20+ Years and things I still don't understand!

laolover88

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have learned now to shut off my thoughts on stuff......................laugh.png

Oh, just thought of one that I am baffled with. A kid fails an exam but then it is all fixed on a Saturday morning for a fee. blink.png

Or, the son of a Prime Minister (no name needed) get caught cheating on a university exam.

Expelled for a few months, then allowed to take THE SAME exam over again.

Most of the listed stuff is more or less just some oddities any country have.

• Like 1

Why are the electric switches upside down?

Doh! facepalm.gif So thats it takes me 3 clicks to turn lights on or off.

1st click to toggle

2nd click because that setting doesnt feel right

3rd click because i'm now awake and pissed off a the stupid light switch (couldn't be the operator's fault!rolleyes.gif )

Why do policemen wear clothes that are too tight? they were loose when they bought them at the academy

Why do policemen wear white T Shirts? so you know they're policeman when they are off duty

What is it about uniforms? My daughters have different ones for every day! Let alone government officials helps them feel like sheep

Why are the electric switches upside down? they're not - American ones are upside down

Why does the electric current fluctuate wildly? it comes in waves - didn't you do physics

Why do most hotels not have 3 pin plugs? because they use two pin (no earth)

Thais tell me, and I agree, they don't understand why Lotus does not stock large enough clothes didn't expect Americans to shop there

Why do Thais like unripe fruit? as with Farang (like what I did there?)

Why Thai/International companies don't spell check their adverts they do - by the person who wrote them

Why are Thai ATMs back to front? walk around the otherside

Why does life come to a halt at 12.00 on the dot so everyone can go and eat? it's lunchtime duh!

Why in some Jangwats do the dogs have vaccination labels and not in others? the others don't have vets

Why is 100B 1 loy not 1 roy it's actually roi neung or loi neung

Why are secondhand cars (and new cars) so expensive here? compared to where?

Why does Thailand drive on the left? Is it because the first cars came from Japan? But then why does Japan drive on the left? not because of Japan because it is the correct side of the road to drive on

Why are traffic lights in all Jangwats not the same? different contractors

Why is most Thai acting 'ham acting'? is it? looks the same as most of my Thai employees

Simples.

The OP was being light-hearted, but why should Thais be expected to explain why things are the way they are compared to places they've probably never been or seen? Also the education system discourages questioning and thinking for oneself anyway.

Would you ask Americans why they speak with strange accents?

Forget the "Why's". Just accept that this is the way things are and move on!

If nobody asked the question 'Why', things would never improve. It sounds just like what a 'traditional' Thai would say. You don't ask questions. Be a sheep.

Well, that's is dangerous.

Most of the OP's questions have simple answers, some are a bit rhetorical:

Why do policemen wear clothes that are too tight? That is what they prefer

Why do policemen wear white T Shirts? What color would you have them wear?

What is it about uniforms? My daughters have different ones for every day! Let alone government officials Many schools in many countries have uniforms

Why are the electric switches upside down? compared to what?

Why does the electric current fluctuate wildly? poor generation and transmission facilities...and Thailand is much better than some countries I have worked in

Why do most hotels not have 3 pin plugs? because they use two pin (no earth)

Thais tell me, and I agree, they don't understand why Lotus does not stock large enough clothes The clothing is sized for the native population

Why do Thais like unripe fruit? I have not noticed that they do, any more than anyplace else

Why Thai/International companies don't spell check their adverts Who knows...laziness?

Why are Thai ATMs back to front? compared to what?

Why does life come to a halt at 12.00 on the dot so everyone can go and eat? That is not unique to Thailand

Why in some Jangwats do the dogs have vaccination labels and not in others? Some are vaccinated, some are not

Why is 100B 1 loy not 1 roy nueng roi or nueng loy

Why are secondhand cars (and new cars) so expensive here? New cars are not particularly expensive. Used cars? Thais seem to think you can spend 700,000 baht for a new car, drive it 10 years with little maintenance, and it is still worth 600,000

Why does Thailand drive on the left? Is it because the first cars came from Japan? But then why does Japan drive on the left? Who cares? One side is no better or worse than the other

Why are traffic lights in all Jangwats not the same? different contractors, different suppliers, lights were installed at different times

Why is most Thai acting 'ham acting'? is it? It is certainly exaggerated...That is what Thais like I guess

My guess is the OP considers "Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways" to be a profound question worthy of deep philosophical consideration.