If your have trouble with Internet today...

eTiMaGo

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps not related, but I've been having a lot of trouble this morning (evening Bangkok time) getting through to Thailand from overseas on a landline telephone to two different cell phone numbers in Thailand. If I get through after multiple tries the call only lasts a couple of minutes before the line drops.

False alarm. I finally managed to get through to Thailand on a decent long distance phone line about a half hour ago.

Knowing this is Thailand, they will use this as a excuse for not working internet for the next couple of months ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by MJCM

What the hell did they do? You can't just stop the internet?

Normally this signals a coup

Well, in Thailand, I'd assume you can "stop the Internet" -- or at least a portion of it relating to particular providers -- by cutting off the electricity to key locations/infrastructure.

Functional backup power and system services don't seem to be part of the lexicon here. whistling.gif

From the various member reports above, I'd say it's pretty clear that this was NOT some kind of government orchestrated information/Internet cutoff -- though I certainly wouldn't rule that out for the future, if things get dire.

Rather, it sounds pretty much like what it's been reported to be -- the protesters cutting off power to the facilities of CAT for a period of time, CAT being one of Thailand major internet gateway providers, and that slowing down and knocking out some particular services.

If it had been a government orchestrated deal, I think it's pretty safe to assume that DTAC members wouldn't be reporting that their service has been fine, and my True cable wouldn't have continued working all day and into this evening.

CAT fibre optic went off about 4pm on Saturday. We phoned local office in Korat and was told the problem was in Bangkok but they were unable to contact anybody in CAT Bangkok.Came back about 2am this Sunday morning and still fine at present.

I guess this kind of serves as a reminder of the risks we take here in Thailand when we rely on anything provided by/through government agencies here.

Not that the private sector operators here are much better, but the government operated ones certainly seem more prone to monkey business when we get into these kinds of political scrapes.

CAT and TOT (and THAI and EGAT and others...) do poorly enough in normal times. But in these kinds of times, they seem to fare even worse.

I guess this kind of serves as a reminder of the risks we take here in Thailand when we rely on anything provided by/through government agencies here.

Not that the private sector operators here are much better, but the government operated ones certainly seem more prone to monkey business when we get into these kinds of political scrapes.

CAT and TOT (and THAI and EGAT and others...) do poorly enough in normal times. But in these kinds of times, they seem to fare even worse.

The fate of true users would have been same if the protestors walked and cut true headquarters internet instead of true. How is cat performing worse than true? Does true have some alien technology that their infrastructure works even without electricity?

The fate of true users would have been same if the protestors walked and cut true headquarters internet instead of true. How is cat performing worse than true? Does true have some alien technology that their infrastructure works even without electricity?

I think the point was pretty self-evident...

CAT and TOT are entities of the government. As such, they are potential play-things and/or targets of those agitating for or against the government, whether they be Red or Yellow or whatever color.

By comparison, True and DTAC aren't government entities, even though their corporate leaderships may have allegiances that lean one way or the other. Thus, they aren't as likely to be targets once things start to get out of hand.

CAT and TOT are also, I'd wager to say, more likely to be beholden to any government Internet censorship efforts that may arise compared to their private sector peers, which aren't quite as much lackeys to the various ministers of the day.

I think the point was pretty self-evident...

CAT and TOT are entities of the government. As such, they are potential play-things and/or targets of those agitating for or against the government, whether they be Red or Yellow or whatever color.

By comparison, True and DTAC aren't government entities, even though their corporate leaderships may have allegiances that lean one way or the other. Thus, they aren't as likely to be targets once things start to get out of hand.

CAT and TOT are also, I'd wager to say, more likely to be beholden to any government Internet censorship efforts that may arise compared to their private sector peers, which aren't quite as much lackeys to the various ministers of the day.

yes but you said cat and tot both perform poorly in normal times but living here in bkk since a long time cat is the only isp that promises me better than average international speed to both europe and US. so i am just saying you cant criticize a isp when you have never used or dealt with it.

I have both Cat and True line and the cat line blows away my true line when it comes to international bandwidth.

on testmy.net which i believe is reliable enough

on true line i average around 1-2 mb most of the time to San jose

but on cat its more like 10-20 mb single threaded to san jose.

here is a 25 mb test to san jose on my cat

UJ2KY5x.png

:::.. Download Speed Test Result Details ..:::
Download Connection Speed:: 10877 Kbps or 10.9 Mbps
Download Speed Test Size:: 25 MB or 25600 kB or 26214400 bytes
Download Binary File Transfer Speed:: 1360 kB/s or 1.4 MB/s
Tested At:: http://TestMy.net Version 13
TiP Measurement Summary:: Min 5.49 Mbps | Middle Avg 12.28 Mbps | Max 18.03 Mbps | 43% Variance
TiP Data Points:: 5.49 Mbps, 9.9 Mbps, 8.63 Mbps, 8.39 Mbps, 8.63 Mbps, 8.82 Mbps, 9.02 Mbps, 9.08 Mbps, 9.44 Mbps, 10.33 Mbps, 11.5 Mbps, 12.99 Mbps, 14.55 Mbps, 16.1 Mbps, 18.03 Mbps, 17.77 Mbps, 17.77 Mbps, 17.76 Mbps, 8.11 Mbps
Test Time:: 2013-12-01 18:11:01 Local Time
1MB Download in 0.75 Seconds - 1GB Download in ~13 Minutes - 194X faster than 56K
This test of exactly 25600 kB took 19.296 seconds to complete
User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/31.0.1650.57 Safari/537.36 [!]
so can you be more specific what do you mean by poor?