Two trillion baht bill likely to be killed by charter court

webfact

40 senators seek review of Bt2-trillion loan bill
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Group-of-40 Senators yesterday submitted a petition to the Constitutional Court seeking a judicial review on whether or not the government's Bt2-trillion loan bill violates the charter.

The group alleges that the bill - which cleared the final reading in the Senate a little before 3am on Wednesday - was in violation of the charter's Article 170 as it allows the government to spend the borrowed money without having to submit the plan to the Finance Ministry first.

Senators Kamnoon Sidhisamarn, Paiboon Nititawan and Rosana Tositrakul are part of the group.

Democrat MPs have also submitted a similar petition via parliamentary president Somsak Kiatsuranont. They also submitted evidence showing a Pheu Thai MP allegedly using his colleague's identification card to vote.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-11-22

• Like 2

"The fund needed for the high-speed train project can buy up to 330 planes and the air fares will be cheaper than the high-speed train fares, he said."

They would also go to far more places. Strangely enough, airlines already service regional airports, but haven't seen the need to hugely increase the number of flights, probably because there isn't the demand.

OTOH look how many people are crammed into 3rd class carriages on a 5th class railway service with speeds little over walking pace and all too regular derailments..

• Like 1

"The fund needed for the high-speed train project can buy up to 330 planes and the air fares will be cheaper than the high-speed train fares, he said."

They would also go to far more places. Strangely enough, airlines already service regional airports, but haven't seen the need to hugely increase the number of flights, probably because there isn't the demand.

OTOH look how many people are crammed into 3rd class carriages on a 5th class railway service with speeds little over walking pace and all too regular derailments..

There is a demand, but because of the low numbers of flights, primarily upto four a day for most regional airports of note, the costs are too high to be available to Joe average. Creating shuttle services on hourly bases would fill seats, as the costs would likely match or better the Nokchaiair type of coach services which are becoming evermore affordable and popular.

-mel.

He suggested the government to rethink the Bangkok-Chiang Mai high-speed train project and to refocus on dual-track rail project.

There are no doubts that a decent rail connection between major cities is a priority, if only for heavy transports, but also for passenger transport. Not everyone feels comfortable in an airplane and road transportation is slow and more dangerous.

The issue is that too much of the money will disappear. I notice the new drainage they are currently installing along highway 7 between Chonburi and Pattaya, and if you take a look at that job you will notice that the drainage will never be functional. However I have no doubt that a enormous budget was approved for it.

Of course the contractors have no other choice since they receive only a fraction of what is needed to perform a decent job, while the other part will buy some people a few Benz and Bentley's.

Edited by PeterSmiles

Duel tracks, high speed trains... I would prefer to start with a single track normal speed train that

actually get to it's destination, reliable, affordable and on time and without getting derailed, stuck,

or simply no go train on any super duper futuristic mega money pit...

• Like 2

The people I was talking to last night seem to really hate the Shinawatras and really believe that the 2 trillion baht loan is their attempt to "financially rape" Thailand one last time before abandoning the country. That's why they've tried to push through a situation where there won't be much or any accountability about how it is spent. I thought what they said was pretty wild and extreme.

• Like 1

The people I was talking to last night seem to really hate the Shinawatras and really believe that the 2 trillion baht loan is their attempt to "financially rape" Thailand one last time before abandoning the country. That's why they've tried to push through a situation where there won't be much or any accountability about how it is spent. I thought what they said was pretty wild and extreme. 

I m sure they want to have no checks and no accountability as this is a great opportunity for Mr T and the reds to rape Thailand and future generations of Thais financially.

The Democrats might not be clean and i hope that every corrupt official Democrat or PTP gets punished but even so they never dis it at this scale.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

My personal view is get a rail service similar to UK, semi-high speed-dual track example-2 and a half hours to BKK from Udon Thani. used to be 125 service. saving a trillion.

if people want a quicker service they will fly, but this system gives the service near equal to a flight given check in and luggage collection.

The biggest problem would be the road crossings (safety-foolproof) and I meant FOOL proof.

Get on at Udon with luggage 8am-arrive latest 11 am. flight Udon check in 7am flight 8am-arrive BKK 9am out of airport 10 am.

difference 1 hour. You would certainly get many fly customers on to rail, and you can carry as much luggage as poss.

• Like 1

Lawmakers oppose passage of bill for Bt2 trillion loans
By English News

13850860645913.jpg

BANGKOK, Nov 22 – A group of senators and MPs have sought the Constitution Court’s ruling on the legality of the parliamentary passage of a bill to borrow Bt2 trillion (about US$62 million) for infrastructure development.

