Actor Paul Walker killed in car crash

bazmlb

I am surprised at how much is being made of his death. I never thought of him as a great acting talent, but more as someone who lucked into one particular role that he was well suited for and that brought him great success. This kind of reminds me of when Brandon Lee passed on and all of a sudden people were claiming that he had done a fantastic job in the movie that he was working on before he died, but before he kicked the bucket, his acting was considered somewhat of a joke.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Regardless of what we think, we will never know what he could have done.

He doesn't need to be made any bigger in death than he was in life. He brought a lot of joy to a lot of people. The same can't be said for many.

RIP

• Like 1

Regardless of what we think, we will never know what he could have done.

He doesn't need to be made any bigger in death than he was in life. He brought a lot of joy to a lot of people. The same can't be said for many.

RIP

From what I understand, the biggest thing about him was his heart, desire to help people and how gracious and nice he was to everyone. He was very into his charities and charity work both here and abroad.

He had a huge cult following among the younger generation.

Fast and Furious 6 alone brought in $ 788,000,000. That is huge by any standard.

He has been in more movies that just the Fast and Furious series and had 3 movies coming out in the next year. Sure, at the end of the day he was just another human, but he touched a lot of people and did a lot more to help people than most.

Seems weird that such an expensive car designed for racing is such a piece of crap/death trap? I guess if they had been in a Toyota they'd probably be fine, go figure.

http://www.tmz.com/2013/12/04/paul-walker-death-porsche-carrera-gt-lawsuit-accident-racetrack/

Paul Walker wasn't the first to allegedly experience mechanical issues inside a Porsche Carrera GT -- TMZ has learned, the car company was sued over a deadly 2005 crash involving the same vehicle ... and it paid dearly in a massive settlement.
According to the lawsuit, two men (a driver and his passenger) were killed on a California race track while driving a 2005 Carrera GT ... hitting a wall at over 100 MPH while trying to avoid another car on the track.
The family of the passenger sued practically everyone involved in the accident for gross negligence -- and won $4.5 million in a giant settlement ... $350,000 of which was paid by Porsche.
My favorite quote: "...sworn testimony from several Porsche experts confirmed a major design flaw with the GT is it doesn't have a Porsche Stability Management system."
In a documented interview, Mr. Walker once proudly claimed that he drove 185 MPH, on a freeway (public road in the U.S.).
(I love how he's not looking at the road for long periods of time during this interview!)
Anyway, he died doing something he loved, how many people get to have that said about them, post mortem?

Seems weird that such an expensive car designed for racing is such a piece of crap/death trap? I guess if they had been in a Toyota they'd probably be fine, go figure.

http://www.tmz.com/2013/12/04/paul-walker-death-porsche-carrera-gt-lawsuit-accident-racetrack/

Paul Walker wasn't the first to allegedly experience mechanical issues inside a Porsche Carrera GT -- TMZ has learned, the car company was sued over a deadly 2005 crash involving the same vehicle ... and it paid dearly in a massive settlement.

According to the lawsuit, two men (a driver and his passenger) were killed on a California race track while driving a 2005 Carrera GT ... hitting a wall at over 100 MPH while trying to avoid another car on the track.

The family of the passenger sued practically everyone involved in the accident for gross negligence -- and won $4.5 million in a giant settlement ... $350,000 of which was paid by Porsche.

My favorite quote: "...sworn testimony from several Porsche experts confirmed a major design flaw with the GT is it doesn't have a Porsche Stability Management system."

In a documented interview, Mr. Walker once proudly claimed that he drove 185 MPH, on a freeway (public road in the U.S.).

http://www.tmz.com/videos/0_gmusebky/

(I love how he's not looking at the road for long periods of time during this interview!)

Anyway, he died doing something he loved, how many people get to have that said about them, post mortem?

Another friend of mine, Ben Keaton, was driving in the 2005 incident. Internet marketing whiz Cory Rudl was a passenger. Rudl had a blue Lamborghini Murcielago spider, but did not like the way it handled. Ben took him for a ride around the track as Rudl was thinking about purchasing a CGT.

