Huge variation in Christmas pudding prices

Asiantravel

I do love eating imported christmas pudding during the festive season so I thought I would compare the prices before I bought it

yesterday I was completely shocked at the price variation here in pattaya

In the prices. In one supermarket, it was 850 baht when exactly the same product was available somewhere else at 495 baht !! I snapped it up thumbsup.gif

Other establishments had prices in between

I,m in Patts now but returning back to UK for Christmas-in the New Year sales I will buy up as many Smart Price (ASDA) left over pudds and on my return late January you can buy them from my stall/temporary on soi Diana outside Nikom Court-the older a Xmas pud is the better it tastes,custard (Birds) is an optional extra.

I,m in Patts now but returning back to UK for Christmas-in the New Year sales I will buy up as many Smart Price (ASDA) left over pudds and on my return late January you can buy them from my stall/temporary on soi Diana outside Nikom Court-the older a Xmas pud is the better it tastes,custard (Birds) is an optional extra.

I guess advertising whether for legal or illegal businesses is OK now....

Been watching out for them at Rimping and Tops (CNX) for several weeks but haven't spotted any yet.

You're right about the Prices....they were exorbitant at both places the last couple of years.

As you're talking Chiang Mai, I saw them at the tiny Rim Ping at Mae Hia market. Not many so may be gone now. Price around 400 baht IIRC, but don't quote me on that.

EDIT: As with so many traditional Western foods, it would be an interesting project to make yourself.. And likely a lot cheaper.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I guess advertising whether for legal or illegal businesses is OK now....
You believed my "tongue in cheek" reply then? LOL
  • Like 1

Been watching out for them at Rimping and Tops (CNX) for several weeks but haven't spotted any yet.

You're right about the Prices....they were exorbitant at both places the last couple of years.

As you're talking Chiang Mai, I saw them at the tiny Rim Ping at Mae Hia market. Not many so may be gone now. Price around 400 baht IIRC, but don't quote me on that.

EDIT: As with so many traditional Western foods, it would be an interesting project to make yourself.. And likely a lot cheaper.

I've never been able to find suet here (nor sixpences).

• Like 1

There is a master baker I know here who asked for orders some months back for his incredible Christmas cakes, puddings and mince pies. I placed my order and the cost for a 1 kilo size pudding is way less than any imported one at half that size and in my expert opinion twice as rich and moist. Unfortunately he does limited quantities and it's way too late to order now. I will think of you, though, as I enjoy my cake and pudding late next month.

Edited by petercool

Obviously from an elite family. Threepenny bits was all I was ever allowed to break my teeth on. whistling.gif

• Like 1

If you are seriously after suet then this lot will do it http://www.wwmco.asia/.

• Like 1

Obviously from an elite family. Threepenny bits was all I was ever allowed to break my teeth on. whistling.gif

That reminds me of this program on the BBC in the 1960s and 70s laugh.png

Always a brilliant performance by Warren Mitchell. Thank goodness for you tube as well to be able to remember these gems

Edited by Asiantravel

If you are seriously after suet then this lot will do it http://www.wwmco.asia/.

Thanks for the reply but I am a regular there and I've asked for it several times - no have. Also tried Porky's, none there.

Atora vegetarian suet would be better for Xmas puds but I've never seen it here.

I'll be in the UK visiting family and friends over Christmas so I'll probably be sick of the sight of Xmas pud by the time I get home.

Edited by chickenslegs

OK, so don't keep us in suspense, which shop in Pattaya has the cheapest Christmas puddings?

What  is in it for me if I tell you, after doing all the legwork?  Posted Image

Have a guess Posted Image

I haven't seen a single Xmas pudding yet in Pattaya, and I've been looking. Friendship, Foodland, Tesco.... where else should I look?

Last year I ended up trying something a restaurant reckoned was 'Italian' Xmas pudding. It was horrible. Not remotely like the real thing.

I haven't had a Xmas Pudding for 11 years now :(

Thanks for the reply but I am a regular there and I've asked for it several times - no have. Also tried Porky's, none there.

Atora vegetarian suet would be better for Xmas puds but I've never seen it here.

I'll be in the UK visiting family and friends over Christmas so I'll probably be sick of the sight of Xmas pud by the time I get home.

Sorry to hear WWMCO doesn't sell the suet, they sure advertise it. If I get a "no hab" from the staff there I email the boss. Also maybe not of use at the moment but a while ago Friendship had veggie Atora on the baking isle by the shelled nuts, jams etc....

OK, so don't keep us in suspense, which shop in Pattaya has the cheapest Christmas puddings?

What is in it for me if I tell you, after doing all the legwork? rolleyes.gif

Have a guess tongue.png

I haven't seen a single Xmas pudding yet in Pattaya, and I've been looking. Friendship, Foodland, Tesco.... where else should I look?

Last year I ended up trying something a restaurant reckoned was 'Italian' Xmas pudding. It was horrible. Not remotely like the real thing.

I haven't had a Xmas Pudding for 11 years now sad.png

oh no…………… You made me feel sorry for you when I read that ……….I almost thought I should give you mine in the spirit of Christmas………..crying.gif

But I'm not!tongue.png

But you are not looking in the right supermarketssmile.png

("What  is in it for me if I tell you, after doing all the legwork?  .../...")

But you are not looking in the right supermarketsPosted Image

Great, thanks a bunch. This is a flaming Xmas pudding we're talking about, not a jackpot-winning lottery ticket.

What is in it for me if I tell you, after doing all the legwork? rolleyes.gif

Have a guess tongue.png

I haven't had a Xmas Pudding for 11 years now sad.png

They have them in Friendship Pattaya Tai. Expensive though, 850 baht for a full size and 225 baht for a mini one.

Birds custard, good god what is the world coming to?

("What is in it for me if I tell you, after doing all the legwork? .../...")

But you are not looking in the right supermarketssmile.png

Great, thanks a bunch. This is a flaming Xmas pudding we're talking about, not a jackpot-winning lottery ticket.

now with that kind of response “ NO CHRISTMAS PUDDING FOR YOU “ !!!!laugh.png

Birds custard, good god what is the world coming to?

Birds custard is a WELL known afrodisiac-if its too much for you I can substitute with white/brandy sauce or fresh cream. Edited by petermik