Question for my thai GF : anything permission needed to open a video rental shop ?

Hi,

Does anyone know if there is any permission needed to open a video DVD rental shop for a thai citizen ? Is there any license needed ?

I supposed most everything sell and rent in this domain is pure illegal copy, is it as easy as opening a food shop ... just burn your DVDs and rent them ?

thx

I'm sure you've done a business plan or at least some research, but round my neck of the woods a number of video rental shops have closed their doors.

As you rightly say copied DVD's are plentiful and cheap.

I suppose if your girlfriend is seen to be renting copied discs she called fall foul of a number of organisations.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

She doesn't want to open a big renting shop, it should be considered as a small part the main activity of her shop, she intends to sell things. It would just be a stand with the last movies and some TV series or TV shows thai people enjoy to watch.

It is ok if she had to fill papers, but I'd like to know what about copies ? is everything rented in this kind of shops are illegal copies ?

PS : Brit1984, I don't find your comment funny and it doesn't bring anything to my post. It's the kind of comment you can read many times through years, it's just boring at last.

She doesn't want to open a big renting shop, it should be considered as a small part the main activity of her shop, she intends to sell things. It would just be a stand with the last movies and some TV series or TV shows thai people enjoy to watch.

It is ok if she had to fill papers, but I'd like to know what about copies ? is everything rented in this kind of shops are illegal copies ?

PS : Brit1984, I don't find your comment funny and it doesn't bring anything to my post. It's the kind of comment you can read many times through years, it's just boring at last.

Actually Brit1984 gave you some very good advice - I think he was giving you an out from investing your cash in a risky venture. Since I assume, even though you didn't say so, that you are the backer and silent partner of the venture.

I doubt if opening a food shop is without its complications and risk. Selling pirated DVDs would probably attract a quick raid from the local Police as they have an agreement (are paid) with copyright organizations for enforcement. They could then point out your GF as an example of enforcement while they continued to collected bribes from her competitors. "She is going to sell things" - what could anyone sell in Thailand that is not already being sold? If this is her idea - her dream of a better life - why doesn't she already know which "papers" are needed? It also might be that the local thugs would pose more of a problem than "papers".

These sort of questions are continuously being posted by Farangs who believe their brilliant testicular thinking will prevent them from being taken; boring to say the least.

I know a smart hard working Thai woman who opened a video rental / sale shop. The merchandise was pirate. All went well until she owed a money lender a sum she could not repay on time. They called the authorities and she found herself at the police station.

The threat to your wife's shop is when someone wants to make trouble for her or the police decide to do a shakedown. Perhaps they find out she is bank rolled by a farang and assume there is $$$ to be had.

Best not to any business afoul of the law.

On another note, it is always good to get to know the police or military who live in your neighborhood or near your shop. Give gifts on holidays. Be friendly. Develop a relationship of some kind. It will only serve to help any business you undertake.

It's past business, DVD, CD etc are fading out rapidly even in Thailand with the rapid roll-out of internet via mobile and WiFi.

Including the Thais in my family nobody has touched a DVD in at least 5 years.

On top of that anything illegal will set you up for paying fines that Thais will never be charged, but sure you will!

My advise, find something that will make money today and tomorrow, not yesterday.

What are videos??

Can you play them on a laptop??

tell her she needs permission from you and you have decided not to grant it

This is the best and most succinct piece of advice you will get on this post. In the land of counterfeit, in the age of bittorrent, people are going to pay a rental fee then actually RETURN the disc? And when the next big business concept comes up, quash that one, too.

• Like 2

I thought with all the GMMZ box and TrueVisions Free box and others that are out there would be no market for a DVD shop, or at least not enough of a market to make it worth while. I know a person who has a Internet shop up country and she has had problems with the BIB wanting their cut of her very small pie. Might be the same with a VDO place.

To the OP, let me say this! I disagree with all the naysayers pertaining to the business. However, what they said about it being passed the good business viability date, it is not without merit.