This was a Ferrari track day. The flag man at the pit exit lane did not see Ben and Cory and waived a Ferrari into the track. The Ferrari pulled out into Ben and Cory's path. They swerved to miss and ended up on the inside wall at 150 mph. Both died.

Cory's wife sued the event organizer, the track, Porsche and Ben's estate.

A $ 4.5 million dollar settle was reached. Porsche only paid 8% percent or cost of defense, $ 360,000. Ben's estate paid 49% and I cannot recall the apportionment of other defendants.

The Carrera GT is a high performance car not intended to have PSM. The CGT was intended and spec'ed for a racing series when designed.

GT2 and the GT3s from same time period did not PSM either nor do the 996, 997, and 991 GT3 Cup cars that I have raced for last 10 years.

I had a CGT in 05 and it was twitchy due to throttle oversteer from 610 hp when coming out of turns. I, however, am not bothered by throttle oversteer as I grew up racing various open wheel Formulas and they are also prone to throttle oversteer.

Porsche worked with Michelin to redesign the tires for the CGT and this resulted in the back end having much better grip.

There is nothing wrong with the CGT except people with more money than driving experience buy them and get into trouble. Things happen very quickly in cars this powerful and unskilled drivers can get in over the head in instant.

I believe we will be hearing one of two things with regard to Roger and Paul' incident: (1) steering fluid leak and failure; or (2) possible tire issue that has been spotted on video right before they pulled out.

From what I understand, the biggest thing about him was his heart, desire to help people and how gracious and nice he was to everyone. He was very into his charities and charity work both here and abroad.

Paul Walker secretly bought Iraq war veteran $9,000

engagement ring for his new wife after overhearing

the couple say it was too expensive

Good story. Thanks.

Seems weird that such an expensive car designed for racing is such a piece of crap/death trap?

A car sold for street use may have a counterpart version used for racing but is not the racing model.

Price would be unreachable for the majority & it would not be a pleasant car to drive on the street

It is not built with the same crash protection or power & electronics. The street model is inspired by the racing model but not the same in total construction.

people feeling the need to become amateur accident reconstructionist

and

I believe we will be hearing one of two things with regard to Roger and Paul' incident: (1) steering fluid leak and failure; or (2) possible tire issue

coming from the same person, sounds strange? Unless one is a "professional accident reconstructionist (sic)"?

Why not brake failure too? Seems like they had trouble stopping?

Sounds like he was a bit of a daredevil? If we are to believe him in his own words (video-taped interviews), and the words of concern of his father?

Paul Walker's Dad Reveals Eerie Last Conversation With His Son: I Told Him "Promise Me, No More Daredevil Stuff"

"I said, 'Promise me, no more daredevil stuff.' I said, 'If in your heart, you say, I can do this, then by all means, do it. If your mind says, maybe not. Then don't.' I looked at him, I said, 'Will you promise me that?'"

http://www.eonline.com/news/487648/paul-walker-s-dad-reveals-eerie-last-conversation-with-his-son-i-told-him-promise-me-no-more-daredevil-stuff

• Like 1

Actor Paul Walker, best known for his roles in the "Fast & Furious" action films, died from "combined effects of traumatic and thermal injuries" in a car accident, the Los Angeles County coroner said on Wednesday.

Walker, 40, was a passenger in a fiery one-car crash on Saturday in Santa Clarita, California, about 30 miles northwest of Los Angeles. The driver of the Porsche Carrera GT, Roger Rodas, died of multiple traumatic injuries, the coroner said.

As a result of Walker's death, Universal Pictures has put filming "Fast & Furious 7" on hold for an unspecified period. The film was slated to be released on July 11, 2014.

"At this time we feel it is our responsibility to shut down production on 'Fast & Furious 7' for a period of time so we can assess all options available to move forward with the franchise," Universal Pictures, a unit of Comcast Corp , said in a statement.

The coroner ruled that both deaths were accidents and said that the injuries occurred when the car struck a fixed object.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-paul-walker-dead-20131204,0,6303976.story

people feeling the need to become amateur accident reconstructionist

and

I believe we will be hearing one of two things with regard to Roger and Paul' incident: (1) steering fluid leak and failure; or (2) possible tire issue

coming from the same person, sounds strange? Unless one is a "professional accident reconstructionist (sic)"?

