British Invasion 2013-2014

homeownership

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ordinary families don't take three overseas holidays every year, especially staying in 4 star European hotels!

Agreed. Ordinary families may not be able to pay this winters fuel bills let alone even go to Torquay.

I know folks in the UK who actually think they're 'ordinary' but must have £150k a year clear of tax just to run the house. They also vote Labour. It's beyond me.

What utter nonsense,I wouldn't be at all surprised,to find you have never been to the UK,let alone being born there.

Do some research and you will find the average Salary for males is £31,675. and just for you who dosn't seem to too good at figures. "£150k a year" is a ridiculous per annum income in Thailand,of 7,500,000 Baht of which you claim is necessary income in the UK.

http://career-advice.monster.co.uk/salary-benefits/pay-salary-advice/uk-average-salary-graphs/article.aspx

You can't beat Torquay!

Prefer Blackpool myself, at least I can can proper beer, none of your fizzy southern man shandy.

That's somewhere in the north, no?

Seaside destinations and the north of anywhere have never computed in my simple mind.

Can I get a decent pint of "Boddies" or John Smiths down south?

Personally always have had a soft spot for Newquay, but thats another story.

There is no such thing. Try proper beersmile.png

Thailand is one of the few popular holiday destinations where people drive on the right (left) side of road. There's plenty to see beyond BKK, Pats and Phuket, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot more driving holidays in Thailand in future. The rise of the the Grey Nomad.

Am I to take it that you actually believe that there will be an increase in British tourists because of the points stated in the OP?

If it is an advertising strategy directed at people thinking of coming here, tell them the truth. Your flight prices are arse about face...............wink.png.pagespeed.ce.HJgPQ3U3SA.png

(at least that is what I used to find, Summer low season in Thailand, Winter high)

"If your lucky enough to get a seat on a plan in Summer, you can be looking at over £850 pp and £599 in Winter"

Of course, I may be wrong booking from UK.................

Hi, it's much cheaper than what you mention --- now it's high season and I see price around 500 euro return to Bkk from Italy. Maybe you should try getting around your cookies on the comp. Do the same flight check in incognito and you'll probably find totally different results. Just a suggestion

The bold text was taken from the BS OP, not information sourced by me.................wink.png

The Americans term it, the "British Invasion" ...

That term was used during the 50's and 60's in reference to the Beatles, the Rolling Stone, the Who, et al and their impact on the US music industry. It had nothing to do with the unwashed masses of baked-beans-on-toast bargain seeking tourists.

Nearly right, but in fact the 'British Invasion' in the music world was a mid-1960s event - 1950s ? - you must be a young person, that is way too early in the history of pop and rock, at which point in time all the influence was the OTHER way round, from the US to the UK via the importing of vinyl.

When it comes to rock and roll, Americans invented it, but the English perfected it and I am American.

• Like 1

That term was used during the 50's and 60's in reference to the Beatles, the Rolling Stone, the Who, et al and their impact on the US music industry. It had nothing to do with the unwashed masses of baked-beans-on-toast bargain seeking tourists.

Nearly right, but in fact the 'British Invasion' in the music world was a mid-1960s event - 1950s ? - you must be a young person, that is way too early in the history of pop and rock, at which point in time all the influence was the OTHER way round, from the US to the UK via the importing of vinyl.

When it comes to rock and roll, Americans invented it, but the English perfected it and I am American.

+1 and I'm a Brit!

no one has EVER improved on chuck berry or buddy holly!

Agreed.

I've got some friends from the states here and don't recall hearing this rhetoric from them at all. Where did you hear this?

Ordinary families don't take three overseas holidays every year, especially staying in 4 star European hotels!

Agreed. Ordinary families may not be able to pay this winters fuel bills let alone even go to Torquay.

I know folks in the UK who actually think they're 'ordinary' but must have £150k a year clear of tax just to run the house. They also vote Labour. It's beyond me.

What utter nonsense,I wouldn't be at all surprised,to find you have never been to the UK,let alone being born there.

Do some research and you will find the average Salary for males is £31,675. and just for you who dosn't seem to too good at figures. "£150k a year" is a ridiculous per annum income in Thailand,of 7,500,000 Baht of which you claim is necessary income in the UK.

http://career-advice.monster.co.uk/salary-benefits/pay-salary-advice/uk-average-salary-graphs/article.aspx

So is your assertion that the average wage for UK males is 31k... The mean average is completely skewed be the very high wages in London & the SE as you ought to know, get out of those places & it's nearer to 15k if that.....

Am I to take it that you actually believe that there will be an increase in British tourists because of the points stated in the OP?

If it is an advertising strategy directed at people thinking of coming here, tell them the truth. Your flight prices are arse about face...............wink.png

(at least that is what I used to find, Summer low season in Thailand, Winter high)

"If your lucky enough to get a seat on a plan in Summer, you can be looking at over £850 pp and £599 in Winter"

Of course, I may be wrong booking from UK.................

No, I've never been to the UK. I wasn't born there. whistling.gif

The £150k a year family I mentioned live in Kent. Not Thailand. They are one of the outliers.

