where to live - bangkok or phuket and why

ArranP

I been living on Phuket and in Bangkok app 3 years each place and I now live in Pattaya for app 6 years.

Of the 3 I prefer Pattaya and I am a family man having a kid in kindergarten and since we are here for the long haul I think international schools are a waste of money and have found a real good private Thai school.

Pattaya always have something going on, this weekend we have yacht show and longboat race and next weekend there will be fireworks competition.

2 hours to BKK by bus so we try go there once a year.

I don't miss BKK at all, nor Phuket.

My 2 cents

Considering moving from one tourist infested, sewer, to the another....mmmmm, tough call !

Why not throw Pattaya in the mix and you have a full set.

Bangkok is only a tourist infested sewer if you live in a tourist area. You couldn't pay me to live in the lower Sukhumvit area having to put up with touts, aggressive taxi and tuk tuk drivers, ladyboys and prostitutes linking the street, african drug dealers selling coke etc. No thanks.

Where I live (which is in the centre of Bangkok close to a couple major BTS stations) there's none of that. And it's not even like it's a 100% residential Thai area the area is quite popular with expats and farangs here for work.

You can't compare BKK to Pataya and Phuket. One is an international capital city and the other 2 are largely tourist destinations.

• Like 1

For me there would be no choice at all. I consider Bangkok to be a great city. It is full of pleasant people, who are incredibly well adjusted, and love their lives. I consider them to be the most positive, and delightful big city people, of any huge city I have EVER been to. And I have traveled all over the world. That, to me makes a city what it is, and I think these people make Bangkok a delightful place to spend time. Of course, that is just my point of view, and I do not live there. But, I have been there on perhaps 50 different occasions for a few days to a week at a time, and have loved every visit. The culture is limited, but there is a lot to do, and one has access to just about anything they desire. Phuket on the other hand has become overrun by Russian tourists. They are my least favorite tourist group in the world as most are surly at best, rude, and unfriendly. Not a group I choose to be around, if possible. And the island is very congested. Of course, the sea is beautiful, and so is the island. But, it is overpriced in my opinion, and not somewhere I would want to live.

HELLS BELLS... after all that time in Phuket you still havnt learnt about nicer places to settle into...My personal recommendation is either AoNang-Krabi or Hua Hin..AONANG is the next most popular up-and-coming tourist destination..You should come and see all the new construction and government road works etc... that is happening here right now..and nobody ever drowns when they go swimming at a beach here....

You must have missed the OP saying <Unfortunately those are the only 3 places in thailand which have international schools with IB programmes.>

It's a long commute from Ao Nang.

Considering moving from one tourist infested, sewer, to the another....mmmmm, tough call !

Why not throw Pattaya in the mix and you have a full set.

All about personal choice, what kind of life you lead, what floats your boat and what you need, give more info you can get specific comment on the merits, or not of either.

You're a jolly one aren't you.

The Prem International school in Mae Rim Chiang Mai has IB programme and the added advantage of not being in the city. Cost of living in this area way below Phuket and Bangkok.

No it's not and no it isn't! The school is closed, the traffic now to the suburbs is horrendous and the cost of living has soared way higher than Bangkok or Phuket, really, please, Bangkok or Phuket are both a much better idea!

• Like 1

I have no first hand knowledge of any of this but if the Prem Tinsulanonda International School outside Chiang Mai is closed -- at least according to their website -- nobody has gotten 'round to telling them:

http://ptis.threegeneration.org/

You don't understand satire do you Crab, I can tell! Most of our transatlantic cousins don't, sadly.

I have no first hand knowledge of any of this but if the Prem Tinsulanonda International School outside Chiang Mai is closed -- at least according to their website -- nobody has gotten 'round to telling them:

You don't understand satire do you Crab, I can tell! Most of our transatlantic cousins don't, sadly.

You're right. However when I once posted satire a la Wilford Brimley you put in a report notice within seconds.

Edited by JLCrab

You're right. However when I once posted satire a la Wilford Brimley you put in a report notice within seconds.

Huh! blink.png

I just googled the name and I'm still none the wiser and the only common linkage I can see might be diabetes perhaps? Perhaps you think that I am the only diabetic who might have read your earlier post although I can tell you hand on heart that I haven't got a clue what you're talking about, again!.

Live anywhere you want and just play this and most of the time you won't know the difference. Why do 5-star hotels in Phuket and Samui advertise about their luxurious swimming pools?

625.35MB but am downloading it anyway.

i dont see your ten hours above, too much of a good thing.

Edited by feest monty

HELLS BELLS... after all that time in Phuket you still havnt learnt about nicer places to settle into...My personal recommendation is either AoNang-Krabi or Hua Hin..AONANG is the next most popular up-and-coming tourist destination..You should come and see all the new construction and government road works etc... that is happening here right now..and nobody ever drowns when they go swimming at a beach here....

Nice, just wait when the Russians get a sniff of them places, the peace is over, I guarantee you..

@OP: Bangkok is awesome, away from Suckcumvitt or other Farang-ghetto, Huamark, Suanluang is OK.

I left Phuket when the russian/muslim invasion began, what a hellhole it´s turned into over the years,

That's going back a while.