Why not brake failure too? Seems like they had trouble stopping?

Sounds like he was a bit of a daredevil? If we are to believe him in his own words (video-taped interviews), and the words of concern of his father?

Paul Walker's Dad Reveals Eerie Last Conversation With His Son: I Told Him "Promise Me, No More Daredevil Stuff"

"I said, 'Promise me, no more daredevil stuff.' I said, 'If in your heart, you say, I can do this, then by all means, do it. If your mind says, maybe not. Then don't.' I looked at him, I said, 'Will you promise me that?'"

http://www.eonline.com/news/487648/paul-walker-s-dad-reveals-eerie-last-conversation-with-his-son-i-told-him-promise-me-no-more-daredevil-stuff

Not my opinions. These are suspected causes conveyed to me and a video sent me by someone on the ground there and very close to the situation

Yet you didn't mention that until called up on it . . . and still no news about this being the case despite it coming from 'someone on the ground there and very close to the situation' . . .

. . . and as for:

This was a Ferrari track day. The flag man at the pit exit lane did not see Ben and Cory and waived a Ferrari into the track. The Ferrari pulled out into Ben and Cory's path. They swerved to miss and ended up on the inside wall at 150 mph. Both died.

. . . I can see why, in this litigious society, she sued Porsche and that this makes it a 'widow-maker' . . . 150mp/h against a wall and they didn't just walk off to the pub afterwards.

Edited by Sing_Sling

Yet you didn't mention that until called up on it . . . and still no news about this being the case despite it coming from 'someone on the ground there and very close to the situation' . . .

. . . and as for:

. . . I can see why, in this litigious society, she sued Porsche and that this makes it a 'widow-maker' . . . 150mp/h against a wall and they didn't just walk off to the pub afterwards.

Really, you guys have to be some miserable pathetic human beings . . .

A quick search would yield results in fluid leak. I believe I brought this up on page one or first day.

I have the tire video and pictures from video on my computer at work. If you really care, and doubt you do, I will email them to you. I am just inclined to think you prefer to be cynical, take jabs at the dead who were good people and act hillier than thou . . .

-----

The exotic sports car in which Paul Walker violently died, crashed as a result of mechanical failure -- very possibly a steering fluid leak ... this according to sources closely tied to the auto shop where the vehicle was stored and maintained.

The AE sources point to the fact there is a noticeable absence of skid marks until just before the point of impact. They say if Roger had lost control the skid marks would show swerving, but instead the marks were in a straight line. They feel this cements the theory the driver didn't have steering control.

http://m.tmz.com/#Article/2013/12/02/paul-walker-roger-rodas-deadly-accident-porsche-malfunction-fluid-leak

It always saddens me to see an obituary/notice of death be used as a platform to

take a shot at the deceased or to judge how that person chose to live or cause of death.

Thank you. Someone on here with some decency! Really low considering that both of the guys were good people who gave a lot of their time to help others.

. . . and as for:

Not really . . . but nice of you to say so, rather than address the issues . . . you speak of possibilities rather than fact and say nothing about suing Porsche for no apparent reason of liability

Thank you. Someone on here with some decency! Really low considering that both of the guys were good people who gave a lot of their time to help others.

I agree . . . though I had never heard of the driver . . .

You may get off your high horse now

This is a news report, not a eulogy - and please don't pretend you are the only one to feel saddened . . . and I'll refrain from getting personal and slagging you off. . . decorum

This article will blow you away. From the wedding ring for the soldier to millions helping Phillipines, Haiti, tornado damage victims, and poor children, he laid low and wanted no one to know he was footing the bill for all of this stuff in addition to being on front line with chainsaw in hand.

-----

Over the last three years, Paul was on the ground in destroyed villages of Haiti, Chile and Alabama and set up makeshift hospitals to areas ravaged by tsunamis and tornadoes, much to the amazement of local people - and unbeknown to many of his fans.

. . .

'Thats what Paul did. He was on the front line and inspired human beings, who were thinking the world doesnt give a damn about me. Paul did. Its beautiful to watch.

