Poor Isaan...

kirstymelb101

Being poor doesn't necessarily mean misery.

totster smile.png

I have often found the people who have the most are the least happy. And there has actually been experiment conducted by sociologists which confirm that.

Well, that kind of depends on the metric really.. a family who is starving hungry because they have no money to feed themselves is more likely to be less happy than a family who can easily afford to eat at the finest restaurants.

There are a lot of variables to consider before making a committed statement like yours.

totster smile.png

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So at first look it seems Mukdahan is the winner.. however per capita Amnat Charoen clinches it !

Personally I always believed it was Yasothon..

totster smile.png

Really? A majority of my family comes from Yasothon, and they seem like the happiest people alive !

I guess I'm fortunate to come from a good family and have the opportunity to grow up in Oz.

Being poor doesn't necessarily mean misery.

totster smile.png

I have often found the people who have the most are the least happy. And there has actually been experiment conducted by sociologists which confirm that.

And you believed that?

cheesy.gif

Us rich people would like all of you poor people to believe that money only makes you miserable. Keep up the good work.

• Like 2

There are no poor regions in Thailand anymore. Yingluck erased this problem a while ago.

I fear our North American friends may not get your humour. Perhaps a sarcasm free translation is required.rolleyes.gif

A comment that hits the trifecta!

Presumptive, inaccurate, and downright silly.

Edited by klikster
  • Like 2

If you ever manage to talk to the old village guys (maybe in Lao or Cambodge) they will tell you about life 50 years ago. A moneyless society, much more of a community spirit, hunting for wild deer instead of frogs, food no problem everyone knowing everyone in the village. It wasn't a perfect society but it was stable, honest, hard working. It was around the time that the first young girls started coming back from Bangkok, Pattaya and Phuket that they realised that they had no money, no TV, no fridge... no gold...

those times are gone, so people are now poor, which they weren't before when they never saw a Baht from one year to the next.

• Like 1

^^^^^^

I dont know about poor Issan or not.

One thing I do know, a Thai friend of mine was up KK way the other week trying to recruit workers, he was offering 500 baht per day. No takers.

It would seem those with skills are off working elsewhere and earning way more than minimum wage, those left behing are quite happy to stay upcountry and earn 300 baht per day.

There is now in many parts of the country a labour shortage, the only way for employers to counteract this is to offer more wages, said friend is now having to pay 750 baht per day, even then its difficult to attract people for short term employment, many are wanting at least one months work before moving south.

^^^^^^

I dont know about poor Issan or not.

One thing I do know, a Thai friend of mine was up KK way the other week trying to recruit workers, he was offering 500 baht per day. No takers.

It would seem those with skills are off working elsewhere and earning way more than minimum wage, those left behing are quite happy to stay upcountry and earn 300 baht per day.

There is now in many parts of the country a labour shortage, the only way for employers to counteract this is to offer more wages, said friend is now having to pay 750 baht per day, even then its difficult to attract people for short term employment, many are wanting at least one months work before moving south.

My BIL's beer, buirds and lao khao bill is such that he doesn't get out of bed for less than 1,000 baht a day these days.

Actually come to think of it, he doesn't get out of bed smile.png

There are no poor regions in Thailand anymore. Yingluck erased this problem a while ago.

I fear our North American friends may not get your humour. Perhaps a sarcasm free translation is required.rolleyes.gif

I'm from North America and I get it.

How about sakon nakhon? Does anyone know about livelihood of the people in this province?

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Tapatalk 2

My good friend lives in Sakon nakhon and if u don't mind people who enjoy eating dog, I'm sure you will get by fine !!

Wonderful. Finally someone who eats dogs instead of letting them run loose killing small pets, making ungodly noise, and harassing people.

I hear they taste just like chicken. tongue.png

How about sakon nakhon? Does anyone know about livelihood of the people in this province?

My good friend lives in Sakon nakhon and if u don't mind people who enjoy eating dog, I'm sure you will get by fine !!
l nearly chucked up when l see g/f father catch clean and eat rat and loving it. he want me eat l say no thanks he thinks me ting tong

l nearly chucked up when l see g/f father catch clean and eat rat and loving it. he want me eat l say no thanks he thinks me ting tong

Yup! That sounds about right..Last nights my cousin's went rat hunting around the farm.. With their spotlights and spears lurking the bushes..

So at first look it seems Mukdahan is the winner.. however per capita Amnat Charoen clinches it !

Personally I always believed it was Yasothon.. 

totster Posted Image

Really? A majority of my family comes from Yasothon, and they seem like the happiest people alive !

I guess I'm fortunate to come from a good family and have the opportunity to grow up in Oz. 

melbourne, lol. Brizvegas my friend.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

My good friend lives in Sakon nakhon and if u don't mind people who enjoy eating  dog, I'm sure you will get by fine !!
rat from the farms are vegetarian, what do they feed chickens and pigs in your home country? Hormones , growth enhancer sand many other chemicals. Rat is pure and healthy as long as they come from the rice or cane farms. Taste good but the name rat put westerners off.

rat from the farms are vegetarian, what do they feed chickens and pigs in your home country? Hormones , growth enhancer sand many other chemicals. Rat is pure and healthy as long as they come from the rice or cane farms. Taste good but the name rat put westerners off.

Ozybear l know we westerners are frightful of this little rodent that caused some big plauge years and years before. l grant you when he was cooking the big mother f#####g rat it smelt pretty good, but still could not go the distance to eat this little sucker.

p.s l probally spelt the desease word wrong

• Like 1

My good friend lives in Sakon nakhon and if u don't mind people who enjoy eating  dog, I'm sure you will get by fine !!

Ozybear l know we westerners are frightful of this little rodent that caused some big plauge years and years before. l grant you when he was cooking the big mother f#####g rat it smelt pretty good, but still could not go the distance to eat this little sucker.

I'm sure the have added some to the soup you eat Lol.

I'm sure the have added some to the soup you eat Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app Ozybear you have me thinking now . god l will never eat fathers food again

okay.....I can't hold in my anguish anymore. I've eaten rat before on many occasions. The first time I had tried it my initial thought it was frog or liver, but I came to realize it wasn't either one. By the time I realized it was actually rat, it was too late to turn back time. And it was real tasty. If you're curious about a certain dish/food don't ask what it is until you've tried it, and then make your assumption based on taste.

• Like 2

I didn't travel 8000 miles to eat rat and dog. I see no need. Rat in our house is eaten at times because they like it. I can have squid, shrimp and pork available for mealtime but, they like to eat traditional isaan food at times. It's simply what they're used to. I once asked why they can eat rat and dog - response was "why not"

Just like why do they choose to take some good pork or chicken, chop it up into mini morsels and add baa-lah.

I think Thais, and especially Isaan people pretty dam smart when it comes to food, where others would starve, they prosper.

I've taken my wife out bush in Africa, where we thought we'd be shown what can be eaten from the bush, instead she was showing them different things.

She still can't understand why a plague of locusts was a bad thing, to her it would have been a bounty of food (any other Aussies remember some people trying to sell Locusts as "Flying Prawns"?)

Every time she and the kids go for a walk to the farm, it's like walking through a smorgasbord, stopping and snacking as they go.

• Like 1