Thailand protest leader Suthep gives PM Yingluck 'two-day ultimatum'

webfact

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is like watching a Hong Kong Triad movie.

There has never been a true peoples uprising in human history.
Social upheavals have always been brought about by the elites from behind the scenes using the people as a front. It is simple economic warfare that ensues when the trough gets to small for the number of snouts to fit comfortably around it, they start eating their own kind, and the little people can go eat cake.

It is just a shame that so many young under educated people will have to give up their lives so that the puppet masters can play their game of thrones.

• Like 2

Thai protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban says he has met PM Yingluck Shinawatra and given her two days to "return power to the people".

When is the power ever really in the hands of the people?

You vote and then you can sit and wait for four years.

Suppose Yingluck does not 'surrender' in the next two days, and three days, how many protesters will actually continue through December 5?

Suthep, basically, accuses the Thaksin clan of playing above the law, disregarding the law, it's one of the reasons he wants them out.

However, it doesn't look like peaceful protests will achieve Suthep's goals. Now he is giving ultimatums, which means he will resort to

tougher actions, non-peaceful actions (he will probably not go sit in a park or stadium and blow whistles 24 hours straight) if the latest ultimatum is not met.

This means he will resort to unlawful actions, thus disregarding the law. He will disregard the law to kick out certain people for disregarding the law.

well more fool you for believing that Suthep has anything but his own interests at heart and is prepared to see his own countrymen die to further his own self-interest. And yes, he is just like the other gentleman often mentioned on this forum. If these ultra nationalists come to power I fear for we foreigners in Thailand. Prepare to see your assets seized if you run a small business here. Prepare to be see qualification to right of abode restricted to a few necessary aliens. The nationalists hate foreigners. We will be next

I never said I believed in him specifically. My factory setting is always extreme scepticism re; any politician. I believe in democracy, and so I supported the peaceful massprotest which is part of a healthy functioning democracy.

On the foreigners issue I think Thailand as a nation *knows* that it needs all the incoming money it can get (whether they admit it or not), and any sudden falangicide action will see Thailand lose so much money overnight she will be left with nothing but her eyes to cry with.

coffee1.gif

Sad to see these posters insisting that the hi so's are stupid and think Thailand does not need the expat and tourist money.

Even sadder is that they are clueless ask them to name the ones pulling all the strings they will tell you Thaksin and have no more names.

Always it is the mysterious Amarat. They are incapable of seeing that these mysterious dark shadows have been around all the time and yet it is still easy to get a visa to live here.

Wake up people they want us we are a very important part of their economy. They are not dummies.

Read more carefully. Foreign capital and investment is extremely important to Thailand. So is the foreign expertise and export markets. These will not be affected. But those pulling the strings do not have any interest in the small guy who may be has invested his life savings in a restaurant or who may have setup a small manufacturing outfit here. And all the guys married to Issan girls putting big dollars into red parts of the country is not what the amart wants to see.

If the ultra nationalists get into power, watch how things will change for us foreigners.

V day was a failure for Suthep and his paymasters in the Ruling Elite. It was a success for the police who for once managed to prevent the illegal occupation of government offices. Ultimately it will be a success for democracy and the so called 'Democrat party' must now rethink its political raison d'etre: It needs to realise that the country has a large poor majority -both rural and urban and campaign accordingly. The government is far from perfect - in many ways it is deeply flawed - but is the democratic choice of the people and that must be respected.

Whether the ruling elite like it or not their day has passed. Increasingly they will have to obey the law, pay all their taxes and accept that they are citizens with no more rights than other citizens. They also have to accept that just because someone hasn't managed to buy a university degree like they did, it does not make them any less a citizen.

Finally, at some point, they must accept that Thaksin Shinawatra is and remains a key figure in this country and they would be better served with him here than in dubai throwing stones. He has been in the news almost everyday since his 1006 overthrow. time to negotiate his return.

I don't disagree with some of your fundamentals. Both sides want power and control and have little interest in democracy. The current government have been caught cheating, breaking the law, refusing to accept the law and lying. There's no way they can go on.

