reclaiming tax on bank interest

Hi, I read some time ago an article regarding reclaiming the tax charged on bank interest here in Thailand.

I cannot seem to locate it on the forum. Can anyone enlighten what is the necessary to revcover the tax paid on a Thai bank savings account.

Also is there still a limit as to how much you can transfer to Thailand, I believe the limit used to be around 20.000 Sterling unless you had prove of some purchase, ie: house, car etc,.

Cheers

I do it every year at Banglamung ,no problem ,but what makes me laugh is last year when i banked the govt cheque it took 2 days to clear ,when my wife asked why ,she was told "just to make sure it doesnt bounce" or words to that effectcheesy.gif

• Like 1

Here's a thread I started in Jan 13 about my personal experience in getting a refund on tax withheld on interest. Easy process at your local revenue office.. You can claim 3 years back.

No limit by Thailand on how much money you can transfer in. There is a requirement for bank's to ask the reason and issue a Foreign Exchange Transfer form for incoming amounts over 50K USD...some banks do it at 20K USD...getting the form is a good thing as it makes it easier to expatriate the funds. If the bank don't issue you one, but sure to go ask for one so it will ease the process of expatriating the funds. Thailand Land of Smiles for Incoming Money, but can be the Land of Frowns for Outgoing money unless you have the proper documents. Now your home country laws/home country bank may have some limit on how much money can flow out of your home country...I can't speak to that.

• Like 1

Here's a thread I started in Jan 13 about my personal experience in getting a refund on tax withheld on interest. Easy process at your local revenue office.. You can claim 3 years back.

No limit by Thailand on how much money you can transfer in. There is a requirement for bank's to ask the reason and issue a Foreign Exchange Transfer form for incoming amounts over 50K USD...some banks do it at 20K USD...getting the form is a good thing as it makes it easier to expatriate the funds. If the bank don't issue you one, but sure to go ask for one so it will ease the process of expatriating the funds. Thailand Land of Smiles for Incoming Money, but can be the Land of Frowns for Outgoing money unless you have the proper documents. Now your home country laws/home country bank may have some limit on how much money can flow out of your home country...I can't speak to that.

Quite a few western country's now require you to fill forms in to send money out due to new money laundering rules.

Do you have to file for tax reclaim in Jan-Mar or is that to avoid a fee outside of the regular tax filing regime?

On another thread (see below) a copy of a Yellow Tabian was provided - is proof of address standard and are rental agreements sufficient? (Non Imm O, 12m Ext)

Also, can you claim at your nearest tax office at the time of making the claim - I will have two accounts maturing at the same bank branch but the second is after I will have moved province.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/610294-obtaining-refund-of-tax-withheld-on-thai-bank-fixed-savings-account/#entry5999041

thanks.

Edited by elliottm

• 3 weeks later...