Chula Intensive Thai

kmcnutty

I'm doing it at the moment :) classes are REAL intensive, you won't have any spare time left to do anything at all. After the class you'll get lots of homework to do and you can't afford to skip for a single day, but the results a really good, you'll gain a lot of knowledge in a very short time and make a very fast progress in acquiring the language.

• Like 1

I didn't do level one, I had done the test and I was able to begin at level two.

My speaking and listening skills are OK but I couldn't read a single letter when I started, I'm in the program now for a month and are able to read a little but writing is still very hard for me.

The things they cover in level one is mostly to get a grip on the tones, and basic speaking and listening skills.

They use a kind of phonetic system in level one what will be good to learn because it will make the beginning of level two much easier for you to understand, as that's were my problems started to arise.

In level two somewhere during the 3rd week they get rid of that phonetic system and use only Thai in the class for reading and writing what I prefer more.

Furthermore you get lots of homework to practice at home further, in the first two weeks of level two we had about 3 hours a day, but in the third week it became more like 4-5 hours homework a day.

As they say on their website that it is intensive, well trust me, it is!!

But if you have the time, devotion and money (as it is expensive for six weeks 25.000 Baht) than you can gain a lot of knowledge from the Thai language.

In the higher levels 3 or 4 and up you'll have to do presentations also in class, that is something that I look forward to as than you can really see how far you got already :)

I really recommend the way they teach, teachers know what they are doing, are very good prepared and you have different teachers during the week so that you can hear different people (voices) speak Thai and not even ones the teachers didn't know what their colleagues had been doing the day before, so they keep on going, sometimes the pace is a bit to fast (for me) but that's what you have with an intensive course.

At the end you won't be able to read Harry Potter, but you will be able to read an academical book or a newspaper as they don't teach childrens' language but more academic Thai, after all it is a university, if you look for the more common type of language you should maybe better find another language school.

Assuming the format is the same I did the first three sections (basic 1 2 and 3) a decade ago, I had a hefty commute (90 mins each way) and after about 2.5 months was totally sapped ... Got really bogged down so I stopped .. about 2- months AFTER I stopped my skill level started going way up quickly. I needed time to process all of the material and re-read my notes etc.

I am still missing vocab but I can read most things and am working on The DaVinci Code in Thai right now.

How many students are usually in each class? And is it more of a lecturing style where you listen or teaching where there's discussion with the class, or tutoring where the teacher assists each student individually?

Also how many hours do you study in class each day? (And I assume it's just Mon-Fri?). And do you get decent breaks between classes/hours? (e.g. Do they break up the classes into say 50min periods with 10mins between classes, or have 1h of class 1h to relax then 1h of class, or say 3h with a 5-10min break between). 3-5h of homework on top of class does sound extremely intensive.

Also do you get a certificate for each level you complete? Or only when you finish the entire course? (I think it has 9 levels right?)

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

When I took it, there were 9 that started with me and 6 in the third section. 5 hours a day at school, 2 hours of class, lunch, 2 hours of class. There was a 5 minute break during the class I think and a 10 minute break after each hour. I think there is a certificate after each level (Basic was 3 sections and a cert after.) I think there were a total of 13 sections/months.

I'm probably going to study there also next year. I'm looking at 3 March to 11 April. There's a smaller chance I'd follow on with 1 May to 13 June.

I have a vocab of 500+ words, a good understanding of Thai grammar, and can read Thai (very very slowly) so that suggests I shouldn't start in Class 1, but I'm sure theres many holes in my knowledge and I'm poor with tones and listening to people at normal speed. But having said that, I would be traveling from Australia and the semester of class would be my annual holiday so I don't want to waste the opportunity either.

I'll have to call them up and see if I can sit a placement exam to determine my standing. It would be nice if they provided greater visibility into their curriculum than their crappy website (http://www.arts.chula.ac.th/~asc/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&layout=item&id=78&Itemid=255).

Keen to continue hearing as much as possible on other people's observations on the classes.