The main protest, which came from such a wide variety of society - people, business, academics,doctors, nurses, etc was to protest the whitewash amnesty bill, which was only changed to benefit Thaksin. The only was he can come back now would be to serve is sentence, appear in court on other charges, and retire from politics. His desire appears completely the opposite - return absolved of all former misdoings, and take full unchecked power. It's hard to imagine an effective negotiation from such polarized views. Many of these protesters left after the Senate rejected this bill, although we know PTP have only suspended it.

Suthep hi-jacked the rest of the protest, upping the demands and agenda. Now we have an impasse. Yingluck has been instructed not to resign, dissolve the house and allow an election. The amnesty bill would be killed, and the 2.2 trillion and 350 million baht would not be secured. Also, too risky to go to polls at the moment given PTP's low popularity. Suthep will keep the pressure on, and Yingluck has no room for manouvere. At some point, she will have to give in to his demands or order the police to clear the protesters. The former her brother will not allow, the latter will provoke violence. The positions of 2010 are now reversed.

Yingluck has to hope for some respite this week due to the 5th. And her only strategy now seems to be to lie low and contain the protesters as long as possible, hoping they run out of steam.

So. It boils down to which elite you want. Because make no mistake,Yingluck IS elitist. Your choice is communist elite or capitalist elite. This leaves a vacuum in the middle where most reside. Either way, the populace pays.

Well...almost right!

I think, it is elite disguised as "for the poor" and elite not disguised as "for the elite"...but both just there to fill their own pockets and go on a crazy power- trip, leaving everybody else in their dust and dirt.

The amart see the poor as cheap, compliant labour to enrich themselves. Thaksin sees the poor as consumers to enrich himself. The poor get shafted either way.

that is true but the bigger danger is the amart clinging to their power and obviously they use the threat of "Thaksinism" to frighten the middle classes but they forget most Thais support Thaksin far more than the amart and therein lies the problem (for them)

I have a hard time believing that the BBC persist on using that impartial ignoramus Jonathon Head to cover any Thai related story. It was sickening to see him molly-coddling Yingluck the other day through an interview that should have been asking searching questions, instead he just sat mesmerized making gentle cooing sounds, all starry-eyed at Yingluck who was wearing some sort of Geisha makeup. Preposterous.

I did not follow the BBC in 2010 but I had heard they were just as wide of the mark as they are today. Also heard CNN was the same. No telling what fox was and is now.

We as English speaking people have the best chance of getting closest to the reality on Air Asia News. I caught the last part of an interview with Yingluck there. It was a pre scripted interview as no hard hitting questions were asked and the dumbest answers accepted.

The BBC were pretty off the mark in 2010 too. They insist on referring to Thaksin's government being overthrown in 2006 whilst never mentioning he was an illegal self-appointed care-taker at the time, They also refer to him as "exiled" leader rather than mentioning that he is a convicted criminal fugitive on the run and facing more criminal charges should he return without a whitewash. I've emailed the BBC but of course, never get a reply.

The CNN and BBC interviews with Yingluck were similar. No difficult questions or challenges to answers which were often not really relevant to the question. Both looked very sympathetic. Head is awful, even by BBC standards.

I often find Al Jareeza better than the BBC !

A people's coup? Have the protest leaders really used those words? How democratic.

And a new constitution BEFORE new elections? How about a new election, then a new constitution?

I do not believe anything any side says anymore. It all propaganda crap. Mob mentality is back again.

Just like 2010, the protesters make unreasonable demands and pretend they make the decisions.

I think Yingluck's next move should be dissolving parliament.

Let's see how many votes this "People Democratic" council gets then. Can you say Democratic Peoples Junta of Thailand?

Led by so-called good people who are more equal than others.

You're absolutely right there; a Peoples Coup is exactly what Suthep is aiming for.

He has zero interest in a reelection in the current climate as he's well aware that PTP/YL would get back in and he's determined to squeeze them out completely. He would seize power and make sweeping changes and seek to gain some political momentum before calling any new election.

