Water Filter Recommendation

212traders

Home Pro have a good range of in-line filters. some with carbon inserts, but don't know if this would take it to drinking grade.

I'm about to get one as the water here comes with little bits of carbon in it, and it blocks the taps.

We moved to a new house in Sanpiisua and installed the following. A particulate filter for the washing machine and for water into the kitchen for dish washing. Also from the kitchen supply a 5 stage unit including a UV light for drinking water and the ice maker. All purchased at Homepro. There are many model's of simple particulate filters with replaceable filter cartridges. Our last a max of 6 weeks. The drinking water unit is a Fujika and the filters are changed annually. The UV light is 2 years old. Total installation cost 20K. Expensive but we dont need to find space for crates of bottled water.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

We are in saraphi/hang dong district but our water is not city water and we pay 7bt a cube.

For drinking water at 15bt for the 20litre bottles of drinking water I decided it wasn't worth paying for a filters....just yet.

We have one in the business, around 1500bt for the triple filters and its been great for 3yr, but you can see the dirt that the first filter catches so have change them quite often at 300bt a time.

I also think they are very unsightly wherever you put them!

Sent via tin can and string after pigeon shot

We moved to a new house in Sanpiisua and installed the following. A particulate filter for the washing machine and for water into the kitchen for dish washing. Also from the kitchen supply a 5 stage unit including a UV light for drinking water and the ice maker. All purchased at Homepro. There are many model's of simple particulate filters with replaceable filter cartridges. Our last a max of 6 weeks. The drinking water unit is a Fujika and the filters are changed annually. The UV light is 2 years old. Total installation cost 20K. Expensive but we dont need to find space for crates of bottled water.

Wow I take the water as it comes and I'm fit as a butcher's dog.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

• Like 2

I used to drink the tap water in our previous house in the Wat Jet Yod area but in Sanpiisua we have frequent breaks in supply for up to 30 hours at a stretch, and we often have brown water. This is due to upgrades to the mains infrastructure, building and connecting premises like the new Tesco Lotus and properties on the adjacent 5 new moo baans on the inner ring road. I do not drink out of the toilet so that is not filtered but I do prefer not to consume grit and mud whenever there is yet another supply disruption. So allow me to make the choice.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I used to drink the tap water in our previous house in the Wat Jet Yod area but in Sanpiisua we have frequent breaks in supply for up to 30 hours at a stretch, and we often have brown water. This is due to upgrades to the mains infrastructure, building and connecting premises like the new Tesco Lotus and properties on the adjacent 5 new moo baans on the inner ring road. I do not drink out of the toilet so that is not filtered but I do prefer not to consume grit and mud whenever there is yet another supply disruption. So allow me to make the choice.

Strictly you got muddy water.......brown water is the term for run off from septic systems.

Happily muddy water can usually be cleaned with a simple settlement system to which you might add a sand filter.

You won't need to buy replacements from Homepro again.

ps

What do folks here think about people losing bacterial resistance by following the modern (commercially lucrative) trend and trying be scrupulously germ-free?

• Like 2

Strictly you got muddy water.......brown water is the term for run off from septic systems.

Happily muddy water can usually be cleaned with a simple settlement system to which you might add a sand filter.

You won't need to buy replacements from Homepro again.

ps

What do folks here think about people losing bacterial resistance by following the modern (commercially lucrative) trend and trying be scrupulously germ-free?

I know what you are saying about germ-free fads - I suspect people who go in for that have lower resistance to 'normal' bacteria.

But maybe people who layout for filter systems instead of having a 50baht crate, also buy probiotic yoghurt to get 'good' bacteria instead.

I find it all a bit anal so will probably die one day, but each to their own. And maybe if you have young kids in the house I would be more careful.

But then if I was more careful, I wouldnt have young kids in the house.

Apparently that government line about '90% of accidents are caused by people' was wrong. Turns out it should have been '90% of people are caused by accidents'

But I guess you were looking for a more intellectual response - wrong guy, sorry. 'sigh!'

Stupid question but I had an above ground pool in my US house. Dismantled it before coming to CM. Can I just ship my filter (along with power converter)? My water here in Chang Puak has serious sediment. Even with one of those big fugly tanks in my front yard that supposedly allows for that stuff to settle.

And while I'm at it my pump is beyond noisy. Clanging, clompy beast that wakes the dead when you flush in the middle of the night. Would my pool pump work better?

Enquiring minds vs inquiring minds.

Stupid question but I had an above ground pool in my US house.  Dismantled it before coming to CM.  Can I just ship my filter (along with power converter)?  My water here in Chang Puak has serious sediment.  Even with one of those big fugly tanks in my front yard that supposedly allows for that stuff to settle. 

And while I'm at it my pump is beyond noisy.  Clanging, clompy beast that wakes the dead when you flush in the middle of the night.  Would my pool pump work better? 

