Airports of Thailand (AOT) to push for departure tax rise

webfact

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

AOT is majority owned by the government isn't it? And it is profit making today?

So, this is just a small way for the government to gouge another little bit of cash out of tourists. Then add in the next 500 baht total entry fee, and they have raised quite a bit of tax.

What this shows me, is that this bunch have not got enough funds coming in and they need to identify sources of revenue rapidly. They have given away this and that on income tax and corporation tax, so how to fill the hole without putting up VAT?

Tax tourists.....

• Like 1

"He said that AOT would seek to increase departure tax on domestic flight passenger from 100 baht to 200 baht, and international flight passenger from 700 baht to 800 baht.

He said that the increase would help to cut loss which now it is losing 236 baht on domestic flight but compensated with the international flight."

Would it then not be more fair to increase the tax on domestic flights by say 200 baht, and not increase the tax on international flights?

Of course not, because the international flights are mostly foreigners, while the domestic flights are mostly Thais, and we would not want a situation where Thais actually pay for themselves!

But I thought there were millions of flights and trillions of passengers?

TAT says so

I think it was 14million arrivals in the first 10 months of the year according to a TV posting yesterday so that a lot of Baht. For the math experts posting today I believe that would be Baht 1.4 billion in 10 months.

Taxed when you arrive..tax when you leave multi scams while you are here...why not tax the air we breath in Thailand,why not tax tourists for walking about....do me a favour...this country is going down the shit hole...just wait..thai baht will collapse VERY soon..trust me

As I posted before...simple solution.smile.png

Sample Round-Trip Itinerary: Peoria (PIA) - Raleigh/Durham (RDU) via Chicago O'Hare (ORD)

Base Airline Fare

$238.14

: Federal Ticket (Excise) Tax (7.5%)

: Passenger Facility Charge (PIA)

: Federal Flight Segment Tax (PIA-ORD)

: Federal Security Surcharge (PIA-ORD)

: Passenger Facility Charge (ORD)

: Federal Flight Segment Tax (ORD-RDU)

: Federal Security Surcharge (ORD-RDU)

: Passenger Facility Charge (RDU)

: Federal Flight Segment Tax (RDU-ORD)

: Federal Security Surcharge (RDU-ORD)

: Passenger Facility Charge (ORD)

: Federal Flight Segment Tax (ORD-PIA)

: Federal Security Surcharge (ORD-PIA)

Total Taxes

Total Ticket (Fare + Taxes)

$300.00

Taxes as % of Fare

26.0%

Taxes as % of Ticket

20.6%

Source: http://www.airlines.org/Pages/Government-Imposed-Taxes-on-Air-Transportation.aspx

I won't be griping about another 100 baht.

• Like 1

I wouldn't characterize this as hysteria but suggest that it reflects a level of frustration with AOT and the quality of the services it provides. BKK is about as user-friendly as Triplolis or Riyadh and has been a pretty miserable place since the day it opened. Ridiculous design, hopeless overcrowding, Olympic- length walks, laughable ( possibly dangerous) duty-free, strong likelihood of a bus from plane to terminal, immigration officials with a look as if they have been chewing on a sh!t sandwich, potentially risky taxi arrangements ( a number of scams, attacks, murders), woeful luggage speed, poor quality F&B. Thailand relies on tourism for more than 10% of its GDP. AOT needs to do much better to make the airport experience as good as it can be. Given that they failed miserably with the funds they spend now ( as opposed to the funds they receive), would we see some improvement with the increase?

A whole 100 Baht and it's mass hysteria, you do have to laugh at some people

• Like 1

I wouldn't characterize this as hysteria but suggest that it reflects a level of frustration with AOT and the quality of the services it provides. BKK is about as user-friendly as Triplolis or Riyadh and has been a pretty miserable place since the day it opened. Ridiculous design, hopeless overcrowding, Olympic- length walks, laughable ( possibly dangerous) duty-free, strong likelihood of a bus from plane to terminal, immigration officials with a look as if they have been chewing on a sh!t sandwich, potentially risky taxi arrangements ( a number of scams, attacks, murders), woeful luggage speed, poor quality F&B. Thailand relies on tourism for more than 10% of its GDP. AOT needs to do much better to make the airport experience as good as it can be. Given that they failed miserably with the funds they spend now ( as opposed to the funds they receive), would we see some improvement with the increase?

