Situation in the capital is still tense after tear gas fired at protesters

Lite Beer

where is abhisit?... he seems to be the only one (on either side) with a smidgen of sense

Abhisit is demonstrating why he is a very weak and vain man.

A true statesman would be calling for restraint on the streets. He would be offering solutions, perhaps mediation. Instead, he is keeping his head down, probably to see which way the situation goes, before he will make an appearance. If only this country had a real opposition party we wouldn't see half the problems we have now.

Abhisit is not in a good position to do so. He cannot stand against Suthep in public, he can do it in private -- and I would not be surprised if he did talk directly to Suthep.... but if he did it in public and Suthep would not modify his stand after a private meeting.... it would do nothing but split the power base.... a disaster.... it would end his political career and serve no purpose.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thailand does not have a proportional representation system but a mixture of a direct vote and a party list. Each voter votes twice - once for their individual choice & once for their party of choice.

Yingluck was on the party list. What the 'elections are the only answer' dingbats don't realise is that her party - PTP - does not hold internal elections for PM. There is no internal democracy within that party - all positions, including YL's - are selected by one (crook) person - her brother.

I find it so difficult to understand how an almost totally peaceful series of demonstrations can be disrupted by those oh so peaceful red shirts. They never resort to intimidation & violence and would never attack their opponents. I'm hoping to get a red shirt from Santa this year. wink.png.pagespeed.ce.HJgPQ3U3SA.png

maybe if you are lucky santa shall give you an M79 Grenade launcher to blow up soe buildings and some 16's for their next revolt )

Thailand does not have a proportional representation system but a mixture of a direct vote and a party list. Each voter votes twice - once for their individual choice & once for their party of choice.

Yingluck was on the party list. What the 'elections are the only answer' dingbats don't realise is that her party - PTP - does not hold internal elections for PM. There is no internal democracy within that party - all positions, including YL's - are selected by one (crook) person - her brother.

I find it so difficult to understand how an almost totally peaceful series of demonstrations can be disrupted by those oh so peaceful red shirts. They never resort to intimidation & violence and would never attack their opponents. I'm hoping to get a red shirt from Santa this year. wink.png.pagespeed.ce.HJgPQ3U3SA.png

maybe if you are lucky santa shall give you an M79 Grenade launcher to blow up soe buildings and some 16's for their next revolt )

http://news.sky.com/story/1176026/thai-pm-flees-building-during-violent-protests

Fleeling to where? She is on the run now..

For those not able to view the UK sky news link; its reporting the Thai PM has fled the police sports club in which she was (hiding) based after protesters breached the security.

Why not use the statement she used during the flooding: We (me and Thaksin) have everything under control now, no need to worry clap2.gif

A coup led by Suthep would cause considerable problems for the US since the laws of the US would require suspending any financial support for the new government that is not democratically elected..... and that would not be taken lightly since Thailand is the centre of CIA operations in the region. The only other country in the region with as important ties is Singapore.

They went through that last time. The amount of direct financial assistance is not significant these days.

There are so many levels to this I would not be that quick to dismiss them. If there were not SIGNIFICANT financial interests.... Thailand would not have been so quick to extradite Viktor Bout to the US.... they would have allowed him to leave Thailand (especially with all the pressure Russia was applying).
It was about 50mn USD. And they went ahead and did it anyway because the government wrote them an increase in budget instantly.

The CIA and thai army probably compare notes about regime change.

Edited by Thai at Heart