are air rifles legal in thailand eg 1200 fps .177 lead pellet firing spring action.

kiwikeith

You need to register an AIR GUN here!!?? Really? blink.png I'd like to have one just to sting the soi dogs asses that bark all dam_n night long a hundred yards away from my room!

Did you read: 1200 feet per second. the velocity he is stating?

Just as a comparison, the 0.45 cal military cap automatic handgun has a muzzle velocity of about 750 fps, if I recall correctly from my loading days when I also used to load 460 Weatherby.

I would think you could kill a dog with that. But how do you get springs to shoot like that?

And the 45 is a lot heavier 200 grain bullet, or something.

What damage can a pellet gun with 1200 fps do?

To get 1200 fps you need a good .177 (a British or German-made). The pellet is too light to have much stopping power, though it will take out an eye.

To stop an intruder, you need a Korean-made Dragonslayer in .45 or .50 caliber. At 600 fps it's only half the velocity, but 25 times the energy. Takes down a boar (or deer).

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100324172525AAuz0or

If you are talking energy, then velocity is crucial since it is squared.

For example, the 0.17 caliber magnum rifle round with a muzzle velocity of over 5000 fps.

WHAMO!

velocity x velocity x bullet weight in grains

Velocity in Ft/sec --------------------------------------------------- = Energy in Ft/lb

Edited by Kimera

I have been searching for an air-rifle as well to shoot snakes. I asked my friend (Thai policeman) and he called his friend straight away and could sell me one. The next week he had forgotten about that so i searched some markets and found the .45 mm rifles with lead pellets without any permit. It was a crappy one from Indonesia and also 5000 baht so i didn't take it.

Gaspowered pistols they had plenty and the white ballshooters are everywhere. They don't ask for permits or licence. One day our security guard showed me his Uzi-model ballshooter and shot with it to show me, that really works! But i don't want to have that one, just a simple good air-rifle is what i want.

My M4 Carbine "Look Alike" is electrically ( re chargable battery) loaded and compressed air projection of 5.95 mm, 0.20gm plastic pellets Velocity 330F/s. Range 75/100 metre. On full automatic the firing rate is in excess of 500 pellets / minute. Quite effective for deterring Soi Dogs and neighbour's chickens.

Checked in with the said weapon at the R.T.Police at the Local Ampur and was told all OK if no complaints from persons who have been fired at or struck in which case compensation may be liable.

NO Licence, NO Tabien Baan, NO passport. NO name required!

Got a pic? Interested!

I just did a quick search using Thai language and found that there are a number of Thai websites offering .22 and .177 air rifles. A variety of brands are available and some quite high end products. As to legality, that is another matter entirely. The Thais refer to .177 as size 1 and .22 as size 2.