Letter To Mr Thaksin

sanook mak

Mr. Thaksin,

Whilst you read this opinion, please understand that this is only an opinion of one person, Farang as you might call him, of how he feels about the life he leads in the wonderful Kingdom called Thailand.

Firstly, he would like to say that the life he leads in Thailand is inspirational. He has learnt so much about his life away from the original country of his birth that this has only served him to become a better person. He owes this to the Buddhist culture that Thailand offers, the love for his new found King and to the Thai people he spends his time with.

The writer is not so eloquent, not so educated or not so politically well versed as to imply a better policy, but he is real enough to understand when a policy is not real enough to work.

The writer asks you, Mr. Thaksin to take a look at how the policies your TRT party is trying to implement. As the writer of this piece can only see that true “social reform” can only come through the abolishment of corruption.

Early closing time of pubs and bars can only take place if the police force enforces it, this I cannot see happening.

Infact, early closing can be truly achieved by cleaning up the police force. A true and honest police force ideally will be in control of such matters, and therefore claiming your “social order” campaign a success. Until this is achieved there will be no “social order” as the citizens of your country will be either out of work or unhappy in their lives.

Mr. Thaksin, you have claimed Thailand drug free, is this true? Without an honest police force how can you be sure of anything?

The people of Thailand have undoubtedly benefited from your leadership, and for this I am sure they are grateful, but the plans you have for Thailand will only ever become reality if you clean the police force.

Mr. Thaksin, there may well be some sinister reactions to my letter, but hopefully there will be some positive ones too. Please listen to your people, as they are Thailand.

Hi,

In order for Thailand to have an " honest police force ",

the government must be sincere and serious enough to combat corruption.

Learn from Malaysia..... they have a " ACA "(Anti Corruption Agency).

Learn from Hong Kong..... that have a " ICAC " (Independent Commission for Anti Corruption).

Because of these two law enforcement agencies, many police officers, civil servants, and

other government servants were found guilty of corruption and sent to prison.

It may not completely wipe out corruption..... but it will be a deterrent for corruption.

The public could lodge complaints/reports to these agencies and action will be taken.

It is because of this ACA and ICAC , the level of corruption is kept under control.

It is high time for Thailand to wake up and grow up !

:o

" ICAC " (Independent Commission for Anti Corruption).

I thought ICAC means Interferance of Chinese Ancient Customs. :o

OK, it was an old joke from the time the ICAC was introduced.

Otherwise, I do agree, it works in HKG and Malaysia. Initially, I had some, very little, hope with a few new organizations in Thailand and guess I was wrong.

As an after thought, I just wonder what the verdict against Chuangchalerm will be.

Tears came to my eyes when reading the caring father's last statement in court.

Otherwise, I do agree, it works in HKG and Malaysia. Initially, I had some, very little, hope with a few new organizations in Thailand and guess I was wrong.

Who said it worked in Malaysia? Heard from Anwar Ibrahim, lately?

Hongkong does work, and will continue to do so, as long as they retain an independent and clean judiciary. The example set in Beijing is uninspiring.

As an after thought, I just wonder what the verdict against Chuangchalerm will be. Tears came to my eyes when reading the caring father's last statement in court.

I got 100 Baht says the lad gets off with time served or some other disproportionately soft punishment for cold blooded murder. Punters?

Cheers

So why doesn't he do something about it?

Doesn't Mr. Thaksin want to bring Thailand into the 1st world?

If he is so smart then perhaps he is smart enough to understand that corruption, and 3rd world go hand in hand.

Well done sanook mak.

Can you tell me did you send this letter to Mr. Thaksin? If not why not, there is no way you will solve Thai Police corruption here on this forum, but ###### thanks for sharing those concerns here anyway

as bmanly says, did you send this on the Mr. Thaksin?

perhaps you do not know how...anybody out there with the correct way for sanook mak to send it on the Mr Thaksin?

I too am sick of corruption.

I think that we are all sick of corruption. Corruption is everywhere not only in Thailand. Some countries call it sponsorship for the political campaigns, whatever, corruption sickens everybody but it is the name of the game in Thailand.

Look at Indonesia, what has happen after the fall of Suharto, is it a better place today. At least during his rule the corruption was controlled (not that I support corruption) but it is something we have to live with until the gap between the rich and the poor can be narrowed. Today Jarkarta is almost lawless, stop at a traffic junction and they will ripout your side mirrors infront of your very eyes and play catch me if you dare, at least it is not the case in Thailand.

Alright, I don't agree with Supercop Thaksin's ways but if he had a feedback avenue, I guess I might like him more.