How long would the Peoples Democratic Junta be in power before new elections?... your guess as good as mine but it could be years!

• Like 1

So. It boils down to which elite you want. Because make no mistake,Yingluck IS elitist. Your choice is communist elite or capitalist elite. This leaves a vacuum in the middle where most reside. Either way, the populace pays.

Well...almost right!

I think, it is elite disguised as "for the poor" and elite not disguised as "for the elite"...but both just there to fill their own pockets and go on a crazy power- trip, leaving everybody else in their dust and dirt.

The amart see the poor as cheap, compliant labour to enrich themselves. Thaksin sees the poor as consumers to enrich himself. The poor get shafted either way.

that is true but the bigger danger is the amart clinging to their power and obviously they use the threat of "Thaksinism" to frighten the middle classes but they forget most Thais support Thaksin far more than the amart and therein lies the problem (for them)

Do you have any proof for your last assumption ? The cross sections of society protesting about the bill to whitewash Thaksin and bring him home free would suggest he's not so well supported as you claim.

'auspices' well another report says 'in the presence of'. (Dictionary definition of auspices is below).

Quite different meaning and in reality very meaningful in the whole scenario.

"The protesters had declared Sunday the decisive "V-Day" of what they termed a "people's coup".

Well Mr. Head, is that a correct interpretation of what the majority / the leaders were saying? The word 'coup' has major connotations in this matter. Did the protestors say this actual word (in Thai) Mr. Head?

"They say Ms Yingluck's administration is controlled by her brother, exiled ex-leader Thaksin Shinawatra, and they want to replace it with a "People's Council"."

Mr. Head you are a highly experienced journalist, one would expect that you are careful in your choice of words. Should the words be 'self-exiled ex-leader?

Definition of auspices:

Noun 1. auspices - kindly endorsement and guidance; "the tournament was held under the auspices of the city council"
endorsement, indorsement - the act of endorsing; "a star athlete can make a lot of money from endorsements"

auspices

plural noun support, backing, control, charge, care, authority, championship, influence, protection, guidance, sponsorship, supervision, patronage, advocacy, countenance, aegis a peace conference under the auspices of the UN

Even your choice of words could have been chosen a little better;

"They say Ms Yingluck's administration is controlled by her brother, exiled ex-leader Thaksin Shinawatra, and they want to replace it with a "People's Council"."

"Mr. Head you are a highly experienced journalist, one would expect that you are careful in your choice of words. Should the words be 'self-exiled ex-leader?"

The words "exiled ex-leader" surely should be 'convicted criminal, fugitive from justice and ex-leader.'

V day was a failure for Suthep and his paymasters in the Ruling Elite. It was a success for the police who for once managed to prevent the illegal occupation of government offices. Ultimately it will be a success for democracy and the so called 'Democrat party' must now rethink its political raison d'etre: It needs to realise that the country has a large poor majority -both rural and urban and campaign accordingly. The government is far from perfect - in many ways it is deeply flawed - but is the democratic choice of the people and that must be respected.

Whether the ruling elite like it or not their day has passed. Increasingly they will have to obey the law, pay all their taxes and accept that they are citizens with no more rights than other citizens. They also have to accept that just because someone hasn't managed to buy a university degree like they did, it does not make them any less a citizen.

Finally, at some point, they must accept that Thaksin Shinawatra is and remains a key figure in this country and they would be better served with him here than in dubai throwing stones. He has been in the news almost everyday since his 1006 overthrow. time to negotiate his return.

He has been able to come back from the day that he left with or without a Thai passport or any other kind for that matter.

He did not come back because he was and still facing a 2 year jail sentence. In addition to that there are about 6 or more outstanding charges against him awaiting his return.

That is why he will not return until he gets amnestied and that is what the last 2 plus years of the PTP has been all about.

He has always claimed that the charges at the court were politically motivated BUT he, through his proxy PM, wants to change the laws politically to find him innocent of everything.

Is this the same guy I saw on TV not long ago? Minus tooth brush mo and German he very much reminded me of Hitler. The government should stand down and call fresh elections now but I hope this nutter does not get elected. I suspect another military coup is in the wings.

