Tempers flare in Samut Prakan

webfact

DEMONSTRATION
Tempers flare in Samut Prakan

The Nation

30220935-01_big.gif

BANGKOK: -- Samut Prakan police ended up having to break up a clash between a group of red-shirt supporters and anti-Thaksin protesters yesterday.

Following a day of protests and counter-rallies, red shirts allegedly began hurling velvet beans - notorious for their itchiness - at their rivals, who retaliated by hurling water bottles.

The day began with some 1,000 protesters, led by ex-Democrat MP Charoon Youngprapakorn, who took over the provincial hall. Charoon delivered a fiery speech attacking the Thaksin regime, while protesters blocked traffic causing congestion on Sukhumvit and Srinakarin Roads.

Later in the morning, 300 red shirts began congregating in an area designated by police to keep the two sides apart.

After more than two hours of laying siege to the provincial hall, local authorities agreed to accept the roses and whistles presented by the protesters. However, when they opened the gate for protesters to enter the grounds, the red shirts also rushed in. The two sides eventually decided to disperse at around noon, but tensions rose as they were leaving and police had to step in. No casualties or damage was reported.

In Songkhla, some 3,000 protesters stormed the venue designated for the government's Thailand 2020 exhibition.

Deputy Prime Minister Kittiratt Na Ranong was slated to preside over the exhibition's opening ceremony but it was cancelled.

Governor Krissada Boonrat announced that no government leaders would be attending the event and protesters subsequently dispersed.

In Rayong, about 100 protesters stormed into the provincial hall, prompting most officials to drop their work and go home. Later, a number of female protesters filed a police complaint charging guards of sexually assaulting them during the tussle to enter the city hall.

In Yala, some 2,000 students and teachers from Yala Technical College and Rajabhat University as well as local officials, marched to the Southern Border Provinces Administration Centre (SBPAC) to voice their opposition to the Thaksin regime.

SBPAC director Thawee Sodsong told the protesters that he was taking no sides.

In Ubon Ratchathani, some 500 Democrat Party supporters rallied in front of the provincial hall to show their opposition to the government.

Meanwhile, in Buri Ram, more than 500 doctors, nurses and local residents participated in a civil march in Nang Rong Municipality.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-11-30

This government has about 6 weeks left before all out anarchy irrupts.

No guessing who the Nation supports.

6 weeks! I believe more in 6 days.

Six weeks? I think the situation has escalated quickly enough for it to come to a head much sooner than that. However, the problems and divide will certainly still be here in six weeks, and people will still be rallying or protesting against each other six years from now.

The catalyst for chaos could start within the next 6 hours.

People power in action, the government should call on their red thugs to act in a peacefull and civil manner as Suthep has done. The PTP's silence demonstrates their compliance with these violent and anti social actions.

Wait, weren't you one of the people blaming Nick for daring to try to do his job and photograph anti-govt protests? How come you're not blaming these anti-govt protesters for going into a well known red sympathetic area? Surely they should've known better and actually deserved a proper kicking, not just some itchy seeds?

So there are public areas "off limits" to protesters?

Some "democracy".

• Like 2

Confrontation and conflict have been inevitable for some days, and it is hard to not see that as part of the plan by both leaderships, who I will hold equally accountable for any deaths or injuries that are to come.

Thais need to wake up and realise the person under that shirt (dyed whatever colour), is another Thai, and probably just as poor and unfortunate as you are, in the grand scheme of things. They need to stop following dubious leaders/warlords with their own agendas of greed and/or shadowy schemes, and to unify to reclaim their inborn right to live in a stable and sovereign democracy, governed by people who want to see prosperity and social elevation for all citizens.

coffee1.gif

Edited by Yunla
  • Like 2

People power in action, the government should call on their red thugs to act in a peacefull and civil manner as Suthep has done. The PTP's silence demonstrates their compliance with these violent and anti social actions.

They don't know the meaning of the word 'peaceful'. They will only get worse.

