Bikers encouraged to wear helmets: Thailand

webfact

Pay each motor cyclist 500 bht to wear a helmet, he will wear it.

Pay for sex usually they will perform.

Pay them to vote for you , they will.

Pay for a uni scholarship, you got one.

Pay to join the police force, your in.

Pay for a government position.

Pay a policeman tea money your free.

Pay out of jail-term, your free.

Does this mean that money is all Thai think about, GREED (in general may I say) not all -this is to ward off the Thai OTT lovers.

• Like 1

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does this mean that money is all Thai think about, GREED (in general may I say) not all -this is to ward off the Thai OTT lovers.

So what you`re saying is; every Thai is basically a prostitute and will sell their bodies for money?

Every Thai has the option of buying themselves into the police force?

Every Thai has the option of buying themselves into a major Government position. Can this be fact, considering that even Mr Taksin with all his wealth and clout has not been able to buy himself a clean slate and back into being a major political figure in Thailand.

Every Thai is able to buy themselves out of prison whatever their crimes as an unwritten procedure?

Are you really sure about these allegations?

Give most people a payment for being law abiding on the roads, they will do it.

Give anyone a free University scholarship they will take advantage of the offer, I know I would.

Many people worldwide would vote for certain political candidates, given some financial incentives.

Just hitting you with a few realities and suggesting that your bigoted views regarding the Thais is a load of old baloney from someone of extremely low intellect.

Beattlejucie said "So what you`re saying is; every Thai is basically a prostitute and will sell their bodies for money?"

Nationality and gender has nothing to do with it, virtually anybody will do anything if the price is right.

Not me, I will not sing Rap or Punk Rock............noooooooooooooo way............w00t.gif

So what you`re saying is; every Thai is basically a prostitute and will sell their bodies for money?

Every Thai has the option of buying themselves into a major Government position. Can this be fact, considering that even Mr Taksin with all his wealth and clout has not been able to buy himself a clean slate and back into being a major political figure in Thailand.

Every Thai is able to buy themselves out of prison whatever their crimes as an unwritten procedure?

Give anyone a free University scholarship they will take advantage of the offer, I know I would.

Many people worldwide would vote for certain political candidates, given some financial incentives.

Just hitting you with a few realities and suggesting that your bigoted views regarding the Thais is a load of old baloney from someone of extremely low intellect.

Did you read the last sentence ???? Being not able to read the last sentence makes me believe your intellect is not 100%

You use the word EVERY I did not far from it so lets not tell porky pies eh!!!

Are you for real-these are not allegations, just fact regarding the every day happenings

If you do not believe the things I stated you do not get around much, because these things are normal.

My point is MAYBE if the m/cyclists were paid to wear a helmet, it MAY WORK, as nothing else is, It is crazy as it would never happen in reality.

The other things work for many Thais.

Your full of B S##t I never suggested all Thais were prostitutes are you off your rocker ???

Edited by ginjag
  • Like 1

Did you read the last sentence ???? Being not able to read the last sentence makes me believe your intellect is not 100%

Are you for real-these are not allegations, just fact regarding the every day happenings

If you do not believe the things I stated you do not get around much, because these things are normal.

My point is MAYBE if the m/cyclists were paid to wear a helmet, it MAY WORK, as nothing else is, It is crazy as it would never happen in reality.

Your full of B S##t I never suggested all Thais were prostitutes are you off your rocker ???

“Pay for sex usually they will perform ” Is what you quoted. Who are they? And to me this sounds like the general term, or is there something I`m not reading between the lines?

And no I don`t believe the things you have quoted or as them being the norm in Thailand, these are the facts according to you, but not to me, so as you say; I must be off my rocker.

I agree that no Government in any country of the world would ever pay it`s citizens not to commit crimes or not to break the laws, that would be ludicrous for obvious reasons, this is why each country has law enforcements, which goes back to my earlier post.

Edited by Beetlejuice

“Pay for sex usually they will perform ” Is what you quoted. Who are they? And to me this sounds like the general term, or is there something I`m not reading between the lines?