A letter, endorsed by 55 senators and 11 Democrat MPs, was submitted to the Constitution Court through Parliament President Somsak Kiatsuranont yesterday.

The lawmakers said the government-sponsored bill was a breach of Sections 169 and 170 of the Constitution, reasoning that the Finance Ministry was not empowered to allocate spending without going through the national budget system.

The lawmakers asked the court to nullify the bill but no legal action was sought against legislators who passed the bill. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-11-22

• Like 1

By English News

13850860645913.jpg

BANGKOK, Nov 22 – A group of senators and MPs have sought the Constitution Court’s ruling on the legality of the parliamentary passage of a bill to borrow Bt2 trillion (about US$62 million) for infrastructure development.

A letter, endorsed by 55 senators and 11 Democrat MPs, was submitted to the Constitution Court through Parliament President Somsak Kiatsuranont yesterday.

The lawmakers said the government-sponsored bill was a breach of Sections 169 and 170 of the Constitution, reasoning that the Finance Ministry was not empowered to allocate spending without going through the national budget system.

The lawmakers asked the court to nullify the bill but no legal action was sought against legislators who passed the bill. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2013-11-22

Another NEAR win I hope. Government get the money privately to improve infrastructure, through normal budget means. it should then be easily scrutinized.

I have heard this a lot too lately. It seems that Thaksin is angry at Thailand and therefor want to destroy it.

By English News

13850860645913.jpg

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2013-11-22

USD 62 BILLION (62,000,000,000) not million!

Edited by Nickymaster

By English News

13850860645913.jpg

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2013-11-22

What's a few zeros among friends eh?biggrin.png

whistling.gif This bill is the real thing the government wants.

All the rest is just trimmings ... the corruption and graft they will get from two trillion baht is what they are looking for.

Even if on;y 10% of two trillion baht is somehow "wasted" it will by a lot of Bentleys and Mercedes won't it.

By English News

13850860645913.jpg

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2013-11-22

Another NEAR win I hope. Government get the money privately to improve infrastructure, through normal budget means. it should then be easily scrutinized.

There is no way a high speed train would ever recover the cost to build and maintain. There are simply not enough people to use it. The poor would never get the money for a ticket and many others would still prefer to fly. I too have heard well placed Thai's who say they want to rape the country while they can if they get their hands on 2 trillion baht. Do any of these people have any idea of just how much money that is??

By English News

13850860645913.jpg

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2013-11-22

There is no way a high speed train would ever recover the cost to build and maintain. There are simply not enough people to use it. The poor would never get the money for a ticket and many others would still prefer to fly. I too have heard well placed Thai's who say they want to rape the country while they can if they get their hands on 2 trillion baht. Do any of these people have any idea of just how much money that is??

I suggested middle for diddle -----fast-UK style

In the UK recently I got a return ticket London-to the north, 200 miles in one hour 40 mins for 24 pound(1,200 bht ) RETURN book in advance.

There would be enough people to use this style than the High speed you and the government are planning. see my other post-to compare flight and rail here (times) fill these trains and at lower cost than BUS, one third of Bus time.

NOT this Chinese high speed --never---even Japanese bullet NoNo.....British 125 or 150 series style adequate for here for 20 years, then you would have wide gauge track in place to update later..

• Like 2

By English News

13850860645913.jpg

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2013-11-22

"Do any of these people have any idea of just how much money that is?"

No, and this bill will never get one kid out of the rice fields or give them an education to compete with their ASEAN counterparts. I'd say that most of the North East that has been the backbone of Thaksin can't even numerically write out two trillion much less comprehend the amount.

Edited by Local Drunk

By English News

13850860645913.jpg

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2013-11-22

Your correction is right. But 62 million is probably the real amount that will be used for improvements. Maybe it is the news writers way of warning people. It looks like a typo error but it it?

• Like 2

The issue here is not the merits of the infrastructure bill, but the fact that the Constitutional Court is being asked, time and time again, to make policy. I find it quite ironic that a political party dubbed "The Democracts" would attempt to legislate not through a majority in Parliament brought about by actual elections but through the courts. I suppose it is to be expected. The Democrats apparently feel no need to compete in national elections so therefore they have no choice but to use the courts.

• Like 1

The issue here is not the merits of the infrastructure bill, but the fact that the Constitutional Court is being asked, time and time again, to make policy. I find it quite ironic that a political party dubbed "The Democracts" would attempt to legislate not through a majority in Parliament brought about by actual elections but through the courts. I suppose it is to be expected. The Democrats apparently feel no need to compete in national elections so therefore they have no choice but to use the courts.

The courts are being asked whether legislation is legal. Just because PTP have a majority in parliament, doesn't mean they can pass laws illegally.

• Like 1