Pukka Pies

GinBoy2

Now I think I'm going to upset some of the Brit community here, but Oh Well. Since we have had quite a bit of 'pie' discussion, I was directed to Pukka Pies by an English dude who assured me they were the Bee's Knee's. Sure enough, I found them in the frozen section and thought, let give it a try. Bought a chicken and mushroom pie, and proceeded to cook. Well, on the positive side the pastry wasn't bad, but OMFG the 'mush' that was inside was awful. I think what I feed the cat every morning is more appealing. My advice to anyone who's not somehow genetically attached to these 'things', if you see them....Run for your life!

• Like 2

Most of the chip shops in the UK sell Pukka pies because they are much cheaper than Peter's pies. No question they look better and the puff pastry lid is far superior but the filling is awful. Ginsters do good pasties and slices (no pies) but never seen them here.

shits me that no one here does proper aussie pies/sausage rolls/ sausages.

surely it cannot be that hard given the rancid "English" stuff that is available.

For inverted "snobs" like you try Asia West Foods - they have over-rated Aussie pies.

surely it cannot be that hard given the rancid "English" stuff that is available.

For inverted "snobs" like you try Asia West Foods - they have over-rated Aussie pies.

To be fair, the Asssie's do have some damn good pies but most of their sausages leave something to be desired..... like eating dog roll.

Yeah Iam weary of buying anything from a company that implies a cumberland sausage is an Aussie sausage.

Lets be honest here, all pies are cheap food. if you expect to pay that sort of price and expect first class ingredients then best to set the alarm to wake up from your dream. The pastry case is usually acceptable as it is difficult to find suitable ingredients that are much lower in cost and if the amount of butter/fat is reduced too much you do not get pastry as we know it. In the price there are at least two, possibly three profit elements, the manufacturer, maybe a middle man and then the retailer. Then there is the cost of packaging and refrigerated or frozen transport.If you were brought on these things then you accept and perhaps even like them. For those of us who expect a nice pie don't buy these. In fact it is almost impossible to buy what I would describe a decent mass produced pie so I don't bother. A really good pie with first class ingredients would come with a prohibitive price tag and the comment "What that price for a f..... pie" So want a first class pie then make your own and you will be surprised at the effort and cost involved but the end product will be well worth it. If you don't want to go down that route but still want a bought pie then accept them for what they are, cheap but filling. a few beers will help to numb the taste buds. 55555

• Like 2

I own a pasty, pie and Devon Cider outlet here in Dongguan. I paid a lot of money out to bring in a Master Baker from the UK to advise and train my local staff .

Being hands on, I can assure everyone that the secret and the hardest part of a Pasty or Pie is in fact the Pastry and that, to get it right, especially in warm humid conditions is an art in itself. The secret is to ensure the Pastry preparation room is well air conditioned and that the time from making the pastry to putting into a decent oven is as short as possible.

In the six months we have been operating we are now making authentic Cornish Pasties, Vegetable Pasties, Quiche, Steak and Kidney Pies, Pork and Apple and Chicken Pies. And as from this week a genuine UK style Apple Pie.

The reviews we have had from customers and outlets is that these are as good as can be purchased in the UK, in fact a visiting Engineer from UK bought several pies which we froze and vacuumed packed which he took back to the UK with him.. coals to Newcastle ? Maybe !

Couple all of the above with a very decent award winning Devon Cider which we are the exclusive agents for here in China then life could be a lot worse.

As for Pukka pies, I have never had one for years and in recent times I have never heard a good word said about them but as the saying goes, one mans meat is another mans poison.

• Like 2