Thailand - a nation high on political hatred and confrontation

webfact

Political maturity, Khun Pravit?

It's the same tired squabble over a bigger share of the cake.

If this situation does honestly and openly address the real issue of corruption - with both sides coming clean - then we will begin to see some hope to this hopeless and destructive cycle.

Until that happens, once the current dust settles, it will be back to business as usual.

Until the next time.

sent from my hippo phone

• Like 2

Termite and vagina face. Not far from the truth I would say.

You obviously are a bit further down the food chain than many of us. Thailand is supposed to be a modern developing country with a democratic political system. While it's still got a way to go in terms of accepting minority viewpoints, the pathetic name calling of all politicians is very childish- whoever does it.

• Like 1

If we can get through the current crisis and political confrontation without killings or a coup, that in itself would be an accomplishment and a sign of political maturity.

What an absurd comment.

It would be seen as an accomplishment of nothing. It would send out a message that screams, if you want a change in government all you have to do is bring Bangkok to a halt. No killing or coup required.

Bangkok will be effectively closed on a 24/7 basis, because there will always be some group wanting change.

Political maturity starts at the ballot box. with electoral reform.

• Like 1

I think Suthep has over played his hand and the advatages have gone. Taking over govt offices is not part of any political process in a democratic society and he should have rejected that instead of encouraging it.

One of the biggest problems is the police, there are loads of them but what are they? Just uniformed govt employees who cannot police anything or prevent protestors going where they should not, now why is that is it that they have poor training or are poorly led, plan things badly and have not back up plans, they just dont seem to be able to react to a changing situation.

I have seen many May Day incidents in London and how the police dealt with situations. The Thai police look good so long as there no confrontation of violence then they dont want to know. No matter which side you support the police should be independent of that and uphold the law of the land for all so that ordinary members of the public can go about their business in safety, until that happens these protests, rallies and political boundary pushers will disrupt Thailand and cement the very deep differences in society, consensus is not recognized here, it should be, you win some, you lose some but you get a result that might just make the future a bit brighter, we live in hope.

• Like 1

Political maturity, Khun Pravit?

It's the same tired squabble over a bigger share of the cake.

If this situation does honestly and openly address the real issue of corruption - with both sides coming clean - then we will begin to see some hope to this hopeless and destructive cycle.

Until that happens, once the current dust settles, it will be back to business as usual.

Until the next time.

sent from my hippo phone

You are correct, unfortunately. Corruption is the REAL problem in Thailand, and neither side has ever done ANYTHING to combat it. Thailand is starting to lag behind its peers. Thailand need change real fast. PT has done some small positive changes, but not addressed the important issues. The Democrats have never offered anything in terms of positive change. The people of Thailand are stuck in between any good choice of government. Edited by BestBitterPhuket
  • Like 2

agreeing here. well, it would be an already larger accomplishment than the last times (2010 for example), but still a looong way to go to show any maturity...

"If we can get through the current crisis and political confrontation without killings or a coup, that in itself would be an accomplishment and a sign of political maturity."

No....Political maturity would be if elected officials create a dialogue and accept a compromise which benefits a majority of the people. In addition, the electorate also accepts this decision for now, and if not satisfied, offers alternatives and uses fair and honest elections as a vehicle for change.

Not killing and not having a coup does not demonstrate "political maturity". What it does demonstrate is a society which is just a step above total barbarism.

There is no "political maturity" in a country with a feudal system, where one half simply has to accept, what the other hand them gracefully.

Before political maturity, social maturity has to arise and they are a million miles away from that!

Nice to see an intelligent comment on Thai Visa relating to the current political situation.

Thailand is slowly emerging from a feudal society. It is still relatively easy for demagogic political figures to stir up the masses, who allow themselves to be used as political pawns, as that is a characteristic of a feudal society.

What this is all about is power! If power cannot be achieved through the ballot box then perhaps it can be achieved by creating chaos.

