A.B.S.

Ace of Pop

Most drivers (world wide) have probably never actually used their ABS to even know what it feels like or what can be done with it.  But then the same applies to drivers of non-ABS vehicles as well. 

If you want to see how it feels to brake heavily and familiarise yourself with the experience so you can use it in a real emergency situation, find a good safe quiet bit of tarmac and try braking with varying amounts of pressure from 130-200+klm/h.  It's only if you've had this experience that you can use it in a real situation with good effect.

I was in a car once as a passenger and the driver (experienced and safe) hit the brakes in the wet.  We were only doing 30klm/h but the brakes pulsed and he felt the surging/let go feeling in the braking effect.  He thought the brakes had failed or something, got totally confused because he'd never felt it before.......lets off the brake, and yes, we did roll nicely into the BMW in front of us at probably 15klm/h.  It was a sad, slow, sickening feeling to rear end somebody at that speed.  I had time to read a novel while the driver was looking at his "broken" foot brake as we rolled slowly into the beamer.facepalm.gif

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

O.K. Identical Trucks,same Geometry and Tires /Compound on a Dry Road , straight line from 125 to 0.. Whos the Winner.?. Il go for the non ABS........... Flat Spots expected, and rear tires adding very little to help the situation.biggrin.png

See the first post, depends on the driver. A real expert will win non-ABS, everybody else will will stop faster with ABS.

I know I will stop faster with ABS.

• Like 2

Most drivers (world wide) have probably never actually used their ABS to even know what it feels like or what can be done with it.  But then the same applies to drivers of non-ABS vehicles as well. 

If you want to see how it feels to brake heavily and familiarise yourself with the experience so you can use it in a real emergency situation, find a good safe quiet bit of tarmac and try braking with varying amounts of pressure from 130-200+klm/h.  It's only if you've had this experience that you can use it in a real situation with good effect.

I was in a car once as a passenger and the driver (experienced and safe) hit the brakes in the wet.  We were only doing 30klm/h but the brakes pulsed and he felt the surging/let go feeling in the braking effect.  He thought the brakes had failed or something, got totally confused because he'd never felt it before.......lets off the brake, and yes, we did roll nicely into the BMW in front of us at probably 15klm/h.  It was a sad, slow, sickening feeling to rear end somebody at that speed.  I had time to read a novel while the driver was looking at his "broken" foot brake as we rolled slowly into the beamer.facepalm.gif

Yep, and for those who don't know, if you have a hard braking situation and/or a wheel locks up, the ABS will release pressure to THAT wheel so it won't skid. The feeling in the pedal will feel like a pulse, DO NOT take the pressure off if this happens, the ABS system is working.

The ABS in my Ranger might as well not even be fitted as it is very easy to lock all 4 wheels no matter the road surface.

The ABS in my Ranger might as well not even be fitted as it is very easy to lock all 4 wheels no matter the road surface.

Perhaps oversized non stock wheel/tyre combo...............whistling.gif

• Like 2

Perhaps oversized non stock wheel/tyre combo...............whistling.gif

Yeah thats most likely the culprit.

^^^

^^

^

Surely the wheel size should have nothing to do with it? If the wheel approaches a lock up the system should modulate the brake pressure, This will be regardless of wheel size , etc as it is based on wheel speed.

In the case of the Ranger above maybe it is not switched on or the fuse has blown or maybe worse scenario it doesn't actually have ABS.

Another thing that occurred to me. Is it possible that the inclusion of ABS/ESC makes it possible for the manufacturer to mask inadequacies in the chassis design/construction that before would have needed to be fixed by expensive testing, research and redesign.

Edited by VocalNeal

They have been pretty locked up for the last 6 months.

• Like 1

Everything in the design of any modern vehicle is ''dialed'' in, so to be safe and the combination of stuff works together. That includes tyre wall depth, manufactures advised tyre pressures and suspension design combination for a comfortable ride, braking characteristics and acceptable mechanical stress.

^^^

^^

^

Surely the wheel size should have nothing to do with it? If the wheel approaches a lock up the system should modulate the brake pressure, This will be regardless of wheel size , etc as it is based on wheel speed.

In the case of the Ranger above maybe it is not switched on or the fuse has blown or maybe worse scenario it doesn't actually have ABS.