And no I don`t believe the things you have quoted or as them being the norm in Thailand, these are the facts according to you, but not to me, so as you say; I must be off my rocker.

I agree that no Government in any country of the world would ever pay it`s citizens not to commit crimes or not to break the laws, that would be ludicrous for obvious reasons, this is why each country has law enforcements, which goes back to my earlier post.

Who are they ??? you asked... well in any rural and urban ares are you will always find willing partners for money. So you do not agree with that ???

The other items listed are the NORM in society here. If you do not believe ask any Thai how they can get promoted ????

You being in denial on all points makes you one of the few. You will gwt some followers on TVF the same as you But calling a spade a spade this is all true.

It is not Thai bashing it is the way of life.

You tell me which of my points I listed does not happen in real life here--NORMAL.

Yes according to my life here 32 years-teaching-helping local government in projects, living in cities, and in farm village areas. I am not saying these things are wrong on the contrary, I am not in my country where things are not like this as the norm.

• Like 2

Who are they ??? you asked... well in any rural and urban ares are you will always find willing partners for money. So you do not agree with that ???

The other items listed are the NORM in society here. If you do not believe ask any Thai how they can get promoted ????

You being in denial on all points makes you one of the few. You will gwt some followers on TVF the same as you But calling a spade a spade this is all true.

You tell me which of my points I listed does not happen in real life here--NORMAL.

Yes according to my life here 32 years-teaching-helping local government in projects, living in cities, and in farm village areas. I am not saying these things are wrong on the contrary, I am not in my country where things are not like this as the norm.

Yes, there will always be those from the underclasses of Thai society desperate enough to form relationships for financial benefits, this is not under dispute, but certainly these are only a small minority in Thailand. The majority of Thais living in rural and urban areas have pride and are honest hard working folk, who manage to survive without having to sell themselves for money.

it all depends on the types of company one associates with. This pertains in all countries and is definitely not the norm regarding the Thais as a whole.

I have also been here as any years as you claim to have been here, worked in public relations for a Spanish based company, legally representing my company and working with many large Thai companies and had many dealings with local Government officials. I have family in law enforcement and one son will soon qualify as a Thai lawyer, or perhaps they will fall under your corruption category too, saying they must have bought their way in? I`m seriously expecting that one or someone else to say it.

All I can say is that it seems you have mixed in different circles to me, it appears that you have seen the lower end of Thai society, the types that are most portrayed in the Western media as what you describe as the norm in Thailand and if you truly believe all that you have stated so far as being fact, than your general opinion of the Thais and of Thailand must be extremely low and perhaps you have been here too long?

Edited by Beetlejuice
  • Like 1

Helmets will just make it harder to talk on their mobiles, distracting them further from their 2 year old dangling on their thigh, and 3 kids under 6 on the back seat. Fair go…..you want to cause more accidents??! Helmets off…..talk and hear more easily.

• Like 2

Yes, there will always be those from the underclasses of Thai society desperate enough to form relationships for financial benefits, this is not under dispute, but certainly these are only a small minority in Thailand. The majority of Thais living in rural and urban areas have pride and are honest hard working folk, who manage to survive without having to sell themselves for money.

it all depends on the types of company one associates with. This pertains in all countries and is definitely not the norm regarding the Thais as a whole.

I have also been here as any years as you claim to have been here, worked in public relations for a Spanish based company, legally representing my company and working with many large Thai companies and had many dealings with local Government officials. I have family in law enforcement and one son will soon qualify as a Thai lawyer, or perhaps they will fall under your corruption category too, saying they must have bought their way in? I`m seriously expecting that one or someone else to say it.

All I can say is that it seems you have mixed in different circles to me, it appears that you have seen the lower end of Thai society, the types that are most portrayed in the Western media as what you describe as the norm in Thailand and if you truly believe all that you have stated so far as being fact, than your general opinion of the Thais and of Thailand must be extremely low and perhaps you have been here too long?

In the police force it is normal to buy your way in.

