Thai 'Red Shirt' leaders end rally after violence

Lite Beer

Very clever move by the "reds" .

Ball in your court Suthep, he is now in a tough spot with a big rug pulled from under him.Needs to man up and admit he has lost again and let the country get back to Thai normal.

He can now join the amnesty crowd as he must have broken a boatload of laws.

Actually, nothing has changed from Suthep's point of view. Suthep wasn't protesting against the red shirts. The red shirts going home doesn't change the fact that the PTP government is still in power.

PTP is in power as they were elected, dems never will be elected

There are Democrats elected now.

Sent from my phone ...

Yet, but the north and north-east of Thailand will never give them enough votes to form a majoritytongue.png

Edited by Asiantravel

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very clever move by the "reds" .

Ball in your court Suthep, he is now in a tough spot with a big rug pulled from under him.Needs to man up and admit he has lost again and let the country get back to Thai normal.

He can now join the amnesty crowd as he must have broken a boatload of laws.

Actually, nothing has changed from Suthep's point of view.  Suthep wasn't protesting against the red shirts. The red shirts going home doesn't change the fact that the PTP government is still in power.

PTP is in power as they were elected, dems never will be elected

There are Democrats elected now.

Sent from my phone ...

Yet, but the north and north-east of Thailand will never give them enough votes to form a majorityPosted Image

They formed a majority with a coalition in 2008. Just as PPP did in 2007.

Sent from my phone ...

Lives wasted when calls were made to the red shirts to show the red power in Bangkok. Tell me I'm wrong!

What is this?...some foreign power came to invade the land that warranted the red leaders to call the red shirts to show up?

If the red leaders believe in the government, let the government handle the crisis. Tell me I'm wrong!

The people who are dead are all due to the calling by the red leaders. Tell me I'm wrong!

You're wrong.

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You ask for it "you are wrong" !!!!

Suthep is the responsible fro this undemocratic demonstrations and if you like it or not, he should be jailed

• Like 2

At least one side is showing some maturity and common sense and wants an end to the violence.  Now if only the yellow shirts would grow up and follow the lead and put an end to this Kaos.

The protestors had hundreds of thousands, without one incident of violence.  The reds gather for one day, get out their weapons and try to start it up.

They need to go home now and lick their wounds.  Let the adults handle things.

The protestors had never hundreds of thousand, the max that really gathered was 20.000 and ones they get opponents, the fights starts.

The Bangkok Post gave an estimate, with calculations and reasoning, of more than 300,000. Lots of estimates were in the 180,000 range.

It's interesting that as soon as the red shirts turned up there was violence.

Sent from my phone ...

I am Thai and I have family in Thailand. I have been watching news and interviews from RU students who were hiding in the building. All dead victims were students. The red shirts claimed that some of red shirts people were killed but imagine that if one of them was killed, they would not quit the rally easily and swiftly. There are cover ups from government. The PM Yingluk has not visited those wounded students, she did not show her concern of those students who were attacked.

The police made a statement that it was the fight among students.

I think you should also check other news sources rather than relying on information purely from anti-government sources. It's often highly misleading. If after checking other sources, you still don't believe red shirts died that night, click here, at your own risk (graphic picture of 23 year old red shirt shot in the head on Saturday night). I'm not even sure I should be posting that link, but it's on twitter, and sometimes nothing will convince except a picture. I feel the anti-govt side has done here exactly what the red shirts did in 2010 and tried to use deaths for political capital against the government. Of course, all protest movements do this, so it shouldn't be any surprise.

You may feel so, but that doesn't make it so, dear ES. For now we have four deaths only, no explanation, just 'thoughts on the matter'.

"The clashes erupted when a group of anti-government protesters, mostly composed of Ramkhamhaeng students, approached the vicinity of Rajamangala Stadium, where thousands of pro-government Redshirts protesters were holding their rally.

The violence which involved beating rival protesters and vandalising public vehicles in the afternoon deteriorated into street battles as night fell. Explosions and gunfire echoed in the area throughout the night, which forced the Redshirts leadership to call off their rally in the morning, citing concerns for the safety of their protesters."

I'm neither red nor yellow, but Suthep's call for people's council is just ridiculous. Does he mean, a council like the Chinese communist Central Committee? That's the only path I can see Suthep's proposal is going down. I just don't think that's what the Thais want to see. Edited by jackptoke

Lives wasted when calls were made to the red shirts to show the red power in Bangkok. Tell me I'm wrong!

What is this?...some foreign power came to invade the land that warranted the red leaders to call the red shirts to show up?

If the red leaders believe in the government, let the government handle the crisis. Tell me I'm wrong!

