Traditional Christmas dinner & lunch

Barney R

Hi I have been asked by my long time Thai girlfriends boss to help formulate a Xmas dinner and lunch, they are owners of a large resort complex . I am Aussie but most of the guests are European ie. Russian , French , Italian ect and I really do not know what they traditionally have for Xmas . In OZ it is normally baked ham , chicken , veggies , salad and Xmas pudding along with many many beers ,champers ect . Any input would be greatly appreciated . Thank you in advance .

I cant help with Russians but the French (at home) would expect such things as shellfish (oysters, lobster etc), smoked salmon, caviar, foie gras, any sort of expensive meats that you may not have every day, vegetables etc, followed by many good cheeses and something like the "13 dessert plate" which has 13 different desserts on it. All served with champagne, and suitable different wines for each course.

And they would eat that on Xmas Eve, not on Xmas day. They would have something similar on New Year's Eve also. They spend a huge amount of money on these two meals.

To do properly here it would cost a bomb but some parts of it could be done with local ingredients at reasonable cost and still provide good quality. Depends on how much they want to charge for it, I suppose.

What the French surely wouldn't have is Xmas pudding! Few Frenchmen care for "le pudding Anglais", though I've known some who do.

For Canadians, appetizers are crackers with pate, smoked salmon, and fresh cleaned (no shell or veins) steamed shrimp with seafood sauce served with cocktails; 1st course is salad ( lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, celery, green pepper, red pepper, onions optional), main course is roast turkey, with gravy, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, greens beans with butter and sliced toasted almonds, turnip, carrots, bread, butter, relish tray, with dill pickles, green onions, celery red and white wine; desert is rice or plum pudding or peach flambe, with coffee and finally shooters of grand marnier and cognac.

Edited by cigar7

For Canadians, appetizers are crackers with pate, smoked salmon, and fresh cleaned (no shell or veins) steamed shrimp with seafood sauce served with cocktails; 1st course is salad ( lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, celery, green pepper, red pepper, onions optional), main course is roast turkey, with gravy, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, greens beans with butter and sliced toasted almonds, turnip, carrots, bread, butter, relish tray, with dill pickles, green onions, celery red and white wine; desert is rice or plum pudding or peach flambe, with coffee and finally shooters of grand marnier and cognac.

As a feller Canuck you just made me hungry but you forgot cases and cases of Lucky Beer and then after dinner, Banjers, guitars, fiddles etc.

Thank heavens I've never had an Xmas dinner in Oz. Salad??

What about turkey and roast potatoes??

Weird.

Not really weird when its 38 deg c in the shade. we never have a hot meal at xmas. Plenty of cold meats like ham, turkey, chicken, lamb, crabs, prawns Salads yeah & lots of ice cold beer.

Weird maybe but who wants to eat a hot dinner in that climate, not I that for sure.

Thank heavens I've never had an Xmas dinner in Oz. Salad??

What about turkey and roast potatoes??

Weird.

Not really weird when its 38 deg c in the shade. we never have a hot meal at xmas. Plenty of cold meats like ham, turkey, chicken, lamb, crabs, prawns Salads yeah & lots of ice cold beer.

Weird maybe but who wants to eat a hot dinner in that climate, not I that for sure.

You never eat hot dinners when it's hot??

<deleted>...never heard anything like it in my life...