Thai police arrest Filipino 'typhoon relief money' scammers

webfact

Most, if not all, of the major western nations , give millions of dollars every year in aid to 3rd World and Developing countries; when a disaster, like the typhoon in Philippines, strikes, the aid from the developed countries comes pouring in. I know it bugs all our consciences when we see these horrendous scenes on the television, BUT giving money to collectors on the streets, even the reportedly honest ones, results in SFA getting to those who need it.

As other posters have said, if your conscience does bother you, give your 20 or 100 baht directly to the lepers, the blind, the amputees and the severely disabled you meet on the streets - at least you know you're putting something into their bellies and maybe making their life a wee bit better - even if just for a day

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So these 2 bullshit women enriched themselves in their way of living (scamming) while there are other honest Filipinos here in Thailand drifting sweats in order to earn.

hope that you will spend the rest of your lives in jail you bullshit scammers!

• Like 1

Just last Saturday, I also learned that there is a Filipino in a van use to go to Aranyapratet (Cambodia) to have foreigners passport stamped, scamming fellow Filipinos inside the van. Convincing her fellow Filipinos to donate to (I cannot remember to whom).

These vans are stationed in Tesco Lotus in Onnuch. The woman, according to the one narrated the story, went all along to Aranyapratet. she did not have her passport stamped but to be able to convince all other Filipinos to donate. What irritated her fellow Filipinos is that she was forcing them to donate and if not, God will send them to hell.

A few days ago there was a solicitation of sorts from a fellow TV member, urging us to donate directly to the Philippines Red Cross for typhoon relief, through their website. I did so, as did several others, via Paypal/credit card. I'm pretty sure our donations got to the right place, and did some good. I'm glad these street singers got busted.

Every once in a while I feel moved in my heart to give some small amount to people I run into in the street. If my intention is good, whatever happens afterward is on the karma of the receiver. Even if it's a young woman with a baby that's not even her's (a prop!) and she's part of a group that gets driven to the location and gets taken in at night, this life is no gravy train. I'm pretty sure these people are not down at the karaoke bar at night, all dolled up. More likely, they are confined in some locked down s---thole, by some very bad people.

How to be a good Catholic in 4-steps.

Hey, are you trying to say that the two women are catholic? In Philippines there are so many types of Christian:

-- Catholic

-- Seventh Day Adventist

-- Born Again

-- Pentecostal

-- Iglesia ni Cristo

-- Protestant

-- Baptist

-- Jehova's witness

-- Mormon

-- Lutherans

In this case we don't know which one they belong..

sad.pngsad.pngsad.png

This has been going on for at least 4 years in Bangkok now that I can remember. I get hit up for some money by Filipinos about every two months around Sukhumvit area. I was outside RCA Petchburi one night last year and could even have been the same two as they were playing guitar. Perhaps the police should also focus on the locals scamming money from tourists along Sukhumvit in Bangkok. I can easily see how good hearted people are fleeced of their money.

Yes, more than 4 years now... I was working for a Thai Foundation and knew the rules for charity collecting on the streets... its not easy, I was regularly approached around Sukhumvit area by Filipina girls with similar propaganda which I always confiscated and asked for their work permits. I also contacted the alleged foundations in The Philippines and of course they were not collecting in Thailand. This is a Big ongoing scam and there is a Mr Big behind it. Well done to the Thai police for eventually bringing this scam to light. Send the bitches to jail for a very long time..

As far as I am concerned the whole thing is a scam. The worst may be the UN and Red Cross. Huge overheads.

I do have charities that I give to but I know them personally. You are far better to give the money to the blind

musician wandering through the beer bars with a guide playing music or the cripple in the street. My mother

gives 2-5 dollars to the rummies in front of the liquor stores in Canada. 100% of the money goes to there drinking

problem but she says let them have there little bit of happiness. A C 130 carrying tonnes of relief supplies was

waved of at the airport in Tacloban and told to land in Cebu (yesterday) in favour of a small 8 person Beach King carrying NGO charity big wigs. They need there photo ops to get there coffers filled. For the moment the only

people that can help are big governments with big planes. Next will come the rebuilding and the best thing that

can happen is cash in the hands of those affected. They can spend the money most effectively and efficiently.