The people who are dead are all due to the calling by the red leaders. Tell me I'm wrong!

You're wrong.

Suthep is the responsible fro this undemocratic demonstrations and if you like it or not, he should be jailed

And what is your opinion of those that broke their conditions of bail, who, had they not turned up, it would have continued to be a peaceful protest.

How about them, should they be in jail, or should I say back in jail too?

You're wrong.

And what is your opinion of those that broke their conditions of bail, who, had they not turned up, it would have continued to be a peaceful protest.

How about them, should they be in jail, or should I say back in jail too?

The fact you even posted that just indicates something else that needs fixed in this debacle

I don't know how this country has survived without multiple coups and dissolutions of ruling parties - oh wait a minute whistling.gif

TBH we all know that the rule of law is a grey area here in Thailand, it's quite shocking for us falangs who have grown up with something entirely different - not perfect either but there is a genuine attemp

The protestors had hundreds of thousands, without one incident of violence. The reds gather for one day, get out their weapons and try to start it up.

They need to go home now and lick their wounds. Let the adults handle things.

The protestors had never hundreds of thousand, the max that really gathered was 20.000 and ones they get opponents, the fights starts.

The Bangkok Post gave an estimate, with calculations and reasoning, of more than 300,000. Lots of estimates were in the 180,000 range.

Sent from my phone ...

And equally interesting how, just ten days later, some are trying to re-write the numbers by 90% or more ? wink.png

Friends who attended on the first Sunday estimated, that by 9 am, the crowd had reached half-a-million ! Purely their own opinion, of course.

While I wouldn't believe the report (was it CNN ?) of one-to-two million, the Bangkok Post estimate looks entirely credible.

But some would like it to have been more than 90% less ? Why is that ?

Clearly there was a lot of opposition from regular ordinary people who turned-out, not just a few more-extreme groups, led by Suthep or PAD.

The protestors had hundreds of thousands, without one incident of violence. The reds gather for one day, get out their weapons and try to start it up.

They need to go home now and lick their wounds. Let the adults handle things.

Sent from my phone ...

And equally interesting how, just ten days later, some are trying to re-write the numbers by 90% or more ? wink.png

Friends who attended on the first Sunday estimated, that by 9 am, the crowd had reached half-a-million ! Purely their own opinion, of course.

While I wouldn't believe the report (was it CNN ?) of one-to-two million, the Bangkok Post estimate looks entirely credible.

Clearly there was a lot of opposition from regular ordinary people who turned-out, not just a few more-extreme groups, led by Suthep or PAD.

Some estimates were numbers nationally not just in Bangkok.

I can't find this Bangkok Post estimate. What's the article called? The largest I saw was from Reuters which suggested "up to 180,000".

You're wrong.

Actually it started with the Pheu Thai led government pushed through with two reading and two votes in slightly more than 24 hours a sneakily modified amnesty bill which suddenly covered from 2004 onwards and was a 'blanket amnesty'. That's when protests really started and for a moment even red-shirts denounced the government because of this.

So strictly speaking the PM Yingluck government is responsible for undemocratic behavior.

I can't find this Bangkok Post estimate. What's the article called? The largest I saw was from Reuters which suggested "up to 180,000".

"Were there a million? Or only 59,000?"

Well, that's still more than 20,000 some here have suggested.

BTW 2013-11-30

"While their numbers have fallen sharply since an estimated crowd of up to 180,000 people joined an opposition rally on November 24, the protesters have increasingly sought out high profile targets."

http://www.france24.com/en/20131130-thailand-protests-turn-violent-yingluck-shinawatra-bangkok

You may feel so, but that doesn't make it so, dear ES. For now we have four deaths only, no explanation, just 'thoughts on the matter'.

"The clashes erupted when a group of anti-government protesters, mostly composed of Ramkhamhaeng students, approached the vicinity of Rajamangala Stadium, where thousands of pro-government Redshirts protesters were holding their rally.

The violence which involved beating rival protesters and vandalising public vehicles in the afternoon deteriorated into street battles as night fell. Explosions and gunfire echoed in the area throughout the night, which forced the Redshirts leadership to call off their rally in the morning, citing concerns for the safety of their protesters."

I'm neither red nor yellow, but Suthep's call for people's council is just ridiculous. Does he mean, a council like the Chinese communist Central Committee? That's the only path I can see Suthep's proposal is going down. I just don't think that's what the Thais want to see.

More like a council in some right-leaning countries. The CCCC would be more what UDD leader Dr. weng has in mind.

I guess new elections late January/begin of February 2014 would be best. Plus a close watch of 'election only' promises.