Scams, accidents in Thailand scare away foreign tourists

webfact

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand has great beaches, fantastic food, friendly people, a good infrastructure compared to other developing countries and will continue to be one of the world's top tourist detinations. Is it perfect? Of course not, where is? Scams, accidents have always been a part of tourism and will continue to be so. If the 2004 tsunami and the 2010 political unrest didn't put tourists off, not much will.

good infrastructure?

do you mind in Bangkok maybe, agree Bangkok has good infrastructure but when

you leave the metropolis is like 200 years ago. They did not change anything.

Have you ever traveled to Chiang Mai or Samut Prakan by road?

What's incredible is that there are not so many accidents with such roads.

As this thread is about tourism, I meant in the main tourist resorts and cities. Infrastructure covers more than just the roads, and in comparison to its rival tourist destinations in the region Thailand's tourist infrastructure is superior in many respects.

• Like 1

For it is a miracle that still tourists choose to visit Thailand.
It is not unlikely that you as a tourist get robbed or you became a victim of fraud. The Thai believe that they can have some of the big wallet farang. So that nice souvenir suddenly cost you 2 till 10 times the price. Even me, who wanted to buy a piece of sticker paper (35bt) cost suddenly 300 bt. I know what to do, but do you know?
More worse are the very violent robberies of tuktuk drivers who force clients to pay 10 times as normal, which is compared with extreme violence as well.
And what about mr. police officer? Often you have "I no speak english". Plus the law seems to be different in every city.......
After 10 years I have leaned to avoid places as Pattaya. No good at all.
Is it true that every day a farang dies? Yes, I think so, an average of one a day.
Accidents are accidents, but HOW did they occur? Killed by a waterscooter? Your bus drove of the edge? You simply cross the street, while the cars had a red stop sign? Oh... you taxi van driver took drugs? Oh so sad. :-(
No, responsibility is a nasty word in Thailand.
The government does noting at all... were just.... the... oh farang, the alien.
Nothing is arranged and when there is a new Law, no Thai will comply to it. The taxi vans have a speed limit of 90km/h......hahahahhaahahahah NOBODY drive 90km/h. It is forbidden to call while you drive.... ahahhahahahahaahha.... every Thai call while he drive. And so, I can tell you many other things which do not help safty.
Edited by navara

It is not unlikely that you as a tourist get robbed or you became a victim of fraud. The Thai believe that they can have some of the big wallet farang. So that nice souvenir suddenly cost you 2 till 10 times the price. Even me, who wanted to buy a piece of sticker paper (35bt) cost suddenly 300 bt. I know what to do, but do you know?

More worse are the very violent robberies of tuktuk drivers who force clients to pay 10 times as normal, which is compared with extreme violence as well.

And what about mr. police officer? Often you have "I no speak english". Plus the law seems to be different in every city.......

Is it true that every day a farang dies? Yes, I think so, an average of one a day.

Accidents are accidents, but HOW did they occur? Killed by a waterscooter? Your bus drove of the edge? You simply cross the street, while the cars had a red stop sign? Oh... you taxi van driver took drugs? Oh so sad. :-(

Nothing is arranged and when there is a new Law, no Thai will comply to it. The taxi vans have a speed limit of 90km/h......hahahahhaahahahah NOBODY drive 90km/h. It is forbidden to call while you drive.... ahahhahahahahaahha.... every Thai call while he drive. And so, I can tell you many other things which do not help safty.

Miracles happen. But then again your post is exaggerated nonsense.

Edited by brewsterbudgen

At least, Russia acts.

Have you ever seen a Western government doing anything of importance to protect their citizens in Thailand?

agreed , pity the russian Gov;t dont give two hoots about their citizens when they are back in Russia !

Someone remind them not to forget the jetski boys, the police, and the taxi drivers.

The taxi/ tuk tuk drivers get the 35% commission from the gem shops, tourist attractions etc..

On top of the inflated rates they charge. That is why the cruise ships and big hotels are such

a battle ground in regards to access for the taxi.tuk tuk mafia, The commissions are massive

when they have nothing to do with the sale. The tourist wants to go to a shop or a site and

the driver gets the kickback.

The differences between getting scammed or cheated in a western country and Thailand, in the west you can report it to the police and people will be arrested and punished, report it here to police in Thailand and it will cost more because they will also need a cut of the scam profits.

Edited by metisdead
Large and bold font reset to normal, control your font!

More power to the Russian government. To effect change in Thailand, you have to hit them in the

wallet which is clearly what Russia is doing. All their tourists here are sort of annoying, but if they can

straighten out the scam / accident problems which no other farang government has been to do,

then I say great.....

The differences between getting scammed or cheated in a western country and Thailand, in the west you can report it to the police and people will be arrested and punished, report it here to police in Thailand and it will cost more because they will also need a cut of the scam profits.

Anyone who holidays (or lives) in Thailand and expects it to be the same as the west is really pretty foolish.

Im surprised that you you will visit Thailand at all........it seems like a warsone the way you describes it.

And don`t you think that if Thailands neighbours suddenly got an rise in mass tourism you will get a lot of the same problems there as the ones you mention for Thailand above?

Scams will scare away a percentage of tourists that have just returned home from holiday here. They do not scare 1st time holidaymakers from booking.

Completely agree that's exactly the reason.

It remains and it will remain millions or billions in the whole world of uninformed or unconcerned tourists wishing to explore the land of smiles.

And even if a tan per cent of them is scammed this it will not have enough repercussion in their home countries to scare or make change destination to other future visitors.

Scammers still have victims for years. They know very well to who can scam.

Also that's why scammers and fake stuff vendors don't like expats because they don't have a way back ticket.

• 2 weeks later...