Vientiane - Confused.com

Hi all,

If I may engage some help.

I am planning to go to Vientiane in a week or so to gain a new visa.

I note there are many ways to get there, and am looking at Nok Air and Air Asia etc.

Option 1 - Nok Air have a caveat suggesting a flight and shuttle service direct to Vientiane, however, I am unsure if they stop at the border to allow me to complete a Laos visa application, or do you need a Laos visa before you board the flight at DMK. Has anyone used this service? is that the case?

Option 2 - Fly Air Asia to Udon. Do It Myself - I have worked out that there are bus services from Udon Thani to Nong Khai etc. Again, will they drop you at the border, thus allowing you time to complete the Laos Visa? Has anyone done this? I take it, you get to the border, take a ride across the bridge, gain Laos Visa then get yourself to Vientiane. Any help is appreciated.

Any bus timings would be useful. I am in no rush and would like to spend a few days mulling in Laos, Mekong River etc.

Apologies in advance, there are some confusing posts and some are not that detailed.

Best you get the visa before you leave.

Lao Central Airlines fly direct.

lao-central-airlines.jpg

Air Asia fly to Khon Kaen and Udon. Then you get the Laos/Thai shuttle bus which drops you via the border at the bus station in Vientiane. Allow about 30-40 minutes for the border crossing. Your luggage stays on the bus which waits to take you over the bridge.

thai-lao-bus.JPG

You don't say what visa you need. Retirement? Multi entry non immigrant O?

You can get the visa for Laos at the border but it's not worth the hassle. It will delay you especially if it is busy.

If you are going to Vientiane best you spend a couple of nights and enjoy the city.

Nok Air's bus/van will wait for you.

There is a van service from the airport in Udon Thani to the bridge. Then you can take shuttle bus across bridge. Then TukTuk into Vientiane.

As far as I know the buses that offer direct services to Vientiane will not allow you on the bus unless you already have a Lao visa.

The last time I went, there was two international buses. The one I took was about an hr behind the first. The second will wait for you at the border and the driver helped get the people through as fast as he could. My understanding is that the first will not wait. It is used by sellers that have some form of paperwork and go through an express line.. This was maybe 6 months ago and I got on in Nong Khai.

There is a van service from the airport in Udon Thani to the bridge. Then you can take shuttle bus across bridge. Then TukTuk into Vientiane.

As far as I know the buses that offer direct services to Vientiane will not allow you on the bus unless you already have a Lao visa.

Thanks again Joe, always good advice.

So I assume, a DIY bus job all the way is the option, avoiding a direct service or use Nok Air. I will call and ask Nok Air today to confirm the wait etc.

I am in no rush so can spend time wherever. This will make it easier.

Any ideas of opening times Thai and Laos immigrations offices either side?

Am applying for Non B Ed Visa, have all the paperwork, any top tips? I have read conflicts again, i.e two copies of all paperwork etc.

Thanks again.

Best you get the visa before you leave.

Lao Central Airlines fly direct.

Air Asia fly to Khon Kaen and Udon. Then you get the Laos/Thai shuttle bus which drops you via the border at the bus station in Vientiane. Allow about 30-40 minutes for the border crossing. Your luggage stays on the bus which waits to take you over the bridge.

You don't say what visa you need. Retirement? Multi entry non immigrant O?

You can get the visa for Laos at the border but it's not worth the hassle. It will delay you especially if it is busy.

If you are going to Vientiane best you spend a couple of nights and enjoy the city.

Thanks for info.

Going for Ed Visa.

Prices are really good with the airline you showed, may consider this one way in and take the bus route back. I like to see something new.

I am planning a few days in Laos also, a good break and new adventure.

Edit: Deleted images. No need to repeat them. Ubonjoe

Thanks again Joe, always good advice.

So I assume, a DIY bus job all the way is the option, avoiding a direct service or use Nok Air.  I will call and ask Nok Air today to confirm the wait etc.

I am in no rush so can spend time wherever.  This will make it easier.

Any ideas of opening times Thai and Laos immigrations offices either side?

Am applying for Non B Ed Visa, have all the paperwork, any top tips?  I have read conflicts again, i.e two copies of all paperwork etc.

Thanks again.

Bridge is open 0600 to 22:00.

I suggest you travel to Vientiane the day before you plan on applying for the visa. That saves the rush to get to the consular office you would have if you fly up the same day. Plus getting there early morning reduces the wait time.

Doing the bus from Udon means going into town to catch it. Taking the van from airport is easiest way.

From reports I have read Nok Air's coach does wait for you to get the Lao visa.

I am a bit confused (too).

