Slippin and sliding at Central Festival

zippydedodah

Wife was there today, for the 3rd time with our kid. Other times it was all good.However today was pandemonium.

Overly full and poorly staffed (as in no safety precautions or care being taken), our child was knocked down by a clumsy and aggressive teen.

Ok... that's all right... stuff happens...

but after an hour, the wife could not take the tension anymore, waiting for an accident to happen. Pulled the kid off the ice

and headed for the door...

and then it all came to a head and apparently, 2 teenswere taken to the hospital, one with a broken leg.

I imagine/hope that this will lead to better supervision by staff and more responsible managing of the number of people on the ice

at any one time.

but then... who am i kidding?!?!

Long story short... we will be going during the week and not on weekends... and bonus is that wednesday is 90 baht/hour for kids!

we were there again today and opted to no go out on the ice. Still not much supervision and the thai way of ice skating is too close to

their version of driving...

and yes, the rink is looking smaller and smaller all the time... especially when so many people are on it.

Anyone know if the Promenada ice rink is open yet?

I had read here on TV that supposedly the "official" ice hockey team was renting the promenada rink for practice so logic would say

that the promendada rink would need to be bigger?

logic?

thailand?

oh well...back to my book

we were there again today and opted to no go out on the ice. Still not much supervision and the thai way of ice skating is too close to

and yes, the rink is looking smaller and smaller all the time... especially when so many people are on it.

I had read here on TV that supposedly the "official" ice hockey team was renting the promenada rink for practice so logic would say

logic?

thailand?

Promenada ice rink should open in Jan'14...

logic?

thailand?

There's an official hockey team??

I know i shouldn't have a hard time believing it....but if they have mandatory helmets for public skating in canada....where people can actually skate....but its crazy to me not one person was wearing one when i went by the rink here.

• 1 month later...

If Jamaica can have an Olympic Bobsled Team then Thailand can have an Olympic Ice Hockey Team. clap2.gif

Hottie violinist Vanessa-Mae was reportedly in training to ski for Thailand at Sochi.

Did she actually get a slot to compete?

The women's downhill course is reportedly impressive. By the time late starters get on the course however it

won't be in very good shape. She would have to ski in control to avoid getting thrown by one of the huge jumps.

http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-vanessa-mae-trains-for-thai-olympic-team-36519.php

Edited by arunsakda

Been by there a couple of times in the last three weeks. Not really that many skaters out there. Of course it was not on the weekend.

Didn't appear to be much supervision and the ice looked in horrable shape.

We took a look day, being a Sunday it was packed and as other posters have mentioned not very big, I'll probably wait to take a look at promenada's which is opening sometime in January and I'm banking on it being larger and less packed.

^^ Not surprised if they were roller skating. tongue.png

As for the Thais causing mayhem, was there yesterday and while the natives were randomly taking people out, the biggest clown was a dork of a farang skating the wrong way and blasting through the kiddie section repeatedly. No attempts made by the 'coaches' to pull him into line. And yes the ice looked bad, haven't seen the skimmer/dresser (or whatever you call it) in use used once.

The Promenada one will doubtless be better. Never busy in there.

logic?

thailand?

I havn't seen it, but I understood that the Promenada ice surface will not be suitable for anything but pleasure skating as it is an irregular shape with 'islands' for sitting.

Is there such a thing as an 'official' hockey team? What is that?, a national team, local enthusiasts? I would expect if such a team exists that they would practice on a full size surface in BKK.

NHL rink size is 200'x85', international rinks are usually 200'x100

Apparently goals and safety netting will soon be at Central so ice hockey is definitley going to happen