Edited by sbk
No references to HM the King please

Of course what Suthep is saying is outrageous. It doesn't matter. It's not intended to be implemented. He's playing a very useful role for the opposition .. bringing the Govt down.

You've nailed it. Protest leaders can't fire up the crowd by just asking for something tame like the PM's resignation or a dissolution of Parliament. They need to fire up the imaginations of their supporters and Suthep, almost as an afterthought, has come up with some pretty good reform suggestions that unfortunately cannot be implemented within the constitutional framework.

I am not sure exactly what he is really hoping for but it must be something like a dissolution of Parliament and an exit from politics of Yingluck which will make it very hard for Thaksin to find another family replacement and he can't trust anyone outside the clan. The military has shown its displeasure with the government by bringing in the King's Guard to rescue the Ramkhamhaeng students and telling the police to stop tear gassing people. Suthep probably feels that by pushing a little harder the government might keel over.

The military is key. Although they are not interested in staging a coup, they are needed to back up the police, if things get seriously out of control. The police have started stepping up riot control methods and will probably kill some one pretty soon. Without the military back-up and unable to use their firearms without dire consequences police could get overrun in key locations like the National Police HQ which is hard to defend in a busy commercial area with several entrances and the Metropolitan Police Bureau. The police on duty at these locations, dragged down from upcountry, are demoralised by facing angry protestors accusing them of not loving the King and being turkeys for Thaksin.

Edited by Dogmatix

It is unfair to say that Suthep's actions led to loss of life when it is the Red shirts who are running round shooting people. The government's actions allowing their private militia onto the streets with guns in their hands and stupidity in their heads led to the deaths....

Only the rule of Thai law as served in the Thai court will decide if it is unfair or not. This of course only after all the evidence has been publicly examined and cross examined. Thai-Visa board members have no say whatsoever in the matter.

Then if after the honorable Mr. Shuthep and Mr. Abhisit are found guilty of murder they will be given the chance to appeal. The right to appeal is given so as to make certain that they get the justice they both so very much deserve. If found guilty they will receive the sentences they deserve, either that or a general amnesty will be passed to clear the whole ugly mess into the past so Thailand can get back on the track of development. (Isn't that where this whole current kerfuffle started anyway)?

Strategists can see this is check, not check-mate.

Edited by 96tehtarp

A "democratic" (in the context of Thailand where we expect everyone to cheat) election does not necessarily result in a democratic Government.

I think this Govt's and PTP's actions once in power re manipulation of so-called "independent" institutions and disregard of of the other balancing branches of Govt are what many would say define it as being undemocratic.

Yes it's correct if we speak of elections only ... it can be said that the democrats bought votes and thus their election was not entirely legitimate .... just the same as it can be said that .... PTP bought votes and thus their election was not entirely legitimate.

Of course what Suthep is saying is outrageous. It doesn't matter. It's not intended to be implemented. He's playing a very useful role for the opposition .. bringing the Govt down.

You've nailed it. Protest leaders can't fire up the crowd by just asking for something tame like the PM's resignation or a dissolution of Parliament. They need to fire up the imaginations of their supporters and Suthep, almost as an afterthought, has come up with some pretty good reform suggestions that unfortunately cannot be implemented within the constitutional framework.

I am not sure exactly what he is really hoping for but it must be something like a dissolution of Parliament and an exit from politics of Yingluck which will make it very hard for Thaksin to find another family replacement and he can't trust anyone outside the clan. The military has shown its displeasure with the government by bringing in the King's Guard to rescue the Ramkhamhaeng students and telling the police to stop tear gassing people. Suthep probably feels that by pushing a little harder the government might keel over.

The military is key. Although they are not interested in staging a coup, they are needed to back up the police, if things get seriously out of control. The police have started stepping up riot control methods and will probably kill some one pretty soon. Without the military back-up and unable to use their firearms without dire consequences police could get overrun in key locations like the National Police HQ which is hard to defend in a busy commercial area with several entrances and the Metropolitan Police Bureau. The police on duty at these locations, dragged down from upcountry, are demoralised by facing angry protestors accusing them of not loving the King and being turkeys for Thaksin.