At least I am an expat and I have a fallback plan to go home if all else fails here and bring my love ones with me but what can the average man in the street in Thailand do but wait for the King or a foreign funded army general to take action (and I hope not because innocent people might die)

It'd help a lot if the police were paid a liveable wage instead of a pittance. Without an increase the corruption issue will remain alive.

You're right, of course, Dr. Pat.

I wonder how much would be sufficient enough in order to get them to actually police?

As Burin Kantabutra has so often stressed in his excellent letters to Bkk. Post and Nation over the years, the best way to put a dent in the horrible corruption problem in Thai society is to stick a few of the guilty in jail. He is not talking so much about low-level police corruption. Rather, to really set a good example, some of the real ripoff artists must be seen to actually reside inside a prison cell for extended periods of time. Instead, the reality is that no one responsible for the immense theft of money in the form of "loans to friends" before 1997 has ever landed in the monkey house. My hopes briefly rose when former minister Rakkiat Sukthana was actually convicted, but then of course he was allowed to jump bail and disappear. When corruption is seen as without real penalty, it will continue to eat away at Thailand's economy and morality.

Thank you kindly for your input people of Thaivisa.

perhaps you do not know how...anybody out there with the correct way for sanook mak to send it on the Mr Thaksin?

Tukyleith, yes you are correct. But whilst I might like to share my veiws and eagerly read people's reactions inturn perhaps validating my own feelings, I am not so much a political animal.

But since it has been mentioned, how would you all feel about an FRT party? :o

no, I didn't think it would work either.

Truth I had a few beers in my belly and had just finished a political discussion with a group of freinds at the pub. I was quite worked up and wanted to express my feelings. I do not have any intentions of taking this any further than Thaivisa, it was simply meant as almost a soap box affair, it wasn't so much my couple of sentences that I thought might matter but rather a whole group of similar thoughts from various people might have more of an eye openning effect than a simple letter. thanks

sanook mai?

It'd help a lot if the police were paid a liveable wage instead of a pittance. Without an increase the corruption issue will remain alive.

I wonder how much would be sufficient enough in order to get them to actually police?

Hard to say....but a family man police officer genuinely can't afford things like school expenses for his kids

Hard to say....but a family man police officer genuinely can't afford things like school expenses for his kids

my sister in laws husband is a policeman and has just got promoted to chief petty officer or just above. 18 YEARS in earns 12k baht a month.Very nice man and not an ounce of corruption in him.Cant work out how the police are paid over here though because when i first came here i ended up lending him (paid back no problem) 10000 baht because he had not been paid for 6 months from the previous branch he worked for.Then before promotion a month or so ago ago he was on 260 baht a day.Wife and three kids . :o

my sister in laws husband is a policeman and has just got promoted to chief petty officer or just above. 18 YEARS in earns 12k baht a month.Very nice man and not an ounce of corruption in him.Cant work out how the police are paid over here though because when i first came here i ended up lending him (paid back no problem) 10000 baht because he had not been paid for 6 months from the previous branch he worked for.Then before promotion a month or so ago ago he was on 260 baht a day.Wife and three kids . :D

The poor bugger couldn't exist on that amount with a family :o

I agree with that ...... one of my frens dad who is a police sergent in sadao own 5 car ....... issit possible to own it with his pay as a police officer ??? when i ask my frens how come his dad can afford to own five car ? He told me he is doing business ?? haha , policeman is actually a business man ??

• 2 years later...

Corruption can only be stopped from the top down - but to get to the top you need to be corrupt or at least complicit in it to some degree - therefore an anti-corruption drive is a difficult thing as exposure as a hypocrite is inevitable.

Corruption will not disappear over night in thailand (or any other developing nation) - only through greater education - particularly political education - of the majority will we see any real progress. Just like what happened in the developed world 100 years previous!

Hi,

In order for Thailand to have an " honest police force ",

the government must be sincere and serious enough to combat corruption.

Learn from Malaysia..... they have a " ACA "(Anti Corruption Agency).

Learn from Hong Kong..... that have a " ICAC " (Independent Commission for Anti Corruption).

There was a simular commission in thailand a few years ago,i forgot the name of it.They were closed down.Because of corruption.They gave theirself a salary increase without authorisation.

I'm pretty sure that I remember reading in this forum some time ago (can't find the topic, but it was during another one of Thaksin's crackdowns / brainstorms) about how a mailbox was being placed in front of his house for people to drop messages, or that you can send via Thailand post (no stamp required) to:

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra

Government House, Thailand

I'd recommend the Thailand post method. You would likely be arrested right now if you went anywhere near his house with a suspicious package. Could be a letter bomb.......

Edited by bino