So if you know someone with family in the affected area by all means make a donation. It will be greatly

appreciated and well spent. Otherwise save you money and pick something local you can give to.

Edited by Ulic

Goddam! I gave 500Bt to someone looking looking very much like the girl on the left about a week ago in Pattaya. the leaflets on the table look exactly like the one she showed me. There was a list of people who had also given 1,000Bt, 1,500Bt and more, which she told me to sign. This will make me think twice about giving to any charity that approaches me in future. Other charities will suffer because of this.

Never give money to any Filipinos in Thailand, under any circumstances whatsoever (and learn to recognize the sound of the language and their accent when they speak English...they'll often say they're from somewhere else because they're aware of their rightfully deserved regional reputation as con artists and scammers).

Nothing against the Filipino people, but there are only two kinds who make it to Thailand: musicians (they're at least one in just about every bar band in Thailand) or scam artists. And musicians don't ask for money on the street.

Wouldn't it be nice to think that this was an isolated case. The truth is that they were probably reported by other scammers whose turf they were operating on.

i lived in Hong Kong for 20 years and went to the Phillipines very often because it was the nearest destination and liitle travel time. In fact the bus trip to Kai Tak was longer than the flight.

I went there shortly after an earthquake an international aid had been re-packaged as a ' gift ' to the Filipino people from President Ferdinand Marcos and First Lady Imelda.

Later, after Mt. Pinatubo was erupting a couple of youg cops I knew from Wetern Police District told me they had arrested street traders selling aid still in the boxes showing whixh country had donated. It was stolen at the airport cargo handling and sold on.

Rober Burns said it all " man's infumanity to man ".

The big question here is 'who are the real scammers'. Is it these two Filipino ladies or the big mafia organization who are registered and look so squeeky clean. Upon closer scrutiny when you check out the big charity organizations it often turns out that only a small percentage of donation money reaches the needy. Most of the donation money actually goes towards administration fees and paying big salaries of charity executives leaving the pot very small indeed. I have seen this with certain charities back in Ireland. I wouldn't be too fast to accuse these two ladies as there is a possibility that more of the money they collected has reached those in need back home.

I would rather donate my money to those poor massage girls that have to work on my rather large frame

Filipino duo caught falsely soliciting donations for typhoon
The Nation

30220384-01_big.gif
Minerva Makapili Bedana and Juanna Espelita Joyos were caught soliciting donations for typhoon Haiyan victims at a petrol station in Udon Thani.

BANGKOK: -- Two Filipino women have been arrested for allegedly falsely soliciting donations for victims of Typhoon Haiyan by posing as volunteers for a charity.

The two women, presenting themselves as volunteers with JC Society, were arrested on Thursday while busking for money at a petrol station in Udon Thani. The suspects admitted to earning about Bt5,000 per day from donations, police said.

Minerva Makapili Bedana, 32, and Juanna Espelita Joyos, 23, also face the charge of working illegally.

Police say they found the women with five fake JC Society stickers, a list of donors and Bt2,070 in cash. They will face further charges depending on complaints lodged by people who were duped, police said.

The women have admitted to the crime, saying they spent some of the money on themselves and sent some back home. The suspects, who are under police custody, entered Thailand on a tourist visa and have not overstayed.

Immigration police are also on the hunt for other foreign nationals running similar scams as part of a crackdown on swindlers.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-11-23

Good that they have been caught, disgusting individuals as are all scammers.

They should have know though that this is a restricted occupation for Thais.

My farang ex & I sent 58K to Thailand after Tsunami. I later learned not all of it helped the victims.

LomSak27 said:

Scamming is a restricted occupation and foreigners aren't allowed

That is not true, scammers from other countries that are now here in Thailand is rampant.

