Kalamata olives

2peteok

Rimping stores have olive bars and I have seen Kalamata's.

Not cheap though.

Kasem store stocks them in the past anyway.

There are olive trees up in the mountains. Not sure the varieties they grow but fruit vendors sell olives along with the other pickled stuff like mango.

I know a bunch of trees by that artist resort past Pattara Elephant camp on the road to Somoeng.

Rimping has them in the deli section, but I think the price is about the same for an oz. of gold. I haven't looked yet, but plan to look for kalamata olives at Central Food Hall at Central Festival Mall. The English speaking staff seems quite eager to please customers, and I am sure if they don't stock it now, if you request it they will bring some up from Bangkok.

The problem with Rimping the olives as with many other non packaged products is they don't properly store and handle them. The deli counter is especially bad, the olives have a white film on top that is caused by someone putting their hands into the brine and the meat counter and scale has dried blood on them. For the price they are charging I expect better.

The problem with Rimping the olives as with many other non packaged products is they don't properly store and handle them. The deli counter is especially bad, the olives have a white film on top that is caused by someone putting their hands into the brine and the meat counter and scale has dried blood on them. For the price they are charging I expect better.

Agree - olives are not good in the deli and I think it is due to the way they are handled. We have a problem getting olives locally back home, but we can make a 3 hour drive to get very good olives. The place we buy them from gives us the brine as well and the olives with the brine keeps very well in the fridge for months.

You might try Buonissimo's located off Chang Klan Rd. They might just offer it in wholesale quantities but it can't hurt to ask. According to internet, this is their phone number: 053 275 924

Thank you. excellent suggestion. i will go there today.

and please let us know....

Buonissimos is wonderful for many italian treats unfortunately it is greek olives i am after.

I recall seeing a large can at Makro, once. Not now. Perhaps these guys might ship to CNX and we could share > http://www.phuketfood.com/condiments.htm

I have seen kalamata olives referred to as 'black' olives ... not the same! Kalamata (burgundy/purple in color) impart a unique flavour in all salads and pasta dishes. [in lieu of I resorted to using green stuffed olives]

kalamata-olives.jpg

I'd try the new Central Festival they had a wide range of gourmet food there, as for Thai olives, what do they do to them to make them taste so bad? Is is it just the natural crop or do they do something to make them taste so disgusting?

I wasn't aware that olives even grew in Thailand. But if they do, are you referring to fresh olives or cured olives?

I'd try the new Central Festival they had a wide range of gourmet food there, as for Thai olives, what do they do to them to make them taste so bad? Is is it just the natural crop or do they do something to make them taste so disgusting?

I wasn't aware that olives even grew in Thailand. But if they do, are you referring to fresh olives or cured olives?

Yes, in Hang Dong market they are fresh green olives.

With all this talk of Kalamata olives, I thought I'd pass along a recipe I use for an delicious treat to spread on crusty peasant bread.

I make it with a mix of Kalamata (for the strong flavor) and ordinary black olives (to help keep the price down.)

There are enough bakeries now in Chiang Mai that are making really good breads for this. Do NOT use ordinary white bread!

Tepenade
Ingredients

1/2 pound pitted mixed olives
1-2 anchovy fillets, rinsed
1 small clove garlic, minced ( I prefer 2-3)
2 tablespoons capers
2 to 3 fresh basil leaves
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

Put them all together in a food processor or mortor, and process until a thick, chunky paste. Spread on warm bread. Perfect with wine or beer!

• Like 1

Yes, in Hang Dong market they are fresh green olives.

Well, if they're fresh, it's no wonder they taste awful. Olives have to be cured to make them edible. That goes for olives from anywhere.

With all this talk of Kalamata olives, I thought I'd pass along a recipe I use for an delicious treat to spread on crusty peasant bread.

I make it with a mix of Kalamata (for the strong flavor) and ordinary black olives (to help keep the price down.)

There are enough bakeries now in Chiang Mai that are making really good breads for this. Do NOT use ordinary white bread!

Tepenade

Ingredients

2 tablespoons capers

Put them all together in a food processor or mortor, and process until a thick, chunky paste. Spread on warm bread. Perfect with wine or beer!

Another way to eat olives is a muffuletta sandwich. Basically its a blend of a green and black olive salad with giardiniera (pickled vegetables) and lots of other things.

Here's a list of the ingredients: Green Olives Black Olives Pickled Cauliflower, Pickled Red Pepper, Pickled Green Pepper, Pickled Celery, Pickled Carrots, Capers, Garlic, Celery,Italian Parsley,oregano,Red Wine Vinegar,Roasted red peppers, Green Onions (scallions)black pepper,

Virgin Olive Oil and a few other items.
  • Like 1

Tepenade

Ingredients

2 tablespoons capers

Another way to eat olives is a muffuletta sandwich. Basically its a blend of a green and black olive salad with giardiniera (pickled vegetables) and lots of other things.

Here's a list of the ingredients: Green Olives Black Olives Pickled Cauliflower, Pickled Red Pepper, Pickled Green Pepper, Pickled Celery, Pickled Carrots, Capers, Garlic, Celery,Italian Parsley,oregano,Red Wine Vinegar,Roasted red peppers, Green Onions (scallions)black pepper,

Virgin Olive Oil and a few other items.

Yes! And eaten while sitting on the levee in The Big Easy!