Who cares, you spend a maximum of 3 hours in there before departure and a hour arriving back

I've got no real interest in the points you raised above, I simply want to get on a plane, not bothered what happens before that in the Airport as long as I get on the plane, I don't expect 5 star service and facilities at a Airport

You might not care but many people do and a poor experience becomes more problematic when competitors, eg Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong offer vastly superior service...

Who cares, you spend a maximum of 3 hours in there before departure and a hour arriving back

I've got no real interest in the points you raised above, I simply want to get on a plane, not bothered what happens before that in the Airport as long as I get on the plane, I don't expect 5 star service and facilities at a Airport

You might not care but many people do and a poor experience becomes more problematic when competitors, eg Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong offer vastly superior service...

I have never had a bad experience at any of the Airports here or indeed any Airport I have traveled though

It seems some people expect the red carpet to be rolled out upon their arrival

Do you really think people would be put off from travelling somewhere because one of their friends told them they had to walk a bit far to the departure gate? People come here or anywhere for that matter for the Country, not to inspect every negative aspect of the Airport, most people couldn't give a toss what the Airport is like

pay when you come and leave rolleyes.gif just greed and more greed whistling.gifcoffee1.gif

I am sure that you know that you pay money at EVERY airport where you leave or land? Just that some airports do collect it from the airlines (security fees), other charge extra through Visa or other fees...

"He said that AOT would seek to increase departure tax on domestic flight passenger from 100 baht to 200 baht, and international flight passenger from 700 baht to 800 baht.

He said that the increase would help to cut loss which now it is losing 236 baht on domestic flight but compensated with the international flight."

Would it then not be more fair to increase the tax on domestic flights by say 200 baht, and not increase the tax on international flights?

Of course not, because the international flights are mostly foreigners, while the domestic flights are mostly Thais, and we would not want a situation where Thais actually pay for themselves!

Many tourist fly on domestic flights

That is 3.200 bht for a familys of 4 person's. !!??

No, it's 400 baht. The departure tax has been in place for years, absorbed into ticket prices. I'm surprised it hasn't happened earlier. smile.png

Read the article Garry it is now 700 baht to be increased to 800 baht. I have been coming regularly since 1998 and it was 500 then because I had to pay out of pocket

And 4 000 THB for a family of 5! Wow! Who woulda thunk it?? Is today "Do basic maths on ThaiVisa day" - must've missed the memo

Being nice is lost to those who have clouded its significance when communicating.

OK 100 Baht more, no problem,
but please then, let me not wait up to 45 minutes for my luggage.on domestic flights, as always!
They mostly talk about the money/prices they need, but unfortunately very rarely about the quality of the service.

Edited by tomacht8

No, it's 400 baht. The departure tax has been in place for years, absorbed into ticket prices. I'm surprised it hasn't happened earlier. Posted Image

Read the article Garry it is now 700 baht to be increased to 800 baht. I have been coming regularly since 1998 and it was 500 then because I had to pay out of pocket

Perhaps I should been more simple in my response. 400 baht extra for a family of four, of the already in place departure tax.

If it was 500 back in 1998, and it'll going to 800 in 2014, a little math says that's a 60% increase in 16 years.

A little more complicated math says that's 3% per year average tax increase**

Hardly the sky falling since I'm pretty sure the price of just about everything else has gone up as fast or faster.

In fact, the tax has probably actually fallen as a percentage of the total cost of an adventure here in Paradise.

**Unless I got gypped on that HP48 emulator for my Android. But it was free, so I can't gripe........or can I, according to TV standard posting practices?

Edited by impulse

Pay when you arrive, scammed to death while your here and pay when you exit.

Welcome to the Land of Smiles!!

(please come back next year)

C'est la vie.

Someone gets maternity fees when you arrive, someone gets funeral fees when you depart, and someone's always got their hands in your back pocket in between.

It's still fun.

Good thing about AOT taxes and Thai tourist scams? 100% avoidable.

Edited by impulse

It's starting to really look like Thailand dose not want people to come here. And if you do they just what to bend you over and stick it to you for coming here… Crazy.

Agreed, this whole 100 Baht rise will totally destroy the tourist industry, I predict not one single foreigner will come here once this 100 Baht rise is introduced coffee1.gif