In local government to get promotion you pay the boss.

THIS IS NORMAL

Nothing to do with what classes one mixes with. You seem to assume I live a back pack low life 5555555.

I mix in all circles, no I have not been here too long, But I am not blind to the general goings on.

I don't knock for the sake of it, just the very corrupt society it is breeds as you SHOULD know, you get things I mentioned the norm, from Top government-to the Police.

There are some people that live the clean style, but are not the big majority you portray. I would love it that way but it is not.

• Like 1

How about each and every road block keeping stock of cheap Index helmets and selling them at 200% markup, at least that way both sides benefit, rather the BIB taking a bribe and sending the offending person down the road without a helmet after taking a bribe.

Edited by karlos
  • Like 1

I dont think this will change anything as the lack of wearing helmet is in the mentality. A better police control ( without bribes if possible) would be more effective. I dont remember in Vietnam seeing anyone ( at least in HCMC) without helmet....

It took the Vietnamese some years, but in 2007 they finally enacted a tougher law and now there is virtually 100% compliance throughout the country, an amazing feat which is rather unexpected for a country where motorists (including motorcycles) just drive anyway they want. However, in Thailand's case, they could really learn how to be tough and thus enforce the same set of standards as in Vietnam, including more enforcement and tougher fines without any possibility of taking bribes, certainly not ridiculously low ones like 100 Baht. In Vietnam, people are poorer than in Thailand yet the minimum fines (or bribes) for traffic offenses are usually no less than about 200,000 Dong (about 300 Baht or US$10).

LOS did raise the fine for no helmet, plus passengers must wear one,BUT, nobody cares, especially the guys who should enforce it. sad.png

Well there's the problem. While Thailand claims to want to learn from other countries, especially developed ones, in this case it might just want to learn from it's poorer neighbor, Vietnam, or somewhat richer one Malaysia, which has for years been successful at enforcing helmet usage.

I don't believe the police wants to enforce the rules.

I see very often see roadblocks, usually at the same place, people passing there are people going to work, probably always the same people.

Very few people put on a helmet, even they must get caught very often.

People have accepted to pay once or twice per week 50 or 100B in exchange for the right not to put on a helmet.

The police is perfectly happy with this, because it's a fixed extra income. People are also OK with it, because it's just a small amount to pay.

If people would get real fines and started use a helmet, the extra income of the police would disappear ... I am sure they (the police) don't want that.

Further on, people riding motorcycles are working class people, they are easy to get money from ... you wouldn't want to stop a guy in a mercedes.

Why not, a guy driving a Mercedes has tons of money and the police could extract an easy 1000 Baht from them. Working class people in Thailand by definition have no money.

This has been going on since my 30 years here. No one heeds the warnings and in fact according to many of the youngsters, wearing a motorbike helmet is considered uncool and unfashionable.

The only ways to encourage motorcyclists to wear helmets is for the police to take a zero tolerance stance and enforcing the laws, meaning those seen on the roads not wearing helmets are instantly pulled up, realistic fines of 2000 baht introduced and imposed to act as a deterrent and any police officers discovered reducing the fines on condition of pocketing the money to be instantly dismissed from the force.

Unless realistic measures are introduced in order to encourage motorcyclists to wear helmets, then all these soft warnings are a total waste of time and effort and just a load of warm air blowing in the wind.

Wow, even after 30 years still no progress. It will probably take about that long to build a proper expressway network throughout the country, something that was supposed to happen 10 years ago but obviously didn't even begin because the payoffs didn't suit those in power (i.e. Thaksin didn't get his kickbacks back in 2004 when I first read about these massive expressway projects to connect all corners of Thailand). Anyway, I digress.