• Like 1

I recommend you start with Level 1 even though you know some of the material. Each level introduces 800 to 1000 words. So, your vocabulary entering Level 2 will be somewhat short if you do not take Level 1. Your time will not be wasted and you will be better prepared for Level 2 afterwards.

Before studying at Chula I taught myself Thai and could read and write a vocabulary of about 500 words also. Nevertheless I was glad that I started with Level 1. The pace is very fast. If you get behind it will be very difficult to catch up. Far better to be a little ahead of the class than a little behind. Even so I spent 4 to 6 hours per day on studying and homework. Also, some of the other students in Level 1 will have already studied Thai previously. In my class there was one Japanese student who had studied daily for 2 years before entering Level 1. So, while you prior study may put you ahead in the curriculum you will not necessarily be ahead of the other students. In general the students are highly motivated and work very hard.

I'm probably going to study there also next year. I'm looking at 3 March to 11 April. There's a smaller chance I'd follow on with 1 May to 13 June.

I have a vocab of 500+ words, a good understanding of Thai grammar, and can read Thai (very very slowly) so that suggests I shouldn't start in Class 1, but I'm sure theres many holes in my knowledge and I'm poor with tones and listening to people at normal speed. But having said that, I would be traveling from Australia and the semester of class would be my annual holiday so I don't want to waste the opportunity either.

I'll have to call them up and see if I can sit a placement exam to determine my standing. It would be nice if they provided greater visibility into their curriculum than their crappy website (http://www.arts.chula.ac.th/~asc/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&layout=item&id=78&Itemid=255).

Keen to continue hearing as much as possible on other people's observations on the classes.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I've started looking into suitable accommodation for my 6 weeks at Chula. The closest station to Chula's Language department appears to be MRT Sam Yan.

The below accommodation is recommended by Chula (http://www.inter.chula.ac.th/inter/internationalstudents/Accomodation.htm).

Just wondering if anyone has opinions on them. I also like the idea of a homestay situation where I'd be immersed in Thai language.

So I've just finished level 2 and actually wished that I had done what CaptHaddock recommends, to start in level 1. My spoken Thai was according to the teachers good enough to start in level 3 but i couldn't write or read a single letter.

As they start with phonetic (karaoke) language to explain everything i was in a disadvantage compared to the Asians who had done level 1, I've managed my way through it but I still have problems with all the grammar rules sad.png .

I don't have the result from the exam yet as that will take a week or so, but I think I've made it but it was tough.

I am able to read now some easy stories (slowly) and I bought a kids cartoon today what I can reasonable follow for most of it.

I have a Masters degree so I know what it is to study, but to be honest, this feels like it is harder than my time at the Uni before, maybe because this is all new and very strange especially for westerners in the beginning.

I saw the books today for level 3 and it seems like another challenge, and I look really forward to start with that one.

Study times are 3 hours a day almost nonstop, you have like a 5 minute break after an hour or so to go to the toilet or buy a coffee and that's it, no relaxing time between the lessons so you have to stay focused.

The homework ..... it starts with like 3 hours a day but it will go up each and every week, in the end I was doing more like 5-7 hours but that will depend on your reading and writing capacity ass well I reckon and how good you are in remembering all the new vocab they give you each and every day.

Another thing is that the school was closed during the protest for 3 days and they make up for the lost days without anyone asked for it so they are really committed to give you the full 100 hours, and there are no time-fillers during class, once they have finished the days topic they will have some other things coming out of their magic head to keep you fully occupied.

But you really have to be highly motivated and don't have any other commitments, like work or so, or you wont be able to catch up.

all in all I really recommend this course if you are serious in learning the Thai language in a relatively short time.

Edited by Haverkamp1

In the level 2 course, do they teach you all of the tone rules + weird rules?

Do they use much/any English during the course as well?

How much of the vocab in lvl 2 was probably new for you? Like was it 3-7 hours homework when a lot of it was familiar already, or was the majority of it new vocab.

As I'm quite keen on doing the Chula course next year, but am really intimidated about it by what everyone has said about it. As I've only learnt Thai via self study and asking my gf regular questions, so I know that I've got a lot of gaps in my knowledge.

