British Invasion 2013-2014

homeownership

I've never heard a Scotsman, a Welshman nor an Irishman refer to themselves as 'a Brit'. Ever. Only the PC overloaded ENGLISH angry.png

You should get out more!

... only because he didn't understand the accents. Anyway, there are plenty of indigenous Scots, Welsh and N.Irish who're .....reads a bit like Scottish for Whore as said by Jimmy Connolly...... who are happy to be called Brits, most can be found in the respective unilateral parliaments and in particular The Finance Office of same, especially when the funds from LONDON central government arrive to keep 'the ship afloat' for another year !

As for PC overloaded ENGLISH is that any fault of ours? Just try voting and see if you can spot the

difference...assuming you have a right to vote anyway.

And, as previously said....try getting out more !

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Americans term it, the "British Invasion" ...

That term was used during the 50's and 60's in reference to the Beatles, the Rolling Stone, the Who, et al and their impact on the US music industry. It had nothing to do with the unwashed masses of baked-beans-on-toast bargain seeking tourists.

Nearly right, but in fact the 'British Invasion' in the music world was a mid-1960s event - 1950s ? - you must be a young person, that is way too early in the history of pop and rock, at which point in time all the influence was the OTHER way round, from the US to the UK via the importing of vinyl.

When it comes to rock and roll, Americans invented it, but the English perfected it and I am American.

Ulysses...

I had a jibe at you further up the 'post' but have just read to the end of your post and necessarily find myself 'eating humble pie, not musically but rhetorically.

The English, or more properly British did play a huge part in making R&R what it eventually became. But none of us can really take the honours for a musical style that reflected the highs and lows, aspirations and emotions of differing cultures and societies from across the globe.

Without doubt it did first mutate in America from an embryonic version of what was later to be recognised worldwide and which sprang directly from black African Americans.

The ingredient which 'sealed' its place in history does seem to be the inflections originating from British musicians, who perhaps were forced to draw upon deeper imagination to conjure up the panoramic imagery that existed around Americans for hundreds and thousands of miles in every direction.

The poor old Brits were lumbered with overcast landscapes like Birmingham,Sheffield, Glasgow or Merthyr Tydfill and hemmed in by a coastline never further than 75 miles distant.

Edited by menorah

Menorah, are you sure about Tinners Ale? Tribute is seen as the best of St Austell's ales. All this reminiscing is making me want to take a trip.

Tribute is a great pint but Tinners brings back fond memories of The Mount Ambrose Inn, at Mount Ambrose just outside Redruth...where, incidentally, a small earthquake managed to do a million £'s worth of good !!

Anyway, my then f-in-law, a lovely Tottenham man, exiled to Canterbury by order of his soon to be wife, used to drink there. Initially he was wary of the Cornish being stand-offish but needn't have worried. Two weeks after moving into the 99.9% Cornish enclave, he was 'made up' with new and very sincere friends who subsequently, would 'walk on hot coals' for him ! Such was the character of the man.

I too would dearly love a trip back, not least because \my daughter just had my first g/child, still with luck I may make her 21st birthday!

Forget St. Austell beers, Go west to Helston, Falmouth area & try Spingo best in the Blue Anchor at Helston where they brew it on site, comes in 3 strengths Light, Medium & Heavy... Thebest Beer in Cornwell....