I think the end game is a negotiation for a dissolution of Parliament ... and (what we probably won't hear about) agreement that in return for something Thaksin wants ..... none from the Thaksin clan/mob will run for re-election. PTP would be running without Thaksin's money or any of his relatives.

Isn't this the 4th or 5th ultimatimum Suthep has given himself and/or others?

He's a bit over optimistic each time.

I would like to know if his sentiment and motives is really shared by a majority of the Thai people.

But since he does not want any democratic election, we will therefore not know how the

majority votes, i.e. how the majority thinks.

Vote-buying during elections is one of Suthep's main points for his revolt.

But, if democratic elections in general mean that voters vote as they want, then one can argue

that even having a democratic election where votes are bought, it is still a democratic election,

because the voters vote as they want. They made their own decision.

Admittedly, their (bought) votes are based on money received, but that money is

basically an incentive, and don't most political parties run on incentives, if not cash hand-outs

then their policies and promises that appeal to a certain group (and it usually appeals because

the voter think his life will improve, financially and otherwise, i.e. his own benefit).

By the way, most stories from Thais I've heard about vote buying also include that many will

happily receive the hand-out and then proceed on their way still voting as they themselves prefer.

Of course, in Thailand, one could ask, if there were no vote buying, how many voters could make

their own decision how to vote after considering all election programs. My guess is they would still

be persuaded by populist policies. How many farmers would understand the macro-economics of

the rice scheme and vote against it despite knowing they would get a higher price for their rice?

I think they only look at the latter. There would be no vote-buying, but there would be fancy promises.

Having said this, I know the other gripe most Thais have is the corruption, graft, self-enrichment etc

after the elections are over. But corruption is something not limited to government, it is in fact part of Thai culture.

Many will recall recent polls where Thais have admitted that corruption is ok if it benefits them personally.

With that attitude, just replacing the people in the government, whether in another government or a council,

does not guarantee a clean government. How many people can resist easily skimming off

say Baht 10 million from some government infra-structure project, knowing it would go unnoticed?

The attitude needs to change. How is Suthep going to do that?

Actually Suthep's main thrust seems to be not vote buying but that the government has lost legitimacy due to its declaration of refusal to acknowledge the authority of the Constitutional Court and its refusal to withdraw the Senate reform bill which the PM had already sent to the Palace for HMK's signature without waiting for the Constitutional Court ruling that ruled teh bill unconstitutional. According to the constitution the court has the authority to uphold the constitution and the HMK has 90 days to approve legislation submitted by Parliament. So this is indeed a constitutional crisis waiting to unfold whether Suthep was there or not.

Harking back to 1954 something similar happened when the Land Code was submitted to the King for signature containing a clause limiting Thais to ony 50 rai of land which many regarded as unconstitutional. There was no Constitutional Court to rule on such matters in those days and HMK signed the bill on the last day of the 90 days permitted by the constitution at the time. Not long afterwards the government was booted out in a military coup and the offending clause in the Land Code was found unconstitutional by the Supreme Court and repealed. If it had remained in force, Thailand might look very different today.

I think the end game is a negotiation for a dissolution of Parliament ... and (what we probably won't hear about) agreement that in return for something Thaksin wants ..... none from the Thaksin clan/mob will run for re-election. PTP would be running without Thaksin's money or any of his relatives.

Could he resist it?

read the anti-western speech that Suthep gave in January of this year. He blames western infiltration for many of Thailand's problems and wants westerners out of the country. Did you buy a condo in Pattaya?

Really?

I would have thought that would have been a very popular topic here in TVF.

I think you have an overactive imagination.

Unless of course you can go and fetch some evidence of the anti-western speech to support your claims, if not... then go back to sleep.

Don't know about the January speech claimed above, but Suthep's certainly expressed strong opinions on farang before.