Because I'm quite intimidated and what people have said, I'm thinking about asking to start at lvl 1, but I hate having to read Thai using English phonetics, and even though I read quite slowly at present, assume that in the intensive course I'd get a lot faster and learn a lot of extra vocab.

And do they use workbooks / text books? Or do you have to take your own notes during the classes?

And do you do a lot of exercises during the classes? or are they more lecture style?

To answer your questions:

Yes they do teach you all the tone rules and a lot of the exceptions as well, and that will go on in to the next levels.

I knew most of the vocabulary used already, like 90+ %, but the homework are mostly writing exercises, on how to apply the tone rules or how to change one sound to another.

Another thing is that you'll get dictations, and I spend a lot of time on those because it was and still is very hard for me to remember on how to write all those words, you get a total of 8 dictations during the 6 weeks and they count for your exam as well. I didn't try to start to learn word lists as no one did that as it makes no sense, by just applying them in real sentence structures the meaning will be clear most of the time.

The Phonetics are in use for about the first 3 weeks after they get rid of it and (almost) everything what you read and write will be done in Thai.

The books they use (2) are clearly and in a good way build up, with both English and Thai in it, but they will have lots of handouts for you to do also.

They lecture a lot but also let everybody make sentences with each new structure that is taught, not as much as I maybe wanted but you just don't have enough time to over it again and again, after all it's just 6 week and you'll have to cover a lot in such a short time frame. It would be wise to immerse yourself after school with Thais to practice speaking a bit more as the emphasis is on reading/writing in level 2.

A lot of it is also formal language what many common Thais don't use in their daily life or some maybe don't even know on how to use it correctly.

At the end of level 2 (week 4-6) the teachers using less English and in the end non English at all anymore except to translate sometimes a new/difficult word in level 3 and up they will NOT use any English at all.

You do have to take notes all the time, things are in the books but they will have many times extra examples to clear things up, to do have a very professional approach to the whole thing, as it is Chula they just want to deliver the best there is available, and if it is really the best, I don't know because each person has a different learning style, but I'm impressed at the progress I made in such a short time.

I would recommend that you just take the placement test, and they will know which level ls the best one for you to start in.

Next course will start on Jan the 2nd so you still have some time to give them a call and ask details about how and when the test will take place.

But as CaptHaddock said before already, there are lots of Asians in the class and they are really dedicated to their study, everybody is working very hard and are serious about the thing they are doing, so don't expect to have time left to go out every night as once you get lost there is no way to catch up again with them.

Yes, in Level 2 you learn the whole writing system including the tone rules.

If you already know how to read and write Thai you can do the written homeworks in Thai rather than karaoke. The teachers will correct it.

The Chula program uses its own books. They are the weakest aspect of the program. No index. No glossary. No reference grammar. You can do what I did and ask for the books in MS Word format, which is available. Then when you are reviewing and want to find the section that explains about classifiers, for example, you can search the file and find it quickly. Otherwise you have to waste time flipping through the book trying to find the section you want to review.

You have to take notes in class. For example, they introduce new vocabulary in response to requests from students, that is not in the book. I don't remember whether such occasional vocabulary appeared on the test, but, of course, your goal is to learn Thai, not merely to pass the test. Taking notes in Thai will teach you to write Thai quickly.

If you have been learning on your own the benefit will be to have your pronunciation corrected. You can't learn this on your own. You have to have a competent Thai correct your speaking errors. You will also benefit from listening to the teachers. At each level the rate of speaking of the teachers is very well coordinated: they all speak at the same rate, which gets faster with each level. And they rotate teachers on you frequently so that you do not get overly adapted to the speaking style of just one teacher. It is impressive how well they have thought this out and implemented it. I doubt that any other program in the country does this.

If you can afford the time and money, you would be well advised to being in level 1 and complete the whole program. I can pretty much guarantee you that if you do take level 1 you will not feel it was time wasted. If, on the other hand, you start at too high a level, you may not be ever able to catch up. As for feeling intimidated, if you start at the beginning and do the homework for several to many hours a day, you should be able to do the course.