In some countries like Vietnam, the police are intimidating and most locals fear them. Even though they are very corrupt, they won't take a lousy 50 Baht or 100 Baht bribe, but rather 200,000 Dong, 500,000 Dong etc. (the equivalent of about 300-750 Baht) and for speeding offenses of over 30km/h up to the equivalent of US$120. In Thailand, there is so little enforcement of any road rules I take it as an invitation to drive anyway you damn like. While I would never drive a motorcycle without a helmet on, I know that when I'm driving my car, the chance of getting pulled over for say, speeding is so infinitesimally small that I just drive whatever speed looks suitable for the road and traffic conditions. Besides, speed limits signs barely exist in Thailand so how is anyone supposed to know the speed limits? Lol

• Like 1

I see very often see roadblocks, usually at the same place, people passing there are people going to work, probably always the same people.

People have accepted to pay once or twice per week 50 or 100B in exchange for the right not to put on a helmet.

The police is perfectly happy with this, because it's a fixed extra income. People are also OK with it, because it's just a small amount to pay.

If people would get real fines and started use a helmet, the extra income of the police would disappear ... I am sure they (the police) don't want that.

Further on, people riding motorcycles are working class people, they are easy to get money from ... you wouldn't want to stop a guy in a mercedes.

Why not, a guy driving a Mercedes has tons of money and the police could extract an easy 1000 Baht from them. Working class people in Thailand by definition have no money.

The guy in the Mercedes will potentially have much more money than the Policeman, thus will be of a higher social status and cannot be reprimanded. It is dangerous for the Policeman to make a person higher up the social ladder to lose face.

Scooter riders are fair game as they are normally not very wealthy therefore will not have much social standing or connections so are ripe for exploitation.

The guy in the Mercedes will potentially have much more money than the Policeman, thus will be of a higher social status and cannot be reprimanded. It is dangerous for the Policeman to make a person higher up the social ladder to lose face.

Scooter riders are fair game as they are normally not very wealthy therefore will not have much social standing or connections so are ripe for exploitation.

I have been here a while and have heard this many times before, but thinking about it a little bit let's put it this way: a Mercedes driver thinks he/she is above the law and loses face just for being cited for speeding? Such people must have serious self-esteem issues. Like it's a big deal to be pulled over for a traffic infringement. Every time I've been pulled over for speeding in Thailand, I have been able to get away without paying anything but I don't have self-esteem issues, I just talk to the police nicely and joke about it a bit - works every time. However, if I'm wrong I acknowledge it and I certainly don't make a big deal out of it. In any case, there is no points system in Thailand like there is in Australia and other developed countries (even if some people say there is). Basically no matter how many times you get pulled over or whatever, you'll still be allowed to drive, there are no other repercussions (like jail for serious traffic offenses or confiscation of vehicle) and fines, if ever imposed are pretty paltry anyway. So an officer also doesn't try to reprimand someone like me, just like the Mercedes driver. Or maybe it's because I'm rich too and the officer knows that? Lol

Why doesn't the big shot tell his paid police servants to enforce the law that is already in place. rolleyes.gif

Enforcement is the issue here but he just want to have his say, like everybody else, does not matter if it makes sense or not.

Thought years ago, they were giving helmets away for a song? What happened to that? Just like the one child one tablet, all broken to pieces. cheesy.gif

In the police force it is normal to buy your way in.

In local government to get promotion you pay the boss.

THIS IS NORMAL

Nothing to do with what classes one mixes with. You seem to assume I live a back pack low life 5555555.

I mix in all circles, no I have not been here too long, But I am not blind to the general goings on.

I don't knock for the sake of it, just the very corrupt society it is breeds as you SHOULD know, you get things I mentioned the norm, from Top government-to the Police.

There are some people that live the clean style, but are not the big majority you portray. I would love it that way but it is not.

Fair enough, because at least we have now managed to squeeze out your actual opinions about the Thais and Thailand, rather than your; did you read the last sentence excuse for the toning down of your views.

So to place all this is perspective; according to you, it is the norm for Thais to have to buy their way into a Government position, the police force and local government departments, with hardly any exceptions and that very few actually qualify on their own strives to archive these positions or promotions and that many in the rural and urban areas are willing to sell themselves for money or as you said previous to that; pay for sex usually they will perform, when you did not differentiate between the rural and urban areas and any other Thais in Thailand.

