Distraction and poor experience main causes of motor accidents in Thailand: survey

webfact

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"According to this survey, most motorists with record of accident or near-accident have three to five years of driving experience, followed by those with 11 to 15 years of driving experience."

It doesn't matter how long one has been driving if their driving experience is limited to unsafe practices. How about total disregard for laws and statutes, in addition to having no awareness of dangerous behaviors? How many times do you see riders on a motorbike during rainy weather with an umbrella in one hand and a cell phone pressed against their ears? I have never seen anyone stopped for this infraction (If it is an infraction on the books). These dangerous behaviors have less to do with lack of awareness and more to do with Thailand not requiring motor vehicle operators to pass adequate driving tests. In addition, if there are statutes requiring safe operation of motor vehicles, they are not uniformly enforced. The responsibility for these crashes lie on everyone, top to bottom, who ignore safety practices.As long a a driver has a few hundred baht for pay offs, and this practice is tolerated, no improvement in road safety will ever happen.

Almost funny thinking of getting a car and teaching the wife after her years of driving a bike and explaining we're getting a beater first. Told her that after years of experience with new drivers, I didn't want her to go through the pain of buying a new car until she'd had three accidents and learned from the mistakes.

Just wasn't expecting her to get so good so fast.w00t.gif

Some wise man once said " we cannot make a hammer 100% idiot proof", I doubt that any motorized vehicle would stand a chance against this bunch of drivers. There use to be figuress that something like 95% of the accidents are preventable. just due to the human factor (stupid) involved.

A 30% casuality rate on the roads, make some of the wars in history look appealling instead of letting the Thai drivers take a shot at you.

When conducting a survey the stats thrown out are not the main factors. I earlier listed more important causes, the most I listed are the things that could be dealt with before the accidents. Lets tell the truth MOST of these are NOT accidents---mere incidents.

And that is the word "incidents" used for a long time by insurers, not accidents, let there be road rules, laws and applied without discrimination.

Again that's why I have a dash cam with 2 rotating cam's NO more BIB saying you go to fast, you to long on right side, point to the cam and it's ok after a few seconds to evaluate, ok drive safe Mr you go go go now.

• Like 1

Lately road fatalities in Thailand beat most of the countries in the world according to WHO statistic data.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

According to the link there are about 38 road fatalities a year out of 100000 people in Thailand, which places Thailand in top 4 of deadly crashes in the world. Ahead of Thailand are just Libya, Dominican Republic and Eritrea. I am not surprised because we hear constantly of bus and van crashes with numerous fatalities each time. Thailand has a problem and it must seriously educate people how do drive safely! So far nothing is done, it just gets worse!

I am currently driving 100 kph on my scooter with my wife, 2 kids, and dog hanging off the back. We all are carrying a bag of groceries....

hold on, going through tunnel.

whoa, roads are wet.

anyhow, i agree, way to many clowns out there not being safe!!!! wai2.gif

• Like 1

Driving licenses are too easy to obtain.------------No provisional L plate for a year.------------far too many underage drivers----------only spasmodic road blocks for tea money rather than patrols.--------------uninsured/tax vehicles on the road-----------big majority of PARENTS condone illegal drivers------the list is endless----------distraction/experience is a problem, but the biggest problem is ATTITUDE total disregard for others and themselves--most idiots

Drugs and alcohol another big problem. In stead of having 2 major problems that most crop up re-accidents, here you have a multitude to correct, and that is near impossible.-----Government/police/local authorities and again parents adhering to the LAW. near anarchy on the road, and OFF.

My Thai girl friend's ten year old son drives a motor bike to school, and thinks it's funny that I am concern about his safety and for others on the road with him, he is grossly overweight and owns a pedal bike but will not ride it to school, I have made it clear if he has or causes an accident I will not be paying for it that took the smile off her face

Driving licenses are too easy to obtain.------------No provisional L plate for a year.------------far too many underage drivers----------only spasmodic road blocks for tea money rather than patrols.--------------uninsured/tax vehicles on the road-----------big majority of PARENTS condone illegal drivers------the list is endless----------distraction/experience is a problem, but the biggest problem is ATTITUDE total disregard for others and themselves--most idiots

Drugs and alcohol another big problem. In stead of having 2 major problems that most crop up re-accidents, here you have a multitude to correct, and that is near impossible.-----Government/police/local authorities and again parents adhering to the LAW. near anarchy on the road, and OFF.

I have been told that driving on the road is a Thai RIGHT (that all Thais have - any age). In many countries it is deemed a privilege.

I blame the lack of common sense - and it's not only Thailand: it's a problem in most countries in the world. They can't even park a car in the right place let alone drive the bloody things at 150km/hr. They can't even walk on pavements without causing hassle. They never consider what the consequences of their actions are - never. Not only driving - in everything they do.