Hi Postallady

Both your problems can be solved.

Rather than looking at pumped filter systems why not just get the sedimentation working properly.

Hint: you may need more than one tanks...three is not atypical.(BTW do you have a big masonry tank or concrete rings or metal or plastic?)

As for the pumped supply you may consider a gravity tank which needs a less powerful feed, or else get a decent pump properly housed.

I'd go the rank route if it was my own house as I find the wait.....I know it's not that long.....for it to kick in somewhat annoying.

I want to get under instant gushing water in to the sound of Frank Zappa not an engine.

• Like 1

A standard, three stage system is fine, op (2-3k)... don't really need UVs and reverse osmosis, (esp' latter which wastes a lot and needs juice to run). As someone else said, you don't really want to be drinking water that is totally devoid of nutrients.

Wow I take the water as it comes and I'm fit as a butcher's dog.

Speaking of a "Butcher's Dog" I named a Golden Retriever after a local Butcher, "Clayton's" in South Perth (Western Australia) I got free dog's meat for a while. I think the same butcher had a sign in his shop saying, "We Don't have Great Meat.... we SELL it."

Having imparted that riveting info upon you....Good Night!

When I couldn't find a good water company that would deliver to my door I purchased an under-sink unit at HomePro for about 6,000 baht. Four canisters (carbon for taste, resin for dissolved metals, two sediment filters,) plus UV. The water in our building is fairly free of sediment, and being just two of us using the filter for drinking and cooking, the disposable filters last us 5-6 months rather than the 3 months suggested. I did the installation myself, which took less than 30 minutes with a drill, adj.wrench, and a screwdriver. (I'm not a plumber. It was just that easy.) The water tastes fresh, the tea tastes right, and there are no big ugly water jugs taking up space in the kitchen.

I have water filter from Germany ,the water is heated runs through a condenser and a carbon filter .In the end all you get is water with nothing no nutrients nothing but I have a good diet which takes care of any nutrients I may need.

Stupid question but I had an above ground pool in my US house.  Dismantled it before coming to CM.  Can I just ship my filter (along with power converter)?  My water here in Chang Puak has serious sediment.  Even with one of those big fugly tanks in my front yard that supposedly allows for that stuff to settle. 

And while I'm at it my pump is beyond noisy.  Clanging, clompy beast that wakes the dead when you flush in the middle of the night.  Would my pool pump work better? 

A sediment system is often two or three tanks in line (think Jackr is saying this too)

If you own your own house and want more an just enough to drink this may be your best option.

As fir the noisy pump again if you own a high tank ya be an option. (which can be filled with a lower capacity, quiet, pump)

This gives you INSTANT fast water instead of that annoying wait, and you can listen to Frank Zappa in the shower instead of the pump.

How many liters were rated for those disposable filters? How much are the disposable filters? I'm trying to see is it cheaper to buy water from the machine (0.5 baht/liter) or from the installed water filtering system.

I don't believe mine stated number of liters, rather, it listed times for each canister, which I assume are based upon average family size use. Two of them were rated at 3 months, and one for 6 months and the last for 1 year. The 3-month replacements cost 300 baht at HomePro but can be found cheaper in other shops. The 6-month and 12-month filters were user-cleanable. The UV lamp should last several years, if turned off between uses. We only turn our system on once a day to refill fridge, kitchen, and bathroom water bottles. With just the two of us, and doing very little cooking at home, we use less than 3-4 liters a day. During a contact with the company about something other, they told us to only turn the UV lamp on when we need to use the filter so I installed a switch right at the front of the device.

Edited by FolkGuitar

If you are using water filters with UV lamps,its VERY important that

you change the bulb and clean the inner sleeve at regular intervals,

6 months to 1 year depending on how much you use it,as the lamps

degrade over time,and gunk can build up on them making them

useless at killing the bacteria.

I know of some Moo Banhs that have the water pipes just lying in

the street gutters,where runoff from the septic tanks also drains

into them,thats why I just buy bottled water,its not expensive,at

56 bht per 24x500 ml glass bottles,I have had the same supply

for last 20+years,never had any problem through drinking the

water,they deliver twice per week.

Going the city water way, you have to buy expensive filter

systems preferably with Reverse Osmosis and UV lamps

AND remember to clean and maintain them,add cost new

filer medium,R/O ,UV lamps,on regular basis,if you don't

forget !.

Contaminated water must be the bigger killer of humans,

and remember this is a Sub tropical country,where lots

of these water bourne diseases exist.

regards Worgeordie

• 3 months later...

Tap water filter system is the old but effective water filter technique as you are shifiting form one place to another where you will get water from city supply most of the time it is good for household work but for drinking purpose it has to be filter water so you need to buy such a filter who can remove particles,chorine and salt so that at end you get fully filtered water.I will suggest to check out some useful technique water filtration system where you will get solution guaranteed!!