You paint a pretty grim picture of the Thais as being mostly corrupt, prepared to sink to the lowest depths for money and generally a people of low esteem and low virtue according to your what you consider as the norm in Thailand.

It does concern me that there are Westerners with almost fascist points of views regarding the Thais, who share these opinions living in Thailand, a sort of enemy within to the Thais and it`s no wonder the Thai’s like to keep farangs under the thumb and believe in never letting them gain any footholds here, a policy that I have to totally agree with and would hate to see it change otherwise.

I have made my home and life here in Thailand and I love it, I would never stay in a country where I considered it as being the pits and it really amazes me why you and others who think on the same lines stay here? Taking advantage because it cheap perhaps and you can enjoy a better lifestyle but at the same time will continue to put the country down?

Edited by Beetlejuice

A quick question for Beetlejuice. Do Thai policeman buy their positions ? A simple yes or

no will be fine. Since you have family members in the police force, you should be fully

aware of what goes on.....

Back to topic. The answer to preventing all the smashed up Thais I pass after their accidents is easy.

The government should provide every single Thai who rides a bike with a free quality helmet,

not the salad bowls with straps most Thais wear. Then when a rider is caught without a helmet,

he should be fined a few thousand baht, and the bike seized and sold off which would help pay

for the helmets. Within one week as word spread, every single Thai would be wearing a helmet

all the time. The benefit to the country overall would be tremendous, as health care and lost

work time would drop instantly. The only losers would be the police, as their helmet fine

money would dry up to a trickle from the current flood. Therefore this plan will never ever

be implemented..... :-)

• Like 2

A quick question for Beetlejuice. Do Thai policeman buy their positions ? A simple yes or

no will be fine. Since you have family members in the police force, you should be fully

Back to topic. The answer to preventing all the smashed up Thais I pass after their accidents is easy.

The government should provide every single Thai who rides a bike with a free quality helmet,

not the salad bowls with straps most Thais wear. Then when a rider is caught without a helmet,

he should be fined a few thousand baht, and the bike seized and sold off which would help pay

for the helmets. Within one week as word spread, every single Thai would be wearing a helmet

all the time. The benefit to the country overall would be tremendous, as health care and lost

work time would drop instantly. The only losers would be the police, as their helmet fine

money would dry up to a trickle from the current flood. Therefore this plan will never ever

Regarding my son’s situation.

Someone in the police department introduced him, in this case his cousin. Then he had to pass several police exams, written and physical, also considering he had an International school education and gained both a BA and a MA at a private University, plus proof of having no criminal records including his parents having no criminal records, which was emphasised more in my son’s case because I am a foreigner. The exams and tests lasted quite a while, before being accepted as a rookie and even then still on probation for one year, when he had perform a lot of the boring lower grade police tasks, such as traffic directing, being a guard at public events and cleaning up after traffic accidents. Not long after he started he was severely reprimanded because he forgot to salute a higher ranking officer, as discipline and respect for those in higher authority in a main requirement of the job.

It is usually a police recruitment policy that both parents must be Thai citizens and at first my son was told he has no chance of becoming a member of the Thai police force because of me, but some of my wife’s close family are high up officials in the Thai diplomatic corps who have a lot of influences within the Government departments and these gave my son good references so in his case they made an exception to the rule, but it was touch and go whether he would be accepted or not. I was also well scrutinised and checked out by the police and I mean well checked out, they wanted to know the ins and outs of everything. There was still a lot of prejudice against us by the higher ranking police officers who were reluctant to let a person with a foreign national parent join the force, but in the end my son’s determination and demonstration of showing he is a loyal Thai citizen got him through, plus the people that we know, so we were privileged in that respect, although my son still had to meet all the other requirements before being accepted as a Thai policeman.

It`s not a case of just walking in and saying; I want to be a policeman please, or how much to get in? And only very few actually meet the required grades and most do not pass the initial recruitment processes. Many of the police have been with the force all their lives and because of the force’s limited budgets, usually new recruits are taken on to replace others who have been murdered in the line of duty, left or plan on leaving the force. It really is a closed shop in some respects.

