Legal fees

Talk to one of the many 'business agencies' in Bkk and other centers, they can / will assist you to get a work permit / visa at a very small fraction of the fees quoted by 'international' law firms with offices in Thailand.

Avoid these law firms, they will try to convince you that these two items (work permit / aligned visa) are very complex and very difficult, and take months to process. Not true!

In fact there are many accounting firms who are well capable of doing this and do it regularly as a simple sideline with very minimal fees.

The application forms and explanations of the support documents are all available in the threads at the start of Thai Visa. The application and renewal forms are not complex.

Don't be swayed to think the company documents needed are complex and take a long-time to prepare. Not true. The needed company support documents are used frequently for many different business processes and are readily available within the company.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

If its Bangkok Labour office.. Expect about 7K, but it has to be someone who travels with several applications at a time.

If you use a Bangkok Lawyer and they have to travel say to Prathum Thani, Nothaburi etc.. then the price will go up quite a lot.

If you need a recommendation PM me

Thanks, I quess I can then safely assume that the 70,000 Baht I was quoted was extreme.

Sounds like a good deal smile.png

As said before a simple process no need for lawyers !

Maybe no need for premium priced lawyers, particularly those who have an expat on staff.

Para-legals and junior staff can usually handle this sort of thing and I find that my time is worth more than theirs so of course I use an agent every year.

Only once I had to go to the labour office that was on initial issue of the work permit, consecutive years I just hand over the WP to a courier and it comes back a week later extended.

Thanks for the replies.

A few more questions related to the work permit.

If a business visa is issued 2 months before the work permit application, do you need to pay Social Security for these two months before they will grant you a WP even though you cannot legally work before receiving the WP?

Do I need to pick-up the WP from immigration in person when it is first issued, or can I have a surrogate do this for me?

Thanks for the replies.

If a business visa is issued 2 months before the work permit application, do you need to pay Social Security for these two months before they will grant you a WP even though you cannot legally work before receiving the WP?

Do I need to pick-up the WP from immigration in person when it is first issued, or can I have a surrogate do this for me?

WP's are not issued by "immigration"

Boy you're just a remarkable source of wisdomthumbsup.gif alt=thumbsup.gif width=25 height=19> ..

If your intended "employer" is unable to assist in navigating the fairly simple WP and Visa issues I would suggest seeking employment elsewheresmile.png

Edited by Sceptict11

Avoid law firms that lower themselves to have pay poster to advertise their law firm online in other forums. They are one of the biggest and with locations here in Bangkok and Phuket along with in USA and I believe UK. They need to have people answer questions and advertise their company.

Thanks for the replies.

You should have the Non B visa before you enter the country, if you do not have one you wil have to exit the country to obtain one.

There will be no need to have to back pay social security as the payments/contribution should have been with held from your salary.

I assume this company that is employing you is rather small ?

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies.

If you are already here you will be able to get a B visa without the work permit application being done already at any nearby embassy or consulate. Work permit application can be done with a tourist visa.

No tax payment proof is needed for work permit application.

Edited by ubonjoe

This can vary from 60 -100K depending upon the work. I suggest you shop around and obtain quotes from most of the International Law firms. All firms usually offer separate packages for the Visa and the work permit processes. It is likely you will have to exit and obtain a category non-immigrant cat ‘B ‘ Visa but you should see a lawyer first so they can prepare the documents. When you arrive back, you have 30 days from which to lodge your work permit application but don’t wait until the last minute expecting a miracle. You can try and work out the process yourself but you will only make a mess of it in the end; by trying to take short cuts. The immigration department and department of labor are more accountable than ever before. So get a lawyer son: get a good one.

Edited by MK1

This can vary from 60 -100K depending upon the work. I suggest you shop around and obtain quotes from most of the International Law firms. All firms usually offer separate packages for the Visa and the work permit processes. It is likely you will have to exit and obtain a category non-immigrant cat ‘B ‘ Visa  but you should see a lawyer first so they can prepare the documents. When you arrive back, you have 30 days from which to lodge your work permit application but don’t wait until the last minute expecting a miracle. You can try and work out the process yourself but you will only make a mess of it in the end; by trying to take short cuts.  The immigration department and department of labor are more accountable than ever before. So get a lawyer son: get a good one.

An individual working for a company should never need a lawyer or other assistance. Getting the work permit is the employers responsibility and providing required documents for a visa and extension of stay also.

What you writing about is forming your own company including the mentioned fees.

• Like 1