BMW revs up for Amata City Plant

bazmlb

bmw_amata.jpg

From left: Heiner Faust, vice-president for sales and marketing, Stephan Schaller, head of BMW Motorrad, and Matthias Pfalz, president of BMW Group Thailand, astride their motorcycles.

The BMW F800R is designated as the first model to be made at BMW’s plant in Amata City Industrial Estate, with production of over 100 units a year, said Peter Guenther Wolf, managing director of BMW Manufacturing Thailand.

Local content will make up 40% of the new assembly line.

“Manufacturing here will help cut retail prices for BMW Motorrad, and that will make it more competitive in the Thai market,” said Mr Wolf.

“BMW needs to generate big-bike sales with an engine size of 650cc and above, while local manufacturing will help reduce customs tariffs now levied at as high as 60% for the segment.”

An imported BMW F800R goes for about 750,000 baht. The exact retail price for the Thai-made bike and the plant’s investment costs are…

Read more from Bangkok Business brief

Rumor finally confirmed, fantastic news for all Thai bikers!

Guess on the price: USA MSRP is 10,840. For Thailand would have to add 10% for large displacement, and 7% VAT on that so I end up with 410,000. Worst case it's US price + 30% like the Ducatis, that would be 450,000 THB.

So I don't think the F800R will be 3xx,xxx baht. It'll be over 400. If they start making cheaper models here we'll see lower though.

Random thought: Maybe BMW will also reduce prices for cars it makes here at some point? They import some models, and make others here, but they're all sold at import prices. Short term grabbing the $$$ is good, long term not so much.

Edited by nikster
  • Like 1

Guess on the price: USA MSRP is 10,840. For Thailand would have to add 10% for large displacement, and 7% VAT on that so I end up with 410,000. Worst case it's US price + 30% like the Ducatis, that would be 450,000 THB.

So I don't think the F800R will be 3xx,xxx baht. It'll be over 400. If they start making cheaper models here we'll see lower though.

Random thought: Maybe BMW will also reduce prices for cars it makes here at some point? They import some models, and make others here, but they're all sold at import prices. Short term grabbing the $$$ is good, long term not so much.

f800r is also not a bike i fancy still it is good to see BMW here as i am sure the rest will follow with good models:)

And bmw cars are getting some incentives due to the assembly here all i know.

Hope BMW come here with other bikes also apart from f800r.

They're not grabbing some $$$.

Simply, not playing on a level playing field!

100 units a year? Typo surely? Well chosen model for Thailand though, reviews are good:

http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/motorcycle-reviews/bmw/2013-bmw-f800r-ar139969.html

The more choice the better. Really want a shaft drive on my next bike though, not many of them around at a realistic price.

Well it says "over" 100 units a year , so it could mean anything . But I agree if it is only 100 or so , that's not a lot of bikes . I think if the price point is around 400 000 baht , they could get that many orders in a week or so . Just a guess on my part , as a comparison does anyone know how many Kawasaki er6n they sell here in a year ?

If the ER6N sells for 270 000 baht , you would think they could sell a lot of BMW F800R at 400 000 baht ?

It's an odd looking bike for surerolleyes.gif

I wonder if they will open BMW dealer ships around the country as Ducati and Big Wing have done?

Not much point of having one if you have to go to Bangkok for each service.

Yes, they are. The Udon one is being built at the moment.

Even though the bike is butt ugly, it's still good news.

The more the merrier!

Yeah the headlights do make it look like the HillBilly of motorbikes, but let's not get ahead of ourselves, any local BMW involvement can only be a good thing and they're not gonna start with the HP4 :)

price will be about 499k s only 40% of content is local , the production line is along side CKD kit lines for MINI cars a nd BMW 3 series cars

engine will come from BMW/ Rotax production line in china same as EU , assembly production initially about 1000 bikes a year with other models following , all in all a positive step.

now will Triumph reduce price on Thai made models ?????

• Like 1

price will be about 499k s only 40% of content is local , the production line is along side CKD kit lines for MINI cars a nd BMW 3 series cars

engine will come from BMW/ Rotax production line in china same as EU , assembly production initially about 1000 bikes a year with other models following , all in all a positive step.

now will Triumph reduce price on Thai made models ?????

Is that a confirmed price? Seems a bit steep? Just a guess but usually imported parts are taxed at 30%.

The plan seems to be to start with the unpopular model :P

BMW setting up Asia big-bike production

bmw_big_bikes_thailand.jpg

BMW has chosen Thailand as its first production base for motorcycles in Asia.

Stephan Schaller, head of BMW Motorrad, the German company's motorcycle unit, said deliveries of the locally assembled F800 R, its mid-sized model, in the Thai market would start through its dealership network next quarter.