The government has bit its lip and not used force because the anti-government protests have been largely well behaved knowing that violence would be the catalyst for a coup and an eventual overthrow which is the last thing they want to happen.

Yet these brain dead red shirted morons have proved time and again that they know only one method and that is to create violence wherever they are. Which is just another confirmation that it was probably their own stupid fault they ended up being shot at in 2010.

They need to take a deep breath and think about that their actions will end up playing right into the hands of the anti-gov protesters, and they will end up with having the blame put on THEM.

The PTP and Thakluck need to start issuing statements warning the red shirts explicitly to stop what they are doing and that it is actually very counter productive.

Wait, weren't you one of the people blaming Nick for daring to try to do his job and photograph anti-govt protests? How come you're not blaming these anti-govt protesters for going into a well known red sympathetic area? Surely they should've known better and actually deserved a proper kicking, not just some itchy seeds?

Some "democracy".

No, of course they shouldn't be. But the protest Nick tried to photograph was also taking place in a public space, wasn't it? So why is it acceptable in one case, and not in the other?

So your equating the fact that a known unsympathetic farrang who was arguing with Thais because they wouldn't let him profit form those he opposes and was roughly eject, with the fact that some Thai citizens have had their democratic right to public assembly violently taken from then by government backed thugs. Where is the similarity?

Edited by waza

"Red sympathetic area" doesn't mean everyone supports the reds. They're in their own local area so why do you think they deserve a good kicking? Is that the way you would want politics to work in your own country?

What is often overlooked in the description of reds as the 'party of the rural poor' is that many people in rural areas, especially the NE, didn't vote for PTP. PTP members were not all voted in by a landslide. There were millions of Isan voters who didn't vote for PTP candidates. Local elections, including in Samut Prakan, have returned very different results and candidates than national elections. Because it's more about the personalities than the politics.

• Like 1

Some "democracy".

No, of course they shouldn't be. But the protest Nick tried to photograph was also taking place in a public space, wasn't it? So why is it acceptable in one case, and not in the other?

So your equating the fact that a known unsympathetic farrang who was arguing with Thais because they wouldn't let him profit form those he opposes and was roughly eject, with the fact that some Thai citizens have had their democratic right to public assembly violently taken from then by government backed thugs. Where is the similarity?

I oppose your farang/Thai opposition. I see it as irrelevant that Nick happens to be farang. That aside, sure, you could argue that whilst Nick had as much of a right to be there as the protesters, he did not have the right to photograph without their permission. Maybe that's an argument you could put forward, but it doesn't mean they had the right to use violence. And using precisely the argument to justify Nick being expelled, I could say that protesters have the right to democratic assembly, but not to "lay siege" to the provincial hall, nor to block roads. In fact their democratic right to assembly wasn't taken away either, nothing happened until they entered the hall. Surely if they're going to go an unsympathetic area and break the law, they should expect opposition?

To make this clear, I am not defending the treatment of Nick Nostitz or the anti-govt protesters here. But imo it's hypocritical to defend one action whilst denouncing the other. If you're fine with that, OK. Just thought the similarity of the two cases should be pointed out.

• Like 1

"when they opened the gate for protesters to enter the grounds, the red shirts also rushed in"

So the peaceful symbolic-protest, which had been negotiated between the anti-government protesters & the local authorities, was derailed by the local reds.

One suspects that there are in large parts of the country, which PTP/UDD feel belong exclusively to them, and dissent by other local residents will be stamped-down-on. I would certainly say this is true also in Chiang Mai, where I live, and a significant minority do not support the Shin-Clan, but are deterred from saying so openly. wink.png

So much for 'fighting for justice', as they claimed in 2010, they were in fact fighting for a thugocracy or dictatorship instead.

The rift runs across the whole country, and won't be solved by the return of one special person, perhaps time for truly-national political-parties, fighting on their agendas, rather than conglomerates of local factions led by feudal-leaders, who wheel-and-deal to support coalition-governments ?