• Like 2

The inability to use the steering wheel, thereby cutting every corner. Not looking before entering a main road. The inability to drive at a speed somewhere between very slow and very fast. The belief that the rear view mirror is supplied solely to dangle Buddhas and 20 baht flower garlands, which incidentally considerably restrict forward vision. Driving without lights. Driving with entire light shows front and back. No road sense or spatial awareness. Crap roads full of potholes. Truck and bus drivers on yaba. Overloaded, illegally modified vehicles. Etc. Etc. Etc.

Driving round bends as if the vehicle is loaded up with crates of eggs.

Oh why do I bother, so many examples of poor driving, driving without regard of the rules or of other road users.

Selfish behaviour and blah blah blah........

My Thai girl friend's ten year old son drives a motor bike to school, and thinks it's funny that I am concern about his safety and for others on the road with him, he is grossly overweight and owns a pedal bike but will not ride it to school, I have made it clear if he has or causes an accident I will not be paying for it that took the smile off her face

Typical. BUT sorry If I had a girl friend with an overweight son and she smiled at me when I pointed out danger to the boy and others, I would be long gone from that attitude. Each to his own, but it would be a warning to me for future in that house.

• Like 2

I have been told that driving on the road is a Thai RIGHT (that all Thais have - any age). In many countries it is deemed a privilege.

AND driving on the right is a Thai right.

One more to add to my earlier rant. Undertaking - especially when I'm in the left lane, indicating (in good time) to take a left turn, some dozy motorcyclist will come steaming up on the inside regardless.

What's more, they look at you as if YOU have done something stupid!

Which reminds me - my gf took her test after considerable persuasion a month back. She came home with the 'driving code' booklet a couple of days earlier, looked at me in amazement, and said "teerak, it say have to overtake on right side!"

Sums it up really.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Of course that same motorcyclist isn't legally allowed to go to the outside lane to overtake you so they can only pass you on the inside. You need to be the one watching out for them.

No mention of alcohol.! must be that Thainess, again.

It took until post #9 before Alcohol was mentioned. That has got the be the #1 cause of accidents, but there are certainly many more causes in this country that give alcohol a run for its money and many were already mentioned above post #9.

I love this quote.

"Eight per cent of Thai motorists (8 per cent) drive without a license"

How many of you have wives and GF's with licenses when you met them? How many of their family members had licenses. In my situation the answer is a big fat 0. The number of Thai people without licenses, at least in rural Thailand must be closer to 50% or even much higher.

• Like 2

It took until post #9 before Alcohol was mentioned. That has got the be the #1 cause of accidents, but there are certainly many more causes in this country that give alcohol a run for its money and many were already mentioned above post #9.

I love this quote.

"Eight per cent of Thai motorists (8 per cent) drive without a license"

How many of you have wives and GF's with licenses when you met them? How many of their family members had licenses. In my situation the answer is a big fat 0. The number of Thai people without licenses, at least in rural Thailand must be closer to 50% or even much higher.

Eradicating most of these accidents would be as impossible as eradicating the present police force. Things have to stay like -or near to this, unless another country invades and takes over the running of things.

Hi All, I am a newcomer to this forum but I have followed the threads for a while now. Driving, or more accurately, poor driving, is something that really gets my goat. However, I believe partial blame lies with the authorities who simply ignore illegal driving practices. If the appropriate authorities were to take a zero-tolerance approach to (all) drivers using phones, overtaking illegally, driving on the wrong side, the wrong way, no lights, etc perhaps things might change. The total disrespect for basic driving law appears to be almost universal. Nothing will change until there is a motivation to change. Another annoying factor is that millions of baht are being spent on new pavement/walkways and roads (Srinakarin) and as soon as they are complete what has been produced is nothing more than a new thoroughfare for motorbikes. Should we be tramping along the road as they seem quite comfortable driving on the sidewalk? And lastly, when I take a taxi and the driver starts on the phone I ask him nicely to stop. If he refuses I take a picture of him and tell him I will send to the traffic police. I get some laughs but mostly they down phone and we both have a safer trip.

I think that would be up there as a major cause.

On all that has been posted here of so many factors of how the incidents took place, and rightly so, BUT again if licenses were issued to drivers after proving they could drive in a safe manner -----police patrolled and stopped the stupidity/punished NOT collect money----Parents became responsible for KEYS to vehicles,------roads repaired to safety standards-PARTICULALLY motor bike lanes on highways, large pot holes that buckle wheels and throw off m/c riders. Government-police-schools-PARENTS should be made to be accountable for their under aged children riding/driving.

In car TV screens on the centre console.

Driving too close to the vehicle in front.

Selfishness.

Lack of common sense........

Last week I was behind a van, with a TV fixed under the rear vision mirror.

I couldn't believe it, and got closer when we stopped at the lights - sure enough, it was about the size of a 15inch lap top screen. Great for the concentration.

As most Thais cannot have a meal/powder their nose, without taking their idiot/smart phone with them, I can well imagine they'd be used while driving.

I distinctly remember reading a quote from a minister in this current government about a year ago (can't recall which minister) when he was asked why driving-whilst-phoning wasn't banned.............his reply was to the effect that it was not a problem because "Thais can do both at the same time"!