In Chiang Mai people can not buy themselves into the police force or promotions, it all depends on proving their abilities and I do admit it`s who you know also helps, the same as in many other occupations in Thailand. But I cannot speak for other police departments located in different regions of Thailand, for example Chiang Mai cannot be equated with the way the police force operates in Pattaya.

I do know that even in the Chiang Mai police departments there are still some rotten apples in the basket, a few do consider it as a job for the lads and a few could certainly do with some more basic training, but now Thailand is in the Asien community the force is striving to make improvements and bring more professionalism into the workings of the force and give it a better reputation both nationally and internationally. It will come but perhaps slowly with the limited resources for crime fighting they have at their disposal.

As a whole working in the police departments has it`s benefits, paid sick leave, guaranteed pensions and the security of a secure long term employment, but they lay their lives on the line every day and once in they literally have to live their lives for the force, on call 24 hours per day, some were even sent to Bangkok to help during the riots and many were injured. So it`s not all perks, corruption, fun and glory as many may believe.

Hope this answers all your questions? And BTW, as for your original question, as far as Chiang Mai is concerned, the answer is, no.

Edited by Beetlejuice

Regarding my son’s situation.

Someone in the police department introduced him, in this case his cousin. Then he had to pass several police exams, written and physical, also considering he had an International school education and gained both a BA and a MA at a private University, plus proof of having no criminal records including his parents having no criminal records, which was emphasised more in my son’s case because I am a foreigner. The exams and tests lasted quite a while, before being accepted as a rookie and even then still on probation for one year, when he had perform a lot of the boring lower grade police tasks, such as traffic directing, being a guard at public events and cleaning up after traffic accidents. Not long after he started he was severely reprimanded because he forgot to salute a higher ranking officer, as discipline and respect for those in higher authority in a main requirement of the job.

It is usually a police recruitment policy that both parents must be Thai citizens and at first my son was told he has no chance of becoming a member of the Thai police force because of me, but some of my wife’s close family are high up officials in the Thai diplomatic corps who have a lot of influences within the Government departments and these gave my son good references so in his case they made an exception to the rule, but it was touch and go whether he would be accepted or not. I was also well scrutinised and checked out by the police and I mean well checked out, they wanted to know the ins and outs of everything. There was still a lot of prejudice against us by the higher ranking police officers who were reluctant to let a person with a foreign national parent join the force, but in the end my son’s determination and demonstration of showing he is a loyal Thai citizen got him through, plus the people that we know, so we were privileged in that respect, although my son still had to meet all the other requirements before being accepted as a Thai policeman.

It`s not a case of just walking in and saying; I want to be a policeman please, or how much to get in? And only very few actually meet the required grades and most do not pass the initial recruitment processes. Many of the police have been with the force all their lives and because of the force’s limited budgets, usually new recruits are taken on to replace others who have been murdered in the line of duty, left or plan on leaving the force. It really is a closed shop in some respects.

In Chiang Mai people can not buy themselves into the police force or promotions, it all depends on proving their abilities and I do admit it`s who you know also helps, the same as in many other occupations in Thailand. But I cannot speak for other police departments located in different regions of Thailand, for example Chiang Mai cannot be equated with the way the police force operates in Pattaya.

I do know that even in the Chiang Mai police departments there are still some rotten apples in the basket, a few do consider it as a job for the lads and a few could certainly do with some more basic training, but now Thailand is in the Asien community the force is striving to make improvements and bring more professionalism into the workings of the force and give it a better reputation both nationally and internationally. It will come but perhaps slowly with the limited resources for crime fighting they have at their disposal.

As a whole working in the police departments has it`s benefits, paid sick leave, guaranteed pensions and the security of a secure long term employment, but they lay their lives on the line every day and once in they literally have to live their lives for the force, on call 24 hours per day, some were even sent to Bangkok to help during the riots and many were injured. So it`s not all perks, corruption, fun and glory as many may believe.

