Distraction and poor experience main causes of motor accidents in Thailand: survey

webfact

ACCIDENTS
Distraction and poor experience main causes of motor accidents: survey

The Nation

cc.jpg

File photo

BANGKOK: -- Eight per cent of Thai motorists (8 per cent) drive without a license and most of them are in the 18-24 years age bracket, according to a Nielsen survey.

The survey aimed to find out driving behaviours and in-car activities following the police reports that as many as 54,341 accident were reported in Thailand in 2012 with 7,634 fatalities, 3,551 major injuries and 17,465 minor injuries. This indicates that 3 out of 10 motorists in Thailand have been involved in a motor accident and one solid cause of motor accident is the motorists themselves who are distracted away from the road ahead or the steering wheel in their hands.

"It is interesting to know whether or not motorists continue to engage themselves in those activities that caused them accidents previously. According to the survey findings, they do. Most motorists still change the stations on their radio or switch CDs while driving, as well as to chat with their passengers, despite these being two prominent causes of road accidents. Additionally, the survey finds that 36 percent of motorists still talk on their mobile phone without the use of a hands-free device as well," said Somwalee Limrachtamorn, Nielsen's Director of Automotive Business.

"Perhaps, this suggests that the activities mentioned are essential to the motorists and in a way inevitable. Makers of automobile may take advantage of this by developing new safety features or functions to help mitigate risks from such behaviors of the motorists and enhance the overall safety performance of their products. We must not evaluate the sufficiency of safety measures in place and determine what the next steps should be in the case where they are found to be lacking."

The survey revealed that talking on mobile phone without the use of a hands-free device is the greatest cause of motor accident (11 per cent). The level of risk is the same for drinking of beverages while driving. These are followed by chatting with passengers and manipulation of the radio (8 per cent).

According to this survey, most motorists with record of accident or near-accident have three to five years of driving experience, followed by those with 11 to 15 years of driving experience.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-11-20

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some wise man once said " we cannot make a hammer 100% idiot proof", I doubt that any motorized vehicle would stand a chance against this bunch of drivers. There use to be figuress that something like 95% of the accidents are preventable. just due to the human factor (stupid) involved.

A 30% casuality rate on the roads, make some of the wars in history look appealling instead of letting the Thai drivers take a shot at you.

When conducting a survey the stats thrown out are not the main factors. I earlier listed more important causes, the most I listed are the things that could be dealt with before the accidents. Lets tell the truth MOST of these are NOT accidents---mere incidents.

• Like 1

This indicates that 3 out of 10 motorists in Thailand have been involved in a motor accident.

I know this figure is high enough but I reckon it's even higher. IMO so many people hit and run here that I'm sure maybe half of all motorists are involved in RTA's.

From my observations I think a complete inability to see beyond the front of their noses coupled with a selfish driving attitude is the root of many accidents. Many drivers here simply don't allow themselves enough time to react to other road users or potential hazard because their head is up their arse. The times I've seen drivers on highways suddenly swerve out of the way of a pothole into the next lane at the very last minute in front of other traffic when I've already seen the pothole well in advance and already made my manoeuvre to avoid it,

Just this morning I was at a set of traffic lights and a Benz S-Class was sitting with his indicator going in the turn-right lane. Lights turned green, Benz moves off, starts to turn right and gets t-boned by a guy on a motorcycle flying up the outside of the cars.

• Like 1

One more to add to my earlier rant. Undertaking - especially when I'm in the left lane, indicating (in good time) to take a left turn, some dozy motorcyclist will come steaming up on the inside regardless.

What's more, they look at you as if YOU have done something stupid!

Which reminds me - my gf took her test after considerable persuasion a month back. She came home with the 'driving code' booklet a couple of days earlier, looked at me in amazement, and said "teerak, it say have to overtake on right side!"

Sums it up really.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

most people I see in cars are looking at their phones. The light turns green, they sit there or start off ever so

freaking slowly because they are looking at their phones.

I have a driver one day a week for about an hour. When he talks on the phone and hears something

negative, he slows down, something again he goes even slower and does the lane drift thing.

What to do? Can't change what they don't understand. blink.png

Actually the main problem of most of the accidents are the inability of many Thais to judge distance on the roads when traveling over 50km/Ph with the on coming traffic traveling at over 70km/Ph. in other-words they find it difficult to judge distance in 3D just ask any Thai to draw a box in 3D in under 5 seconds on a plain piece of paper without a ruler and you will understand what i mean.

• Like 1