If I got it right, the poster wants to go to Laos/Vientiane to obtain a new visa for Thailand at the Thai embassy?

He is now asking about the visa to enter Laos?

Why not simply fly to Vientiane, if you are amongst the Nationals that are entitled for visa on arrival (VoA)?

So just fly there and do the VoA at the airport immigration.

How to get Laos visa on arrival

You can easily get Laos visa on arrival in most border crossings and all Lao International airports.

http://www.laosvisas.com/to-get-laos-visa/how-to-get-laos-visa-on-arrival/

BTW: nonstop flights are from Suvarnabhumi. Thai Air, Bangkok Air, Laos Airline.

Edited by KhunBENQ

The entire discussion has been about getting the visa on arrival at the bridge

The questions asked were whether the bus would wait or not while the VOA was obtained.

Most people make the trip overland or by air via Udon because the cost of flying into Vientiane can easily be double the cost or more.

The entire discussion has been about getting the visa on arrival at the bridge

The questions asked were whether the bus would wait or not while the VOA was obtained.

Most people make the trip overland or by air via Udon because the cost of flying into Vientiane can easily be double the cost or more.

Hi Joe,

Update for others considering this.

Lao Central Airlines are really cheap to fly BKK to VTE, coming in at 2490thb ish one way.

Called Nok Air, 3 different ladies and then another chap, none of them couldn't answer the question (do you wait at the immigration point for Laos allowing me time to get a Laos Visa?). The website states a caveat ref the need to have a visa to enter Laos, hence this whole post. Some airlines will not let you board without a visa etc, hence again the worry and request for info.

Correct ref flight prices, direct with others are fairly big in comparison. Comparing the different options, it can be costly, frustrating and a mess about.

As I find more I will update.

Thanks again.

Just returned from a trip to Laos from Bangkok yesterday; not a visa run. Flew Air Asia to Udon Thani from DMK, B1250 inclusive, booked online a month in advance; a very aggravating and tricky website.

Van to Border/Nong Khai from the airport in Udon was B200 pp, about one hour.

Exiting Thailand was quick and easy, shuttle bus (B20) across bridge to Lao check point.

Somewhat confusing...go to the Immigration Booth on the left and knock on the little right hand window and wait patiently for them to hand you the forms. Fill them out and then go to the little left hand window and hand them in along with a visa photo and US$35 or B1500....unless, of course it is after 2pm at which time you are assessed an extra $1 or B100 "Overtime" charge.

Then round the corner of the building and wait near the window and eventually your passport will be handed back to you. You do not have to wait and pass through the Immigration booths after getting your passport,...just walk along the side of the building and present your passport at the next checkpoint.

Once you clear Immigration, there will be many van, tuk-tuk, and car drivers all willing to transport you to Vientiane. Your bargaining skills will ultimately determine the cost but figure around B200 per person. Depending on supply & demand, you may pay more or less. BTW, B100=25,000 KIP, the local currency.

I booked a room at the INNER CITY BOUTIQUE HOTEL right on the river near the night market in Vientiane on AGODA for about $22 and was very satisfied with the hotel...but my tastes are simple.

After traveling to Luang Prabang (Most spectacular bus ride ever) and staying 4 nights, returned to Vientiane (Bus broke down 3 times, 3 hours late) and crossed just before 10 PM into Thailand...much faster and less complicated leaving than entering but there is a B50 fee for some silly pass card. We stayed in Nong Khai and then flew back to DMK on NOK Air for about B1400 each, booked online a week in advance. Nok's website is much more agreeable to use than Air Asia's.

Edited by dddave

Hi

Although seems more or less covered I`ll just add my own experience.

I flew BKK - Udon, Air Asia, decided to stay in Udon a couple of nights, as had never been there so took a taxi from Udon airport in to town centre, maybe 300 baht ?

Then after 2 days took a bus Udon - Nong Khai, then a tuk tuk for brief journey to bridge, filled out form for Laos visa paid US $35 waited perhaps 20 minutes and then a very short bus trip, taxis waiting other side, took one in to town centre, again 300 baht I think,

All quite straight forward and that was my first time doing the trip.

Applied for visa 1 day, took maybe close to an hour waiting , then returned next day to pick up, which only took maybe 20 minutes waiting.

i found Vientiane very pleasant, stayed about 5 days.smile.png

Then round the corner of the building and wait near the window and eventually your passport will be handed back to you.

...or some other random person. I went across a few years ago and the little window opened and was duly handed my passport. Actually, it wasn't my passport at all but for someone standing behind me.

Have a sharp eye.

Edited by wooloomooloo