Hope this answers all your questions? And BTW, as for your original question, as far as Chiang Mai is concerned, the answer is, no.

A family member introduced him ??? Hooray

No money paid, and with all those qualifications had to do low life tasks, Ha Ha, and reprimanded for not saluting a senior ???

The force is striving to bring professionalism in the ranks Ha Ha---what for more road blocks and tea money.

I told you to get a life and face reality, you are surely in denial.

They have a very hard life -indeed, on top of all the benefits, the share out on the days takings ,take the biscuit. This money should go to the TREASURY not the police fund/bank.

Your answer is only a scratching of the truth. If you feel that most of the other posters are incorrect in what answers they post, let me remind you --YOU are in a small minority with your views. Live in your lovely fantasy world, fine. But do not post to posters that they do not have a clue, they are wrong, they should not be here, WE LOVE IT HERE but ARE aware of what is right and wrong and that is healthy.

I would suggest you get out of your High style of company and look around more. Just being honest-in my replies.

Check out this recently Pulitizer organization fatality interactive map.

This was just published. Thailand is second only to Dominican Republic for per capita fatalities.

http://roadskillmap.com/#17.895114303749143,26.806640624999996,1

Thailand is 38 deaths per 100k. 73% of them being from motorbikes.

Clearly there is huge room for improvement.

• Like 1

Check out this recently Pulitizer organization fatality interactive map.

This was just published. Thailand is second only to Dominican Republic for per capita fatalities.

http://roadskillmap.com/#17.895114303749143,26.806640624999996,1

Thailand is 38 deaths per 100k. 73% of them being from motorbikes.

Clearly there is huge room for improvement.

Where do we actually start, ??? cannot take everyone off the road, they cannot be re trained as there is no one to re train them.

Immediate start would be the from day 1 is who are issued licenses to drive. ONLY persons proving in some form that they are capable.

Driving examiners to take tests for 1 hour the same as the U.K.

But before this test 1 year provisional license has to be had, with L plate on the vehicle.

At no time should any license be BOUGHT.

Parents who let kids out -underage shall be punished for condoning.

Police shall GIVE a ticket to persons violating to be paid at the local fines office--NOT the police, it's not their business.

Heavy fines /confiscation of vehicle if repeated offences.

Black marks for offences-banning driving on a points collected basis.

Schools to play a part in tuition, with police attending classes to help with this.

THEN you start to get respect.

Maybe, if they would confiscate motorcycles, instead of pocketing a minor fine, compliance might follow.

They could even make bigger baht reselling the bikes.

Maybe if they stopped the CAUSE of accidents, there would be no need to wear one! And more to the point, has does a helmet protect you with a drunk driver drives into you?

• Like 1

I dont think this will change anything as the lack of wearing helmet is in the mentality. A better police control ( without bribes if possible) would be more effective. I dont remember in Vietnam seeing anyone ( at least in HCMC) without helmet....

Maybe, if they would confiscate motorcycles, instead of pocketing a minor fine, compliance might follow.

I noticed in Bali about 90% of them wore them also. My estimation.

I like

I like so many I likes that I would run out of I l;ikes doing them individually.

It took the Vietnamese some years, but in 2007 they finally enacted a tougher law and now there is virtually 100% compliance throughout the country, an amazing feat which is rather unexpected for a country where motorists (including motorcycles) just drive anyway they want. However, in Thailand's case, they could really learn how to be tough and thus enforce the same set of standards as in Vietnam, including more enforcement and tougher fines without any possibility of taking bribes, certainly not ridiculously low ones like 100 Baht. In Vietnam, people are poorer than in Thailand yet the minimum fines (or bribes) for traffic offenses are usually no less than about 200,000 Dong (about 300 Baht or US$10).

That is kind of along the lines I was thinking. I believe it is a 400 baht fine. Make the bribes 1,000 baht.

When I was reading the article I was wondering if the police were among the other groups they were working with.

When it is all over and done with it is them that will have to do the work in order to make it all work.wai2.gif