I'm not going to dwell on the legal or illegalities of it. Nonetheless, I would like you to know that for a business to prosper it pretty much depended on strategies and know-hows. Location is vital for this kind of endeavour. Though to rent a DVD might be passe for a certain group of people in some demographics with cable and internet, but at the same time it is sought by many without.

Straight of, I can tell you that there are 3 video rental shops near where I live in Prachachuen that is doing brisk business. I for one am an occassional customer even with all the predisposed basic necessities of having internet and cable.

So be it big or small, do a simple SWOT analysis before embarking on your endeavour. Chok dee! :)

Thanks everyone for the replies. Thks brit1984 because you answered my reply with gentleness. I didn't catch watch you mean in the first place.

I want to reply to IBoldnewguy, maybe I didn't catch your reply too, but your comment just left me upset. You're telling the old and famous story of the stupid farang coming in Thailand with stars in the eyes, and whatever you quoted about testicles, and all the boring cliches. Please make me a favor b4 you want to bring help in a thread, don't suppose in the first place the guy you are talking to is the first common stupid farang in Asia. We are all different, we are not all dreaming of giving a better life to her girlfriend !

I'm just here because I'm better than she does with computers and she never waited for me to have a job or to fill papers. But internet is a quick way to get informations.

In farangland, if one boy ask for some help for his wife on a forum is it to bring her a better life ? No, you wouldn't think about posting such comments.

That's just racist thoughts, though I understand it can be a reality, but for the people like us, that is racist blabla from people who don't care to know whom they talk to.

To come back to the main reason of this thread, I knew DVD renting shops is a dying industry even in Thailand, I say by myself some shop closing and selling everything instead of renting.

But I'm not talking about a real rental shop, just a small stand where locals from the near streets could find the new movies. I have been a customer when I was in chiang mai, and I cannot say there were no customers at all. And at the cost of a DVD, maybe 1 or 2 baths, it may bring 2000 or 3000 baths a months maybe.

But as many of you quoted, it seems to be a risky business, so it doesn't worth to get into troubles for just a few more baths.

she will need to register with the licensing authorities, then she will need to get licenses for all movies she plans to rent out.

It is illegal to rent or sell bootleg DVD or any other illegally copied intellectual property.

The police will confiscate the contents of her shop and she will be arrested fined and or imprisoned.

Is it worth the trouble? why does she not just open a noodle restaurant or something?

• Like 1

No licence needed for DVD rental but there is no longer a lot of demand for this business. Dealing in pirated product could attract unwelcome attention from the police.

"No licence needed for DVD rental"

Not correct, one needs a license, its expensive, and other medias mainly the internet has made this business obsolete.

I would too suggest formulating a business plan which includes something besides a dying video scheme. Also, consider waiting a bit until the political winds die down and the country's fiscal house is a bit tidier. Prudence and patience may cost much less than haste and waste.

Don't know about the licensing requirements, however if you can bu something like a dvd for Baht 40 and rent it out for 10% of its original cost Baht 4 per time as long as you manage 11 rentals per disc per year your ROI isn't too bad.

Not my cup of tea, but if it fits in along with everything else why not

Don't know about the licensing requirements, however if you can bu something like a dvd for Baht 40 and rent it out for 10% of its original cost Baht 4 per time as long as you manage 11 rentals per disc per year your ROI isn't too bad.

Not my cup of tea, but if it fits in along with everything else why not

If your business model is to make 4 baht on a sale then you've come a very long way already - in the wrong direction...

Not good idea unless you have a lot of capitol to open and operate. Too many problems in the end. Shop is rental cheap but the copy right laws can bite you badly. Business license needed after 6 months and that's where problems start. If government comes to inspect you either pay heavily or get discs taken, fined and put out of business. Rentals never returned on time, come back scratched or damaged, always need to keep stock up dated and we are talking thousands of disc's. I know, I tried it with my GF. Big hassle.