'THAILAND on Thursday dismissed suggestions that foreign observers were needed to monitor its upcoming election, with the deputy prime minister saying he does ‘not respect’ Westerners.

It would be ‘inappropriate’ to allow outside involvement in the poll, which is due in June or July and comes after deadly street protests last year, said Suthep Thaugsuban.

‘I don’t respect ‘farangs’. We do not have to surrender to them,‘ he said, using the Thai word for ‘Westerners’.

I am surprised that Red Shirts do not respect our country’s sovereignty… I don’t understand why they constantly call for foreign involvement, it is inappropriate,’ Mr Suthep told reporters.'

http://asiancorrespondent.com/51084/thailand-rejects-foreign-election-observers/

Could he resist it?

Maybe not .... if the pressure increases a bit more .... the Govt will have to really want to negotiate not simply say it. ... so what could bring this about ..... ?

He is pretty much saying "step down and let us control the country, or the violence will continue". He attempts to use the death toll and violence as a tool to his advantage.

It does not get much more disgusting than that folks.

Edited by meand
  • Like 1

'auspices' well another report says 'in the presence of'. (Dictionary definition of auspices is below).

Quite different meaning and in reality very meaningful in the whole scenario.

"The protesters had declared Sunday the decisive "V-Day" of what they termed a "people's coup".

Well Mr. Head, is that a correct interpretation of what the majority / the leaders were saying? The word 'coup' has major connotations in this matter. Did the protestors say this actual word (in Thai) Mr. Head?

Mr. Head you are a highly experienced journalist, one would expect that you are careful in your choice of words. Should the words be 'self-exiled ex-leader?

Definition of auspices:

Noun 1. auspices - kindly endorsement and guidance; "the tournament was held under the auspices of the city council"
endorsement, indorsement - the act of endorsing; "a star athlete can make a lot of money from endorsements"

auspices

plural noun support, backing, control, charge, care, authority, championship, influence, protection, guidance, sponsorship, supervision, patronage, advocacy, countenance, aegis a peace conference under the auspices of the UN

Self exiled ?? he was out of the country when the cowards did the coup ..... so sure not self-exiled.

I have a hard time believing that the BBC persist on using that impartial ignoramus Jonathon Head to cover any Thai related story. It was sickening to see him molly-coddling Yingluck the other day through an interview that should have been asking searching questions, instead he just sat mesmerized making gentle cooing sounds, all starry-eyed at Yingluck who was wearing some sort of Geisha makeup. Preposterous.

thats so true!!

he spent the interview asking her if she would prefer to go back to her day job (running a business, not a government).

he at least could have asked her about her vote buying !!! at least ONE question to make a fool of her !

he asked NOTHING of any importance!

http://asiancorrespondent.com/116697/vote-buying-thaksin-and-the-democrats/

Sorry but the democrat party leader says that the democrats outspent PTP and still lost.

Korn says that vote buying is a very minor issue and does not determine elections.

• Like 2

i think the government should give suthep a 2 day ultimatum

why should they give Suthep a 2 day ultimatum?

Yingluck is just as illegal as Suthep is.

if they hold another election, she will win again because she PAYS MONEY for people to vote!!!

so whats the point in having any election when its a big fraud ? !!

if suthep gets a People Council into power, then it is no more illegal than Yingluks current government!

and I think that its worth a shot.

it cant be any more corrupt than the shinawata family!!

i'm sure this new Peoples council will also0 have their corruption too... but i am sure they will put more back into the country (and less in their own pockets) than Shinawata did !!

i am sure they might also actually try to do something about the police and known corruption up and down the country.

i believe the DESERVE a shot at it.

but dont say suthep is illegal,, coz so is yingluck and thaksin from their vote buying.

Edited by easybullet3

http://asiancorrespondent.com/116697/vote-buying-thaksin-and-the-democrats/

Sorry but the democrat party leader says that the democrats outspent PTP and still lost.

Korn says that vote buying is a very minor issue and does not determine elections.

The votes are a minor part of the political power which Thaksin's money buys. I wasn't talking about the votes. I am talking about reality.