Marrying your wifes sister.

playbgnow

Guess the only answer is to ask the wife. But I think my question was more about Thai culture as opposed to western where it is (if not common practice) done.

I thought that the sister in law was just one of the relatives included in the incest taboo. Any anthrpologists out there like to comment?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, understood, but I guess I was thinking along the lines that in Western culture this is not unheard of over the centuries. Actual marriage not really being the core issue, I guess. More of a matter of she's getting on and it's economically doable.

is the reason for marrying the older sister because you actually love her? or is because you pity her (you said she is "getting on").

is it because she has never been married before and she is older, so if you marry her, she can be happy ?

i am going to 'assume' that your current wife, (the younger sister) is already understanding of this situation, yes ?

so I wanna say to you all: That is very nice that you 'care' about the happiness of this older sister. and if thats what you wall want to do, then 'go for it'.

BUT, its a bit fake and not real love.

if you DO have REAL LOVE for this older sister, then what does the younger sister think?

is she ok with that too ?

if so, then it may be fun for you, but it could turn to disaster (after a few months) !!!!!

if your current wife does not know about this, or if she is uncomfortable with this whole idea then you could end up in a 'dangerous' situation.

jealousy can cut people deep. especially the less stable people.

if you are going to have a jealous wife around, then it could be pretty dangerous for you.

if your current wife entertains the idea of you marrying her sister coz her sister is lonely, then its all embedded in false energy. the marriage would be aesthetic (but fake). and anyone who entertains this idea is obviously not in complete 'sound' logic or mind.

so these kind of people are MOST LIKELY to react worse when jealousy hits them !!!

I hope you understand what I am saying!

basically,, the less stable and more illogical or uneducated, the worse the jealousy can be !!!

if these two girls are marrying for reasons that are not complete love, then the jealousy that may arise in the future could be more uncontrollable.

look at these two girls (in your mind) and ask yourself: are they educated stable minded people? have you ever seen any of them act in any way that you considered to be dumb, stupid, crazy, majorly illogical, etc ??

the warning signs are ALWAYS apparent when you enter into ANY relationship. (you just need to have good recognition and judgement skills).

if you want to get more helpful answers you must let us know what exactly is the whole situation. you really didnt give much info.

How old is every body involved in this Drama?

Ok, understood, but I guess I was thinking along the lines that in Western culture this is not unheard of over the centuries. Actual marriage not really being the core issue, I guess. More of a matter of she's getting on and it's economically doable.

is the reason for marrying the older sister because you actually love her? or is because you pity her (you said she is "getting on").

is it because she has never been married before and she is older, so if you marry her, she can be happy ?

i am going to 'assume' that your current wife, (the younger sister) is already understanding of this situation, yes ?

so I wanna say to you all: That is very nice that you 'care' about the happiness of this older sister. and if thats what you wall want to do, then 'go for it'.

BUT, its a bit fake and not real love.

if you DO have REAL LOVE for this older sister, then what does the younger sister think?

is she ok with that too ?

if so, then it may be fun for you, but it could turn to disaster (after a few months) !!!!!

if your current wife does not know about this, or if she is uncomfortable with this whole idea then you could end up in a 'dangerous' situation.

jealousy can cut people deep. especially the less stable people.

if you are going to have a jealous wife around, then it could be pretty dangerous for you.

if your current wife entertains the idea of you marrying her sister coz her sister is lonely, then its all embedded in false energy. the marriage would be aesthetic (but fake). and anyone who entertains this idea is obviously not in complete 'sound' logic or mind.

so these kind of people are MOST LIKELY to react worse when jealousy hits them !!!

I hope you understand what I am saying!

basically,, the less stable and more illogical or uneducated, the worse the jealousy can be !!!

if these two girls are marrying for reasons that are not complete love, then the jealousy that may arise in the future could be more uncontrollable.

look at these two girls (in your mind) and ask yourself: are they educated stable minded people? have you ever seen any of them act in any way that you considered to be dumb, stupid, crazy, majorly illogical, etc ??

the warning signs are ALWAYS apparent when you enter into ANY relationship. (you just need to have good recognition and judgement skills).

if you want to get more helpful answers you must let us know what exactly is the whole situation. you really didnt give much info.

How old is every body involved in this Drama?

was that sarcasm? or a genuine question?

I hope it wasnt sarcasm coz maybe you didnt read my FULL answer clearly.

i asked him 'vetting questions' and gave some realistic options.

We all know the punishment for Bigamy..............................................................more than one mother in law.

Maybe this is what OP tries to avoid.

Or, maybe the truth is as simple as already explained here in this thread............troll.

For the sake of argument, let's assume:

1) The OP is not trolling

2) His intent is to be "married" to both sisters

3) He is intending to marry the second one in the "up-country" sense, not in the "go to the amphur and make the paper" sense

4) We can put aside our cultural biases regarding polygamy.

5) The current wife is on board with the plan

The greatest barrier that I can see would be the fact that the older sister would be the minor wife...I do not believe that would work over time.

"Would it be acceptable" was the OP's question. I am not sure, but my question would be, "Acceptable to whom?"

There is no issue if all what you have stated are the facts.

The issue may arise if his wife wishes to divorce and in that case she has a prima facie case for he has taken another woman as his wife so he loses out on a three year separation. The other issue is his visa if the wife goes for a divorce he will have to revert to a tourist visa is how I see it.

We all know the punishment for Bigamy..............................................................more than one mother in law.

It's his wife's sister, so a good chance they have the same mother. blink.png

Read more than only one line of the post, and you have your answer.

wink.png

If you all convert to Islam, then you can have up to 4 wives and therefore 4 times the headaches. The Quran states in

Sura 4:12 "God commandeth you to give the male the portion of two females.". Four provinces in the South of Thailand allow such marriages and also you can get married at the National Islamic Center in Bangkok. If you are not a Muslim, they offer a quickie conversion with certificate, prior to the marriage ceremony which takes 1 hour. In common law it is still bigamy but Suria Law takes precedent to man made laws.

If you all convert to Islam, then you can have up to 4 wives and therefore 4 times the headaches. The Quran states in

Sura 4:12 "God commandeth you to give the male the portion of two females.". Four provinces in the South of Thailand allow such marriages and also you can get married at the National Islamic Center in Bangkok. If you are not a Muslim, they offer a quickie conversion with certificate, prior to the marriage ceremony which takes 1 hour. In common law it is still bigamy but Suria Law takes precedent to man made laws.

4 wives!!..no wonder they wanna blow themselves up.

Edited by krisb

Now believing that tripe!