Most ordinary families are struggling in the UK. It is tough there now. Most of my friends have minimum £1200 a month mortgages and very unstable jobs. Fuel bills are high. The cost of living in the UK would destroy £31k in less than a year (that's before tax by the way and before you account for outliers and skewness in the data set, something governments like to leave in to "improve" the average). The last thing they're doing right now is going on holiday anywhere.

I don't believe those figures. My brother earns around £12-£14k a year. Most plant operators I know earn around £25-£28k a year. Senior project managers, people with MSc's and ten years experience are on £30-35k. I know how much people earn because I do a lot of pricing for major contracts and run payroll on sites.

• Like 2

Trust me when I say that MJP is more British than most permanent resident Brits. and I support his numbers entirely - the problem with statistics and averages Majic is that they can be manipulated to suit, first hand, on the ground experience, rarely so.

Trust me when I say that MJP is more British than most permanent resident Brits. and I support his numbers entirely - the problem with statistics and averages Majic is that they can be manipulated to suit, first hand, on the ground experience, rarely so.

Thank you Chiang Mai.

When I got back in 2011 I had to take a job that paid £24k a year with no overtime and no bonuses, working 80 hours a week. This was with 20 years experience in the industry. I only managed to get back over here after I picked up a couple of better paying jobs on day rate and thrashed it for 18 months. But it was bloody, bloody hard as you know and it's left me in a very poorly condition.

It's bad over there.

Edited by MJP
  • Like 1

Clovelly, a bit tough on the thighs but well worth it! Padstow yes.

Looked at a house in Bideford recently, tempted.

in 1983, i went to britain with english friends that were interested in ports. we drove 3500 miles along the shorelines of england and scotland. fantastic trip.

I live near Minehead.

You know Britain is a wonderful place, it's just when I'm there I never get the time to actually enjoy it.

Both nice areas, I lived in Bristol and Wells so no Somerset very well, my two eldest children are in school in Somerset and It really is a beautiful part. The North Devon Coast is also fantastic, not so keen on the South Devon side, although lived in Plymouth for 3 years many years ago.

Cornwall, there are some nice spots in North Cornwall , but coming from West Cornwall I am a bit biased. St Ives, Lamorna, Sennen, The Lizard, The Halford and The Roseland Peninsula are all stunning IMO.

• Like 1

If a certain calibre of Brit is no longer able to afford the pilgrimage to Benidorm then Thailand is hardly in for an influx of such fine specimens.

You must be on drugs....have you never seen the calibre of pilgrim arriving in Thailand?

It's fun to knock others less wealthy but let's be honest Benidorm isn't noted for it's clandestine pedophiles or particularly for its sex tourists. Time to climb down from the ivory tower and breathe in some reality !

I was in Newquay recently. Very disappointing. Took tea in Lynmouth that afternoon, I find Devon far nicer than Cornwall.

Newquay is a shit hole. You need to go further West, to see real Cornwall. I agree though North Devon is also a beautiful part, but using Newquay to compare against Lynmouth as an example is a poor one.

I will head further West next time. I just find Cornwall a bit barren, I'll spend more time there. A day on the A39 popping into the various coves on the way is just the best day out. None of it's far from good old Weston-super-Mare in any case. Although it is a long way from Roi-Et . . . sadly.

I took this picture at Appledore that day, where I spent childhood summers living in Irsha Street.

10711965166_681b068d83_b.jpg

I quite liked Fowey

I recommend you set up your own forum, Grockles & Emmets Ahoy ! aimed at ex-pats wandering down memory lane !

But, while we're on a roll, I disagree with Newquay being a shithole, there are far far worse seaside locations able to do better justice to the claim.

I had a 'foot in both camps', Devon & Cwll and the two counties are dramatically different but each with their own virtues.

Regarding Beer down south (earlier post) Tuckers Maltings in Newton Abbot, produce a fine range of quality beers and St Austell brewery has an equally good selection of brews....beware there Tinners Ale, it can creep up on you before you know it.

And, getting back to OP, I agree with others that this is a load of tosh written while sitting in the khazi whilst waiting for something to happen

• Like 1

Menorah, are you sure about Tinners Ale? Tribute is seen as the best of St Austell's ales. All this reminiscing is making me want to take a trip.

It's cold and grey there at the moment. Best off summertime.

Oh dear ! The Americans invented Rock & Roll.

I don't want to get involved in a lecture on the history and origins of a musical style that is an amalgam of several pre existing styles and by no means, directly attributable to Black African American people via Gospel music, Rythm & Blues and Country.....so I won't.

Menorah, are you sure about Tinners Ale? Tribute is seen as the best of St Austell's ales. All this reminiscing is making me want to take a trip.

Tribute is a great pint but Tinners brings back fond memories of The Mount Ambrose Inn, at Mount Ambrose just outside Redruth...where, incidentally, a small earthquake managed to do a million £'s worth of good !!

Anyway, my then f-in-law, a lovely Tottenham man, exiled to Canterbury by order of his soon to be wife, used to drink there. Initially he was wary of the Cornish being stand-offish but needn't have worried. Two weeks after moving into the 99.9% Cornish enclave, he was 'made up' with new and very sincere friends who subsequently, would 'walk on hot coals' for him ! Such was the character of the man.

I too would dearly love a trip back, not least because \my daughter just had my first g/child, still with luck I may make her 21st birthday!

• Like 2