JD says Paul always foot the bills of these operations with the cost running into millions - apart from a $50,000 donation from the chainsaw producer Stihl after they saw what Paul was doing in Alabama.

. . .

Paul has put in millions; we wouldnt be here otherwise. He paid for the whole thing. In the Philippines, the locals were asking us: Who was funding you? Whos helping us? When we said Paul, they couldnt believe it, they said: Why would he do that?

. . .

But the charity works also works on a localized level in the US. They do a lot for the forgotten people and, before his death, Paul was making sure that poor children in Los Angeles were getting a gift on Christmas Day.

. . .

All of this was done without Paul ever once crowing about the charitys work to the media or even acquaintances.

JD says: He didnt want the organization to be about him. He wouldnt do publicity and wanted everyone to forget him being founder. We lost a brother in the trenches here; we all formed a bond for life. When you are seeing people lose everything, then that bond will always hold. He wasnt just a co-worker, he didnt just write the checks, he was on the field.

There are too many different ways to tell you how amazing he was. He would show up at kids birthday parties, but hed never be the centre of attention, hed avoid it. Its weird that today were all talking about him, as thats the anti-way Pauls always handled it.

Edited by F430murci
  • Like 1

According to witnesses, the red Porsche Carrera GT carrying Walker and his friend lost control and slammed into a tree and then a light pole. Walker, an unapologetic car lover, had been participating in the "Winter Drive" for Reach Out Worldwide, a toy drive and car meet charity event for disadvantaged children. Walker was also involved in humanitarian efforts in Chile and Haiti after the devastating earthquakes in both countries.

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure what this means exactly? 101 mph? 120 mph? Clearly though, speed seems to have been the primary factor rather than some mechanical failure. A tragic loss that could have been avoided with some common sense.

Coroner: Car carrying Paul Walker going 100-plus mph

Los Angeles (CNN) -- The Porsche carrying "Fast & Furious" star Paul Walker was speeding at more than 100 miles per hour when it crashed in November, killing the actor and a friend, according to the final coroner's report on the deaths. The 15-page report released Friday by the Los Angeles County coroner's office answered several questions that had been the subject of speculation about how Walker and racing team partner Roger Rodas died. The two men apparently did not live long after the high-performance 2005 Porsche Carrera GT, which was traveling at "approximately 100+ mph," slammed into a light post and tree and burst into flames, the report said.

. . . and as for:

A quick search would yield results in fluid leak. I believe I brought this up on page one or first day.

I have the tire video and pictures from video on my computer at work. If you really care, and doubt you do, I will email them to you. I am just inclined to think you prefer to be cynical, take jabs at the dead who were good people and act hillier than thou . . .

-----

The exotic sports car in which Paul Walker violently died, crashed as a result of mechanical failure -- very possibly a steering fluid leak ... this according to sources closely tied to the auto shop where the vehicle was stored and maintained.

The AE sources point to the fact there is a noticeable absence of skid marks until just before the point of impact. They say if Roger had lost control the skid marks would show swerving, but instead the marks were in a straight line. They feel this cements the theory the driver didn't have steering control.

http://m.tmz.com/#Article/2013/12/02/paul-walker-roger-rodas-deadly-accident-porsche-malfunction-fluid-leak

I guess coroners and investigators are also cynics who like acting 'hillier' <sic> than thou, yet they are, evidently, more accurate than blogs.

""The force of those collisions caused the vehicle to spin 180 degrees and continue in an easterly direction. The passenger side of the vehicle then struck another tree and burst into flames," it said.

"The vehicle was totalled with major traffic collision damage all around, and it appeared that the vehicle was almost split in half," the report added, saying: "The majority of the vehicle was also charred."

It said Walker's body "cannot be positively identified visually".

Rodas also suffered multiple injuries: his skull was fractured and his brain was exposed, the autopsy report said.

Investigators found no mechanical problems with the Porsche or problems with the roadway.

http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/celebrity/speed-may-have-been-factor-in-fast-and-furious-star-paul-walkers-crash-20140104-30a8v.html

Edited by Sing_Sling