The hatred will go with Thaksin. Remove the Shinawats from power and Thailand can move forward.

Only a few weeks ago many journalists were saying the opposition to Thaksin is splintered, the Democrats are severely outnumbered in Parliament, there seemed to be nothing to stop him passing the law to wash away his sins.

So what happened? The straw that broke the camel's back, the amnesty law to pardon all wrongdoers.

This has united all those who are sick of Thailand being abused by one man with a spineless party who follow his every command.

Thaksin and his family don't own Thailand even if they win an election- (the next election I'm not so sure).

The pent up rage at his behaviour spilled over with the bill and there's no stopping it now.

And whilst Suthep must be condemned for his government offices intrusions, I think I understand why. If enough civil servants refuse to work- and many were cheering him yesterday and today, then the government will fall. There's been no real violence yet, the protesters are good humoured and Suthep always stresses the need for non- violence, civil disobedience.

He may have got overexcited, especially with the enormous crowd on Sunday, and he may well feel if enough civil servants join in the government is finished.

He's right about reform, everyone knows Thai politics needs it- perhaps we should thank Thaksin for giving such a perfect example of patronage and nepotism with the amnesty bill, namely his instructions to all his MPs to vote for the bill or they would be replaced in the next election.

It's true dissolving the House will not solve all the problems, many say history will simply repeat itself with Pheua Thai winning by a landslide again, but I don't think so.

They'll be hard pressed to come up with any credible populist policies, Yingluck doesn't look so cute anymore, many red shirts know now Thaksin was prepared to abandon their quest for justice for his own benefit.

And the last month has dispelled the notion Thais are indifferent to corruption, more, including the young, are aware of politics.

It will take time but the wheels of history are turning and before long the reflection of the Shinawats will disappear in our rear view mirrors to our great relief.

• Like 1

The hatred will go with Thaksin. Remove the Shinawats from power and Thailand can move forward.

Only a few weeks ago many journalists were saying the opposition to Thaksin is splintered, the Democrats are severely outnumbered in Parliament, there seemed to be nothing to stop him passing the law to wash away his sins.

So what happened? The straw that broke the camel's back, the amnesty law to pardon all wrongdoers.

This has united all those who are sick of Thailand being abused by one man with a spineless party who follow his every command.

Thaksin and his family don't own Thailand even if they win an election- (the next election I'm not so sure).

The pent up rage at his behaviour spilled over with the bill and there's no stopping it now.

And whilst Suthep must be condemned for his government offices intrusions, I think I understand why. If enough civil servants refuse to work- and many were cheering him yesterday and today, then the government will fall. There's been no real violence yet, the protesters are good humoured and Suthep always stresses the need for non- violence, civil disobedience.

He may have got overexcited, especially with the enormous crowd on Sunday, and he may well feel if enough civil servants join in the government is finished.

He's right about reform, everyone knows Thai politics needs it- perhaps we should thank Thaksin for giving such a perfect example of patronage and nepotism with the amnesty bill, namely his instructions to all his MPs to vote for the bill or they would be replaced in the next election.

It's true dissolving the House will not solve all the problems, many say history will simply repeat itself with Pheua Thai winning by a landslide again, but I don't think so.

They'll be hard pressed to come up with any credible populist policies, Yingluck doesn't look so cute anymore, many red shirts know now Thaksin was prepared to abandon their quest for justice for his own benefit.

And the last month has dispelled the notion Thais are indifferent to corruption, more, including the young, are aware of politics.

It will take time but the wheels of history are turning and before long the reflection of the Shinawats will disappear in our rear view mirrors to our great relief.

Thaksin is toxin, no doubt, but I don't think hatred will go so easily: much as he is now becoming a pariah, he is not alone in the wrong-doing, just the most prominent (at present).

Time is a great healer, and to get over the last (few) years, Thailand will need a lot of time. Dumping the Shins would be a positive step, after all, even the longest journey starts with a single step. Thailand has a long hard journey ahead of it. I wish it well.