BMW's Rayong facility will be the only one in the world that makes all three of the company's vehicle brands - BMW and Mini cars and BMW Motorrad motorcycles.

BMW had produced motorcycles only in Berlin for a long time until three years ago when it started production in Brazil. Thailand has become the third site.

BMW has seen a sharp rise in demand for big bikes especially in Asia and is now about to set up motorcycle production in more countries.

In the medium term, BMW will explore options to expand the Rayong plant to include more motorbike models for other Asian markets.

"The first priority is to increase sales in the country. There is an opportunity that we can extend to exports and make use of the free-trade agreement. But there is no concrete plan at present," Schaller said.

BMW has seen its motorcycle sales racing ahead at a double-digit clip in Thailand. It sold 320 units during the first nine months of this year, beating its own target, though still chasing Honda, Ducati and Kawasaki in the local market. The market for big bikes in Thailand is expected to reach 5,000 units this year.

Last year, BMW sold 100,600 motorcycles worldwide, of which 16-17 per cent were in Asia. Its sales climbed 8 per cent to 101,000 units worldwide during the first 10 months of this year.

Policy stability is a major concern of foreign investors and the "political development in Thailand is not very good", Schaller said.

The "surprise" excise-tax increase on big bikes announced by the government last December was also a source of concern for investors.

"Stability [of government policy], as an investor, for us, it is very important. As you've seen, surprisingly, the tax increase in one night this is a concern," he said.

Schaller, in a special interview with a group of reporters in Bangkok, acknowledged that the excise-tax increase was the main reason BMW decided to start local assembly of its motorcycles in the country.

The government has raised the excise tax on motorcycles from 3-5 per cent to 10 per cent for models with 500cc-1,000cc engines and 20 per cent for those over 1,000cc. The excise tax is levied on top of import duties.

Heiner Faust, Motorrad's vice president for sales and marketing, said the investment was not high since it could utilise its existing Rayong factory that assembles BMW and Mini cars to install the motorcycle assembly line.

Among the big-bike makers, Honda, Ducati and Kawasaki already have factories in Thailand. Triumph also has a plant in Chon Buri but it exports all of the output.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-11-28

Price for a BMW 1200GS (my configuration) is about 800k in Holland; some configuration will cost in Thailand is 1.3M...

Please make the price difference go the other way, so I can buy 'my' BMW in Thailand for 300k-400k!!!

That would be absolutely awesome, but I am afraid it is just wishful dreaming smile.png

Ah yes, now let me see.....this funny looking round thing, where can I fit that ?

and.......all these wires, what do I do with these? Surely the bike can work without some of them, I'll just take a few home with me,

Assemble Breaks! ah these foreigners, one day they'll learn that you just need to stop using your feet, no need for all this fancy German stuff.

Ah yes, now let me see.....this funny looking round thing, where can I fit that ?

and.......all these wires, what do I do with these? Surely the bike can work without some of them, I'll just take a few home with me,

Assemble Breaks! ah these foreigners, one day they'll learn that you just need to stop using your feet, no need for all this fancy German stuff.

It's an odd looking bike for surerolleyes.gif

I wonder if they will open BMW dealer ships around the country as Ducati and Big Wing have done?

Not much point of having one if you have to go to Bangkok for each service.

Not if the dealers service the bikes ... and dealers usually do.

actually it does not look that bad.

kind of badass feeling of a naked and like those asymmetrical headlights too. It looks like a BMW for sure, no one will be mistaken your bike with something else!

it looks a little cumbersome but that is how most BMW looks.

weldone BMW on coming to Thailand again and again but we want s1000rr not the cheapest bike in your arsenal man!

post-184955-0-01386100-1385700330_thumb.

post-184955-0-01528800-1385700341_thumb.

post-184955-0-86350000-1385700494_thumb.

post-184955-0-32294400-1385700503_thumb.

Now if they would only start manufacturing BMW cars in Thailand, maybe I could buy a 750LI without paying 250% more than same car in USA.

aehm looks like you missed something?

http://translate.google.co.th/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_Manufacturing_%28Thailand%29&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dbmw%2Bthailand%2Bwiki%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3DkFc%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:de:official

but you still have to pay more tongue.png

There isn't much wrong with the bikes. OK, they are priced on the high side, but if Australian ownership is the judge, the cost of servicing and parts for the owner will weigh down the pleasure of ownership. Like, in Oz I've been told a basic service can run $280 (8000 +/- baht). We talking an oil change, oil filter, grease on a few pieces and adjust a few things. And the major service can run $1200+

Then, where do you go to get the service? BMW owners I have spoken to here say the dealership service is Sh1t!

Don't forget the 30% excise tax levied on all vehicles, imported or not. That was what was being rebated in the First Time Car Buyer's scheme.