Pray tell me why Thai Baht is moving south ?

thairookie

This article might be of interest to you :

"Thailand unexpectedly cut its key interest rate for a second time this year, as escalating anti-government protests threaten investor confidence and local demand, hurting the nation’s growth outlook. The baht fell "

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-11-27/thailand-unexpectedly-cuts-rate-as-protests-crimp-growth-outlook.html

Official Statement;

The global economy continued to recover, led by expansion in the major economies,
particularly theUS.High uncertainty in the outlook formonetary and fiscal policiesin theUS
continuesto weigh on global financial marketstability. The Chinese economy expanded well
across allsectors, while the regional economies continued to grow gradually. Exports of the
North Asian economiesrecovered in tandem with the major and Chinese economies, and at
amore robust pace than those of ASEANpeers.
Growth of the Thai economy in the third quarter of 2013 was weakerthan expected
from both private and public spending. Recovery in exports has not gained traction. Looking
ahead, there are higher downside risks to growth stemming from delay in government
investment and fragile private confidence, which could be compounded by ongoing political
situation. In addition, exports might not benefit fully from prospective global economic
recovery. Inflationary pressure remains subdued, while private credits decelerated in line
with the economy.
The committee judges that the Thai economy is expanding at a lower pace than
previously assessed, with greater downside risks compared with the last meeting. Given
benign inflation outlook and moderating household credit growth, there is room for
monetary policy to mitigate downside risks to the economy. The MPC thus voted 6 to 1 to
reduce the policy rate by 0.25 percent, from 2.50 to 2.25 percent per annum, with
immediate effect. One member deemed current monetary policy stance to be sufficiently
accommodative, and therefore voted tomaintain the policy rate at 2.50 percent per annum.

The Thai economy has always been a bit murky, particularly around rice pledging and mega-infrastructure projects. It maybe that some lenders are getting nervous, but I think it's more likely that some of the money market vultures are using the unrest to create an opportunity for some short term gains. They don't make money out of a stable currency - which the baht has been to date.

Of course it is the reason.

Leave money in a banana republic government when the peasants are getting restless?

Geez, I hope you're not giving out financial advice because you have no idea what you're talking about. The baht has been weakening for months and it has nothing to do with the current protest.

• Like 2

Leave money in a banana republic government when the peasants are getting restless?

Geez, I hope you're not giving out financial advice because you have no idea what you're talking about. The baht has been weakening for months and it has nothing to do with the current protest.

Around 18% against the GBP since early June. Edited by notmyself

"Of course it is the reason"

Normally Political unrest would be a sure reason,for a currency collapse,however, passed events when a collapse would be inevetible,in most countries, Thailand has in the past come through unblemished, Just consider the Coup,and 2010,unless someone can prove me wrong with graphs I didn't see much movement or any collapse of the Baht from those two eras,

Thailand has led a charmed financial life since the 1997 Crash.

Its only speculation,but just maybe,their Finances are in a worst state than anyone has declared.

• Like 1

It's not just the protests. It's also the government's dodgy economic policies. The rice pledging scheme is a disaster - something that the outside world is increasingly catching on to. (Consider the recent IMF report's calling for Thailand to abandon the scheme - and also the Thai government's out of hand rejection of its recommendations.)

If they did ,the rice farmers would be down there protesting as well.

watching the sterling baht rate daily - I wd think if there is no major situation before the King's birthday the baht will rebound midweek, but as most Thai's are saying the protests will get even bigger afterwards, it will probably slide against Sterling again

How this affects the property market is of interest to me

There is no fundamental or compelling reason for a rebound in the Baht. There could be a one-off bounce in the event the prtests end, one way or another. However, given the way the SET rebounded when it looked likely that the govt would survive, it looks to me that the markets favour no change in govt . The decision to lower interest rates, the likelihood of more international money leaving Thailand, pressure on tourism, bubble in property, weakish exports....to me these point to a flat or weaker baht . While this is not yet a 1997 situation, why would the Baht appreciate? More on the downside, IMHO

watching the sterling baht rate daily - I wd think if there is no major situation before the King's birthday the baht will rebound midweek, but as most Thai's are saying the protests will get even bigger afterwards, it will probably slide against Sterling again

How this affects the property market is of interest to me

• Like 1