I believe that they represent all skin colors like black, white, brown , small eyes, etc.

They do scam in many different ways like in email, call, or in person (direct selling like some businesses do) , representatives, or just staffs employed to scam, etc

mikebell said:

Posted A minute ago

mrtoad, on 22 Nov 2013 - 15:45, said:snapback.png

Good that they have been caught, disgusting individuals as are all scammers.

They should have know though that this is a restricted occupation for Thais.

My farang ex & I sent 58K to Thailand after Tsunami. I later learned not all of it helped the victims.

That is true especially when you pass your donations thru the government or individuals, they will pocket your donations. It would be better if you distributed it by yourself and feel the happiness of helping.

Wouldn't it be nice to think that this was an isolated case. The truth is that they were probably reported by other scammers whose turf they were operating on.

The truth? Where did you get that nonsense from?

I wonder if they actually check the charity status of JC society foundation. Because other than scam alerts there is NOTHING on the net.

There is a JC foundation in the US.

Ditto. Did a quick check and nothing, only a comment on another board from about 6 months ago warningu about the JC Society Foundation scam. So if this outfit does not exist, then how did the police know to contact them? WHO did they contact? All very fishy.

If you read the report you'll see that the foundation contacted the police. And don't forget that this originally would have been a Thai report translated into English, maybe the correct name has been misinterpreted as frequently happens.

Ajaan said:

• av-124010.jpg?_r=0
  • Members
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 270 posts

Posted Today, 04:28

15Peter20, on 22 Nov 2013 - 15:04, said:snapback.png

Goddam! I gave 500Bt to someone looking looking very much like the girl on the left about a week ago in Pattaya. the leaflets on the table look exactly like the one she showed me. There was a list of people who had also given 1,000Bt, 1,500Bt and more, which she told me to sign. This will make me think twice about giving to any charity that approaches me in future. Other charities will suffer because of this.

Never give money to any Filipinos in Thailand, under any circumstances whatsoever (and learn to recognize the sound of the language and their accent when they speak English...they'll often say they're from somewhere else because they're aware of their rightfully deserved regional reputation as con artists and scammers).

Nothing against the Filipino people, but there are only two kinds who make it to Thailand: musicians (they're at least one in just about every bar band in Thailand) or scam artists. And musicians don't ask for money on the street.

Ajaan, true Filipinos here in Thailand do not ask money. Their work are not only musicians but also Engineers, teachers, Human Resources Manager, etc. Honest Filipinos condemn that 2 scammers.

• Like 2

Worgeordie said:

....hope they do hard time and are made to suffer

just like their compatriots in the Philippines are doing right now.

regards Worgeordie

Worgeordie , you are wrong.

You are telling that these 2 scam women should suffer. I too want that for them. I even want them to spend all their lives in jail.

but you included the victims of typhoon in the Philippines. We may think of them bad people (like us. Are you a good guy?) that's why they got their sufferings now but you should not wish them to suffer. It is like you said that good for them. They are bad. I wonder if you are a good man or woman.

Edited by DGIE

Scamming is a restricted occupation and foreigners aren't allowed.

Good they were caught. Since they are foreign I expect they'll have the book thrown at them too.

Maybe one day Thai police will find some time to arrest the tsunami relief money scammers.

So, the obvious question is: "Where does all this captured money go?"

one would assume the money will be given to a charity that is helping in the Philippines.

or, will the police "keep" the money ?

also: during the tsunami, I had a friend that was selling tshirts on ebay. he dontated about 150 tshirts to people that needed clothes (at an emergency rescue center). a few days later he decided to go and visit, but he saw LOTS of the thai 'helpers' wearing his tshirts. and he couldnt find one tsunami victim in the rescue center wearing his tshirts.

nothing really surprises me.

and MOST IMPORTANTLY... this is not thailand only. almost EVERY COUNTRY is guilty of the same greed and corruption.

But, in thaiand they are dumb enough to do it in-front of plain eyes so everyone can see it!!

other countries cover it up better!