But I suspect it will be a long time coming. sad.png

"Red sympathetic area" doesn't mean everyone supports the reds. They're in their own local area so why do you think they deserve a good kicking? Is that the way you would want politics to work in your own country?

What is often overlooked in the description of reds as the 'party of the rural poor' is that many people in rural areas, especially the NE, didn't vote for PTP. PTP members were not all voted in by a landslide. There were millions of Isan voters who didn't vote for PTP candidates. Local elections, including in Samut Prakan, have returned very different results and candidates than national elections. Because it's more about the personalities than the politics.

I don't think they deserve a good kicking! You perhaps didn't read any of the (mostly deleted now) responses on the Nick Nostitz thread which suggested he was himself to blame for anything that happened to him, as he entered a protest area containing people obviously unsympathetic to him. I was drawing a parallel to this case - protesting in an area where there are many people unsympathetic to anti-govt sentiments - to suggest that that response was wrong and based on partisan feeling. I'm fully aware of the rest of what you say. Let's move on... lol.

where i live in ubon is very red..500 people demonstrated there and not a drop of trouble so to say that you shouldnt be in a red..area is obviously wrong...its there democratic right isnt it..people are waking up (MAYBE)...until the next election ?????

Confrontation and conflict have been inevitable for some days, and it is hard to not see that as part of the plan by both leaderships, who I will hold equally accountable for any deaths or injuries that are to come.

Thais need to wake up and realise the person under that shirt (dyed whatever colour), is another Thai, and probably just as poor and unfortunate as you are, in the grand scheme of things. They need to stop following dubious leaders/warlords with their own agendas of greed and/or shadowy schemes, and to unify to reclaim their inborn right to live in a stable and sovereign democracy, governed by people who want to see prosperity and social elevation for all citizens.

coffee1.gif

I couldn't agree more, but under Thaksin's puppets (both his sister and the PTP), Thailand is far from stable and is not governed by people with the interests of its citizens at heart....!

The anti-government protesters are fully aware that these clowns are going to bankrupt the country if they are not ousted ... their red shirt supporters are simply hanging on to them for their share of the cake ... even if it is crumbs...!

Some "democracy".

I oppose your farang/Thai opposition. I see it as irrelevant that Nick happens to be farang. That aside, sure, you could argue that whilst Nick had as much of a right to be there as the protesters, he did not have the right to photograph without their permission. Maybe that's an argument you could put forward, but it doesn't mean they had the right to use violence. And using precisely the argument to justify Nick being expelled, I could say that protesters have the right to democratic assembly, but not to "lay siege" to the provincial hall, nor to block roads. In fact their democratic right to assembly wasn't taken away either, nothing happened until they entered the hall. Surely if they're going to go an unsympathetic area and break the law, they should expect opposition?

To make this clear, I am not defending the treatment of Nick Nostitz or the anti-govt protesters here. But imo it's hypocritical to defend one action whilst denouncing the other. If you're fine with that, OK. Just thought the similarity of the two cases should be pointed out.

You are confusing right with privilege, citizens have rights, guest have privileges and this is the core of the issue. Nick is not a citizen of Thailand and does not have any rights he is extended privileges at the forbearance of his hosts. Nick does not have a right to work in Thailand, he doesn't have the right to take picture of protestor when they object, he doesn't have the right to join protests. But his hosts have the right to withdraw Nick's privilege's if he acts in an uncivil and discourteous manner and they have the right to eject him is he breaches social norms.

300 red, 1000 anti government protesters, you need a math lesson, if it's such a sympathetic area for the Reds then why only 300 people?

But Charoon Youngprapakorn is a resident of Samut Prakhan, and has every right to lead a protest in his own town. Or is there some new law that says anyone from a red leaning province who doesn't support the reds must keep quiet? I suspect that's the situation in many of the red villages, and it would appear that is eactly what you are insinuating with your "should've known better" statement. Yay for red democracy. Next time don't even let any non PTP politicians stand for election, as it might upset the locals, who would be justified in giving them a proper kicking.

Edited by ballpoint

Some "democracy".

Dude, you have the patience of a saint.