allow up to 45 days early and might allow even more if justified (although that is becoming less common). You do not lose any time as extension starts from end of current permitted to stay date for the normal one year if that is the extension requested.

• Like 1

Provided, of course, that the Labour Office give you the thumbs-up, it might then be worth your while taking evidence of your travel plans (presumably in the form of confirmed airline bookings) along to Immigration with you when pleading your case for an extension before the standard 30/45 days.

Just a follow up questions: In the past the usual extension process would involve applying at the end of the visa expiry date, getting a 30 day extension, and then after 30 days receiving the new one-year extension and visa.

If this 30 day waiting period is always required then it would still be a problem for me as I won't be in the country for more than 30 days over December and into January, returning after my current extension of stay expires. So even if I could apply 30 days earlier in Bangkok, then I would still need to be there again 30 days later to receive my final stamp...

Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks

My wife and I applied for a consideration about 3 weeks early and, as mentioned above, got a stamp to get my extension on the date that I would have gotten if I had come in at the usual time. That makes my consideration period about 7 weeks instead of about 4.

I had hoped they would set it for 30 days from the day we came in, but I understand why they didn't.

What I'm wondering now is this. If I come in 30 days from our extension request, is there a good chance my extension will be ready (i.e., about 3 weeks before the stamped consideration date)? If so, I expect that they would then stamp my passport for the following year, usual time.

I'll be going in for a re-entry stamp, and if I time it right (just a few days before the trip) it will be 30 days after we applied for the extension. I know I can get the re-entry during the consideration period. But for reasons related to my marriage extension requirements, I'd really like to get things done early.

I might be forgiven for asking if my extension is ready 30 days after the app date - not sure if they'd check unless I do so.

If there is no appropriate way to ask if my extension is ready, or if the policy is to not renew the extension until close to the stamped date (i.e., not processing early) then I might as well get the re-entry earlier. This is because waiting until just a few days before the trip is risky (Murphy's Law)!

Edited by Upcountry

My wife and I applied for a consideration about 3 weeks early and, as mentioned above, got a stamp to get my extension on the date that I would have gotten if I had come in at the usual time. That makes my consideration period about 7 weeks instead of about 4.

I had hoped they would set it for 30 days from the day we came in, but I understand why they didn't.

What I'm wondering now is this. If I come in 30 days from our extension request, is there a good chance my extension will be ready (i.e., about 3 weeks before the stamped consideration date)? If so, I expect that they would then stamp my passport for the following year, usual time.

I'll be going in for a re-entry stamp, and if I time it right (just a few days before the trip) it will be 30 days after we applied for the extension. I know I can get the re-entry during the consideration period. But for reasons related to my marriage extension requirements, I'd really like to get things done early.

I might be forgiven for asking if my extension is ready 30 days after the app date - not sure if they'd check unless I do so.

If there is no appropriate way to ask if my extension is ready, or if the policy is to not renew the extension until close to the stamped date (i.e., not processing early) then I might as well get the re-entry earlier. This is because waiting until just a few days before the trip is risky (Murphy's Law)!

For extension based upon marriage most immigration offices start the 30 days from when your current permit to stay date.

You could call immigration to see if your extension has been approved.

My last extension was approved by the regional headquarters in Khorat 8 days after I applied.

Edited by ubonjoe