Phuket ‘black’ taxis now being fined

Lite Beer

Phuket ‘black’ taxis now being fined
Khemin Wicheetthagoon

1385463125_1.jpg
Jamroen Thippayapongtada: They've had enough time.

PHUKET: Police have now begun stopping unlicensed “black” taxis and fining their drivers B2,000 a time.

This was revealed by Vice-Governor Jamroen Thippayapongtada at a meeting this afternoon (November 26) at the Integrated Operational Centre for Preventing and Suppressing Organised Crimes Targeting Tourists, located in Phuket Town, to discuss taxi problems.

He said that up until now, police had not stopped black taxis because authorities understood that collecting the B70,000-80,000 for the license fees would take time. “But now [police] must catch them because [black taxi drivers] have had a reasonable amount of time [to raise the funds].”

The meeting also discussed taxi and tuk-tuk parking problems. V/Gov Jamroen asked for comments and ideas from local government officials and police to tackle the problem of traffic jams caused by taxis and tuk-tuks parking along roads.

“We need to manage the roads in a way that eases traffic, and so that tourists can find a place to park. People should look at Thalang Town as a model.”

V/Gov Jamroen noted that Phuket has 2,882 taxis but only 1,500-1,600 of these are licensed and have green license plates.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-%E2%80%98black%E2%80%99-taxis-now-being-fined-43089.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-11-26

Really!!!!

I witnessed a policeman asking an illegal taxi driver too just remove his sign from the roof of his car and when I asked what about the red and white markings he is parking in .

Quote. Where he gonna go then...

Who cares he is driving and parking illegally .

Not your business Farang

Beautiful.....

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

• Like 2

Really!!!!

I witnessed a policeman asking an illegal taxi driver too just remove his sign from the roof of his car and when I asked what about the red and white markings he is parking in .

Quote. Where he gonna go then...

Who cares he is driving and parking illegally .

Not your business Farang

Beautiful.....

There is the proble, the attitude. It doesn't matter what laws they make, Thais will never respect the law. Look at the 100% helmet law, i see police not wearing helmets riding past our shop through the town center on a daily basis....

• Like 1

Bored... Just been living here for 3 1/2 years and this topic on Taxi's Jet Skis,Public Transport.... its all getting a bit long in the tooth..., Please either fix it or just let it be.

Been here a lot longer than u my friend and although I agree with u was just making a point on the subject

Other than the pressure of parking illegally and taking up spots meant for residents/tourists the black taxis are not

the problem. It is the legal taxi, mafia and the outrageous rates they charge. No meters, 35% kickbacks to them from

Gem shops and tourist venues. laying siege to hotels so no other taxis can pick up guests in "there territory" it is the

system that is the issue not the black taxi's. Easy to pick on them.

• Like 2