Another thing that occurred to me. Is it possible that the inclusion of ABS/ESC makes it possible for the manufacturer to mask inadequacies in the chassis design/construction that before would have needed to be fixed by expensive testing, research and redesign.

ABS works perfectly fine with the OE 17" wheels and tyres, with the 22" wheels and tyres the ABS does not function correctly. it is something to do with the  leverage of the larger heavier rotating mass, or so Iam told.... same deal with my old Colorado with bigger rolling diameter wheels and tyres fitted.

I prefer that it does not function at all and infact now that you mention it I might pull the fuse.

They have been pretty locked up for the last 6 months.

Not entirely true, it has done a few trips to Bangkok and back !!!!

Edited by Spoonman

My thought too. thumbsup.gif

Me think's everyone is missing the point here or Ace is on another wind up, ABS was invented for ordinary road driver as a safety feature as long as they are instructed correctly in a ABS model then yes the ABS will pull up quicker than if they were in a non-ABS model. comprende. biggrin.png  

• Like 1

Me think's everyone is missing the point here or Ace is on another wind up, ABS was invented for ordinary road driver as a safety feature as long as they are instructed correctly in a ABS model then yes the ABS will pull up quicker than if they were in a non-ABS model. comprende. biggrin.png  

Kwakers , a year after it came available here, the Ministry for Silly Things put signs up saying beware of ABS, its not a Licence to Drive Faster.!!  As with most Gadgets here, Thais believed all the Handling Bollocks as well, and their Trucks fall over just the same, but at   a higher speed..My ABS  never gets used, i try to avoid confrontation, except for here.biggrin.png thumbsup.gif

Interesting, I find the ABS on my stock 2005 Ranger rather too enthusiastic, I get it active at least once every other day sad.png

Even the best drivers in the world can easily lock their brakes under extreme braking, you just need to watch any F1 race to see that.

As tom21 says, once you've 'locked up' you lose steering ability, you also lose lots of stopping power depending on the surface.

Without ABS 'cadence braking' is the only way out of this.

ABS in most cases will improve heavy braking ability unless you're name is Vettel or Alonso

No, brake feel is and proper threshold braking, also tire compound, tread pattern and many other factors have a lot to do with it as well as chassis stiffness, suspension stiffness etc., not so simplistic.

Actually Yes and No.

I'm not saying they are not factors but I'm assuming tyre compound, tread pattern, pressures suspension & chassis stiffness etc,etc would be the same for an ABS and non-ABS example.

I'd also agree that with a concentrated, skilled driver he'd probably have the advantage over the best setup ABS configuration. That's why compeition drivers mostly disable ABS on cars equipped with it when racing.

However, the average somchai in his pickup has never heard of 'threshold braking' and would have little concept of what it means or how to avoid locking his brakes.

So in most situations for most drivers, ABS will improve extreme braking (and car control), otherwise why would it be an option ?

I think I'm a pretty decent driver but I know ABS has saved me a few times especially on damp/wet/slippery surfaces. I've also noted sometimes ABS kicks in prematurely so it needs to be setup correctly.

The OP subsequenty posed the question if he 'stood on the brakes' which is better ? In that case ABS no question.

Unless you're braking in dry conditions, which if I'm not mistaken was the original question.

It has been proven many times that when braking heavily in dry conditions ABS increases the stopping distance. No matter how expensive the car.

Jerry

• Like 1

Even the best drivers in the world can easily lock their brakes under extreme braking, you just need to watch any F1 race to see that.

As tom21 says, once you've 'locked up' you lose steering ability, you also lose lots of stopping power depending on the surface.

Without ABS 'cadence braking' is the only way out of this.

ABS in most cases will improve heavy braking ability unless you're name is Vettel or Alonso

No, brake feel is and proper threshold braking, also tire compound, tread pattern and many other factors have a lot to do with it as well as chassis stiffness, suspension stiffness etc., not so simplistic.

Actually Yes and No.

I'm not saying they are not factors but I'm assuming tyre compound, tread pattern, pressures suspension & chassis stiffness etc,etc would be the same for an ABS and non-ABS example.

