Persian Cats... a question.

BonnieandClyde

Judging by some avatar photos and the occasional post, there seem to be some cat-lovers on the forum. Perhaps they could answer a question.

We have two male Persians, half-brothers very close in age, that we have raised since they were kittens. They are now about three years old.

This is the question: Would neutering them at this age have any likely positive or negative effects?

They are kept within our garden compound on a small soi near the Gymkhana Club; so they don't interact with the neighbourhood cats. Ours are generally well-behaved, with the exception of often howling at night, even when a female cat in heat is not around.

We were thinking about having them neutered in the hope that it might calm them down.

Much obliged for any advice.

Typically when any animal is neutered, it reduces their sexual urges. Cats normally like to roam free and will find zillions of ways to explore the neighbourhood. Neutering at that age is still safe if done by a vet. The healing takes a week or so and their behavior changes may take a couple of months.

Neutering also avoids unwanted kittens. I would highly recommend it but it is your final decision. Cheers!

• Like 1

Yes, it will help although it will take a few months for the hormones to come out of their system. Also, if they're used to roaming and fighting with other male cats, that pattern may continue because it's become a habit. That was a problem with a childhood pet that wasn't neutered until he was about age 3 or 4. Eventually he died from wounds sustained in a cat fight, even though he'd been neutered for several years. Now that I'm an adult and pet owner, I've never let my cats outdoors and they've always lived passed age 20 -- unlike the ones my parents had.

• Like 1

Yes, it will help although it will take a few months for the hormones to come out of their system. Also, if they're used to roaming and fighting with other male cats, that pattern may continue because it's become a habit. That was a problem with a childhood pet that wasn't neutered until he was about age 3 or 4. Eventually he died from wounds sustained in a cat fight, even though he'd been neutered for several years. Now that I'm an adult and pet owner, I've never let my cats outdoors and they've always lived passed age 20 -- unlike the ones my parents had.

Thanks so much to you and Impkenai for your informative replies. You both sound very knowledgeable - almost like vets.

We come from families who had many [sometimes too many!] pets as we were growing up. The received wisdom was that cats should be neutered rather young. In the case of females, after they had their first litter of kittens.

But if you say that neutering a 3-4 year-old cat is OK, then we will take your word for it and thank you again for the input.

I have a persian cat, he did desex him ONLY because he was too lazy to go look for girls and just sat home screaming.

After desexing, we realized he was gay and was only interested in boyslaugh.png

On a serious note, i think if you not going to breed them, its best to desex them for health, personality and hygiene reasons

My Persian was gay before I had him de-sexed. He was six years old when I adopted him and he's been very similar to a mother to any female kittens I had.

This is the second Persian I've had and I assume they are mentally ill compared to many other breeds of cats. Lazier than Garfield but he has his moments of pure energy a day or two before a big storm approaches.

As lemoncake said; "its best to desex them for health, personality and hygiene reasons". Agreed.

All of my tomcats sprayed all over my herb and spice collection and that's what forced me to neuter all my male cats and dogs.

• Like 1

A long celibate life. No thanks. tongue.png

Why not? Saves money 'cause you don't have to pay for their meal.. You don't get into fights when vying for a mate nor do you get run over while licking your ..... in the middle of the road.

I have a persian cat, he did desex him ONLY because he was too lazy to go look for girls and just sat home screaming.

On a serious note, i think if you not going to breed them, its best to desex them for health, personality and hygiene reasons

Interesting what you and schondie say about your Persians being gay.

Our two males often engage in what looks like sex-play. Although we've never seen them go "all the way".

Are Persians prone to that? Any facetious remarks about the propensities of the male cats being similar to those of the people would likely incur censorship; so we won't go there.

And no, we are not going to breed them, and agree with your reasons for neutering.

Thanks for responding.

If you don't spay them eventually they WILL chase after a female in heat. Male cats that roam typically have shorter lives. I'd have fixed them when they were still kittens myself. And the males are usually more affectionate towards people once they are neutered.

Interesting what you and schondie say about your Persians being gay.

Our two males often engage in what looks like sex-play. Although we've never seen them go "all the way".

Are Persians prone to that? Any facetious remarks about the propensities of the male cats being similar to those of the people would likely incur censorship; so we won't go there.

And no, we are not going to breed them, and agree with your reasons for neutering.

Thanks for responding.

May be your boys are still in deniallaugh.png

With my boy, his first kiss and first love was a male cat from soi.

Mind you, he lives with 3 females and not interested in them at all.biggrin.png

ot but i have a persian cat as well, alittle over a year old. any clinics to recommend for neutering? how much should i expected to pay for? and any decent clean grooming shops that handle cats well

Where are you? what city?

Pattaya, does not seem to have any decent shops with decent price to groom the cats.

I use my vet, but would not really recommend his clinic for grooming

ot but i have a persian cat as well, alittle over a year old. any clinics to recommend for neutering? how much should i expected to pay for? and any decent clean grooming shops that handle cats well

There are many good vets in Chiang Mai. The one that we go to, and seems to get most of the recommendations is Dr Nook Animal Hospital. 164/68-69, Chang Klan Rd., A. Muang, Chiang Mai. Tel. 053 818905.

But there are others as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's an update on this topic for those who may be interested.

Our question as to whether or not it was advisable to have male cats as old as 3+ years neutered, was kindly answered by many TV members in the affirmative.

So we had our two male Persians - Snowball and Louie Latte - operated on by Dr. Kwanchai at his veterinary clinic in Nong Hoi. We usually go to Dr. Nook in Chang Klan and never had any complaints, but the Nong Hoi vet was closer to where we live, and our neighbours go there.

Everything went well. The procedure took a little over one hour for both cats and cost 600 baht each, antibotics included.

Dr. Kwanchai and his staff are thoroughly professional, courteous, and efficient. There doesn't seem to be any double-pricing for farangs. We paid what several of our neighbours had paid.

Highly recommended.

Chiang Mai-Lamphun Saht-ta-wa-paht [veterinarian].

537/7 CM-Lamphun Rd., Nong Hoi. Heading south past the market, on the lefthand side.

Tel. 053-329787. Open everyday 9:30 AM - 8 PM.

Thanks for all the helpful replies.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.