The other great thing about the program is the other students: very bright, hard-working and motivated. Mostly Asians, but a mix. By studying with them you will make more progress than you would alone. Also, they are fun and interesting.

Good luck.

In the level 2 course, do they teach you all of the tone rules + weird rules?

Do they use much/any English during the course as well?

How much of the vocab in lvl 2 was probably new for you? Like was it 3-7 hours homework when a lot of it was familiar already, or was the majority of it new vocab.

As I'm quite keen on doing the Chula course next year, but am really intimidated about it by what everyone has said about it. As I've only learnt Thai via self study and asking my gf regular questions, so I know that I've got a lot of gaps in my knowledge.

Because I'm quite intimidated and what people have said, I'm thinking about asking to start at lvl 1, but I hate having to read Thai using English phonetics, and even though I read quite slowly at present, assume that in the intensive course I'd get a lot faster and learn a lot of extra vocab.

And do they use workbooks / text books? Or do you have to take your own notes during the classes?

And do you do a lot of exercises during the classes? or are they more lecture style?

@ fiftcolumn

I've not been to Union or Unity so I don't know how they teach therefore I can't say anything useful about that.

@ danphuket , NO they don't offer private lessons, you just join the class and that's it, if you think you have spare time (what you won't have) you can always find a private teacher somewhere else, and if the time schedule isn't comfortable for you then you are not totally committed, as I said before you just don't have spare time to work or do anything besides learning, that's why it is called intensive Thai :)

• 2 weeks later...

How many weeks is a level?

I see they teach 4 hours/day, but how many days/week?

What is the cost?

I wrote before already that it is 3 hours a day!! without any breaks different than 5 minutes to go the toilet.

Furthermore, it's 5 days a week and 6 weeks for each level, there are 9 levels in total.

each level will cost you 25.000 Baht, but in June/July the price will go up to 27.000 Baht.

Expect a lot of homework like 3 hours a day some days even more (before a dictation/test) from level 3 onward you'll have to do presentations in class also in Thai.

We have people in the class who came to Thailand in September and are able to read/write and have a conversation in Thai already, so they gained a lot of knowledge in a relatively short time.

• Like 1

This link may be of some help. http://www.arts.chula.ac.th/~asc/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=39&Itemid=254 it is the link for the program. If you hover over the link that says Thai for Foreigners, there is a drop down menu for the different levels that gives some good information about each level.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I posted 2 threads at in the education sub-forum and get no response, until I found this thread.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/706348-thai-competency-for-university-local-program/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/706323-thai-competency-for-enroling-local-thai-university-courses/

Anyway, I am currently looking for a University to study Thai language. As I will be sponsored by my company, they would require me to enrol in a Government university and the certificate obtained at the end of the program must allow me to enrol for a Thai university local bachelor program.

Hence, I would like to know whether the gold/platinum certificate issued by Chula will allow myself to enrol in Chula local program?

I understand that all Form 12 students will attempt the ANET for the secondary school graduation, hence ANET should be the requirement that my company is looking at. Are there any possibility that foreigners be allowed to take the ANET Thai language exam?

If not, I think the next best examination would be the Thai Competency Test conducted by the OBEC. Does anyone of you has any idea whether the platinum certificate is equivalent to which grade of the Thai Competency Test? With grade 1 being beginner, 2/3 being lower/upper primary, 4/5 being lower/upper secondary and grade 6 being graded as native speaker.

I would be going over for the placement test in 11 April.

Thanks and hope to hear some advice from you guys soon.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I got a 5 on several skills of the Thai Competency Test.

I think a Thai speaker in ม.3 would get about the same level in this test.

There is a huge difference between getting a good score on a specific test and being good at at the language.

Most language tests don't only test your language level, but only your level of intelligence, your level of understanding (in general), and even your memory.

A very skilled native Thai speaker with a bad memory and low intelligence, would probably also not get a very high score in the test, even though this person is much better in Thai than a farang which scores a 5 on several skills.