I'd also agree that with a concentrated, skilled driver he'd probably have the advantage over the best setup ABS configuration. That's why compeition drivers mostly disable ABS on cars equipped with it when racing.

However, the average somchai in his pickup has never heard of 'threshold braking' and would have little concept of what it means or how to avoid locking his brakes.

So in most situations for most drivers, ABS will improve extreme braking (and car control), otherwise why would it be an option ?

I think I'm a pretty decent driver but I know ABS has saved me a few times especially on damp/wet/slippery surfaces. I've also noted sometimes ABS kicks in prematurely so it needs to be setup correctly.

The OP subsequenty posed the question if he 'stood on the brakes' which is better ? In that case ABS no question.

Unless you're braking in dry conditions, which if I'm not mistaken was the original question.

It has been proven many times that when braking heavily in dry conditions ABS increases the stopping distance. No matter how expensive the car.

Jerry

Proven many times where that then utube. laugh.png

Kwakers , a year after it came available here, the Ministry for Silly Things put signs up saying beware of ABS, its not a Licence to Drive Faster.!!  As with most Gadgets here, Thais believed all the Handling Bollocks as well, and their Trucks fall over just the same, but at   a higher speed..My ABS  never gets used, i try to avoid confrontation, except for here.biggrin.png thumbsup.gif

Your still missing the point the ordinary driver in the wet or dry will stop quicker than in a non-ABS motor I never said anything about it becoming available in Thailand I just said some who is instructed to use it.

If the wheels skid they are not stopping as quick as a not skid wheel, simple as that.rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Actually Yes and No.

Right

Thanks Warpy, you've no idea what an endorsement from the Stig means to me............you are the new Stig right ?

Ermm I taught the Stig heh.. But anyways I didn't think it was permitted to alter quotes on here?

O.K. Identical Trucks,same Geometry and Tires /Compound on a Dry Road , straight line from 125 to 0.. Whos the Winner.?. Il go for the non ABS........... Flat Spots expected, and rear tires adding very little to help the situation.biggrin.png

See the first post, depends on the driver. A real expert will win non-ABS, everybody else will will stop faster with ABS.

I know I will stop faster with ABS.

Agreed..

^^^

^^

^

"Wheel speed" is determined by what besides engine RPM's and gearing? Grip levels also change with tire width..

As for the rest, his ABS is overworking, not failing to work so not a power interruption.

Chassis question is speculative at best, I can't see how ABS may compensate much for a terrible chassis honestly as it has to perform most of the time without even using the ABS so shortcomings will still show up in daily driving. Besides there's always Top Gear to point it out.. tongue.png laugh.png

Edited by WarpSpeed

Actually Yes and No.

Jerry

Proven many times where that then utube. laugh.png

No. It's a fundamental of the coefficient of friction.

If the brakes release on a dry road then braking distance is increased. Might save flat spots on the circumference of the tires, but not your front fenders.

If you have information to the contrary I will be happy to discuss.

Jerry

• Like 1

Your still missing the point the ordinary driver in the wet or dry will stop quicker than in a non-ABS motor I never said anything about it becoming available in Thailand I just said some who is instructed to use it.

If the wheels skid they are not stopping as quick as a not skid wheel, simple as that.rolleyes.gif

Forced to agree, we're speaking on parallel tracks here.. The driver issue was left out of the OP so the discussion has taken up 2 different directions there is a lot of accurate posts here but they contradict each other due to the driver experience equation being left out and that is always going to be an unpredictable factor in general overall for obvious reasons..

Not so in wet conditions though Kwasaki, for a short period I raced my Integra TypeR with ABS as it was legal to do so and it was unmatched in braking in the wet, also ran  a 190 Merc too, it was a tank but stopped on a dime, especially in the rain, stock classes and brakes for those who think it may not apply. I could do some amazing overtakes and saves like I've never been able to do on my own.. This also has a caveat however as not all ABS systems are equal by any means which is another monkey wrench thrown into the discussion..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Forced to agree, we're speaking on parallel tracks here.. The driver issue was left out of the OP so the discussion has taken up 2 different directions there is a lot of accurate posts here but they contradict each other due to the driver experience equation being left out and that is always going to be an unpredictable factor in general overall for obvious reasons..

Not so in wet conditions though Kwasaki, for a short period I raced my Integra TypeR with ABS as it was legal to do so and it was unmatched in braking in the wet, also ran  a 190 Merc too, it was a tank but stopped on a dime, especially in the rain, stock classes and brakes for those who think it may not apply. I could do some amazing overtakes and saves like I've never been able to do on my own.. This also has a caveat however as not all ABS systems are equal by any means which is another monkey wrench thrown into the discussion..

Have to agree. ABS is useful as a driver aid which really is a substitute for driver experience. It's nice to have it in wet conditions when you need to stop unexpectedly and quickly.

It's also useful in dry conditions if you want to steer around an obstacle  while at the same time needing to stop quickly. In a straight line however it increases the stopping distance.

I very much doubt that any experienced driver can 'cadence  brake' at the same rate as an automated system. Nor would they have control over individual wheel lock, which is a feature of modern (maybe more expensive car) systems. I would even go so far as to say that any-one who claims they did was suffering from DT's at the time.

What automated systems don't give you is an anticipation of what is about to occur and situational awareness that an experienced driver would have. Few fall within this category so ABS can be a godsend to most of us who should learn about it's restrictions to improve our safety options when driving.

Jerry

• Like 1

Well, where ABS gave me a distinct advantage in a wet race was overtaking in corners where I could out-brake while turning in and this advantage coupled with ABS system inequality was the reason it was banned.. Where I recovered much of that advantage, when it was banned, was my ability to left foot brake, down shift and right foot brake and up shift while using the throttle all at the same time which eliminated lock up on corner entry and wheel spin on exit. Yes it takes quite a bit of coordination to do this and perfect timing, it's heel and toe combined with left foot braking..

Edited by WarpSpeed
  • Like 1

Ermm I taught the Stig heh.. But anyways I didn't think it was permitted to alter quotes on here?

I never doubted that,  I thought I was taking the salient point. If you disagree with my post fair enough.

You're only supposed to post with one ID right ?

Eh? I don't have the first clue of your post meaning? Rather cryptic and convoluted.

salient
ˈseɪlɪənt/
adjective
adjective: salient
most noticeable or important.
"it succinctly covered all the salient points of the case"
synonyms: important, main, principal, major, chief, primary, notable, noteworthy, outstanding, arresting, conspicuous, striking, noticeable, obvious, remarkable, signal, prominent, pronounced, predominant, dominant, key, crucial, vital, essential, basic, staple, critical, pivotal, prime, central, focal, paramount More

Edited by b19bry

Well, where ABS gave me a distinct advantage in a wet race was overtaking in corners where I could out-brake while turning in and this advantage coupled with ABS system inequality was the reason it was banned.. Where I recovered much of that advantage, when it was banned, was my ability to left foot brake, down shift and right foot brake and up shift while using the throttle all at the same time which eliminated lock up on corner entry and wheel spin on exit. Yes it takes quite a bit of coordination to do this and perfect timing, it's heel and toe combined with left foot braking..

Yawn coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gifcoffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gifcoffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif

Yawn coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gifcoffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gifcoffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif

I guess it's over your head too?? Sorry, this is the motor forum so it stands to reason you should understand a bit about motors before posting here, go somewhere else and be bored if this doesn't suit you.

Edited by WarpSpeed

Eh? I don't have the first clue of your post meaning? Rather cryptic and convoluted.

salient
ˈseɪlɪənt/
adjective
adjective: salient
most noticeable or important.
"it succinctly covered all the salient points of the case"
synonyms: important, main, principal, major, chief, primary, notable, noteworthy, outstanding, arresting, conspicuous, striking, noticeable, obvious, remarkable, signal, prominent, pronounced, predominant, dominant, key, crucial, vital, essential, basic, staple, critical, pivotal, prime, central, focal, paramount More

Do we need posters like you in here? I don't think so, why don't you get lost if you've nothing to do but post senseless trolling remarks, it's been quite nice here the last several months so be on your way if you wish to post nonsensical posts with no useful purpose but taking pokes at people to insight a shite fight.

FYI though you tried to cleverly avoid it this is the primary confusion but clearly not the only one in your cryptic post.

You're only supposed to post with one ID right ?

Who is that has another ID and posts with it?

Edited by WarpSpeed