Expat to run 999 kms in Thailand to raise fund to help street dogs

webfact

I hope he will run in the many Sois pestered with vicious street dogs. Wearing short pants, of course.

Q

I agree after been bitten 3 times here I have no time for soi dogs . I commend his charitable nature but question his intended benefactors .

After recently visiting the local children's hospital and seeing how kids with cancer are treated and the very substandard facilities along with many other diseases the underfunded over worked hospice is I . just cannot see how any right thinking person could run for a soi dog when their own kind is suffering from underfunding Espcially an innocent child .

You seem to suffer from the delusion that someone who wants to help dogs can't think about anything else. I give money to the RSPCA and the Red Cross on a monthly basis as well as other charities.

How do you define 'their own kind'? If you're not Thai are they your own kind? If you are Thai but from perhaps Bangkok are people from Isaan your own kind since they are ethnically different?

I agree with you that helping a hospice or any charity that helps the sick is a good idea but remember a lot of these dogs are pets and often in families with children who will be upset by the loss.

It's not easy in Thailand-(for Thais) but why not FENCE your land off ??? stealing is kept to a minimum--no street dogs no one gets bitten.

All this other talk is of no help really.

Set up laws and have dogs taken to local compounds for re adopt-treated. Local government corrupt money will sort this out. EASY

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He should take the money and start a spaying & neutering program and get rid of all the homeless dogs. There should only be a dog that has a home with caring owners who will be responsible for their pets, WAIT! HAHAHAHAHA I forgot this is Thailand. NEVERMIND MY BAD.

I hope he will run in the many Sois pestered with vicious street dogs. Wearing short pants, of course.

Q

I agree after been bitten 3 times here I have no time for soi dogs . I commend his charitable nature but question his intended benefactors .

After recently visiting the local children's hospital and seeing how kids with cancer are treated and the very substandard facilities along with many other diseases the underfunded over worked hospice is I . just cannot see how any right thinking person could run for a soi dog when their own kind is suffering from underfunding Espcially an innocent child .

You seem to suffer from the delusion that someone who wants to help dogs can't think about anything else. I give money to the RSPCA and the Red Cross on a monthly basis as well as other charities.

How do you define 'their own kind'? If you're not Thai are they your own kind? If you are Thai but from perhaps Bangkok are people from Isaan your own kind since they are ethnically different?

I agree with you that helping a hospice or any charity that helps the sick is a good idea but remember a lot of these dogs are pets and often in families with children who will be upset by the loss.

No not delusional I just have clear ideas as to what I regard as good causes and ones that are well meant but to me misguided .

As to "my kind "I find your comment highly offensive as " my kind " is the whole human race and for you to make a comment like that makes me question your views on racism

As for donating to charities great they need all the money they can get but have you ever entertained the idea of getting out from behind your computer/lounge chair and actually helping with the care of people /animals or is just giving money a "feel good " thing for you . I spend up to 20 hrs a week working with sick and handicapped children and it is very rewarding . For your information I am Australian .

It's not easy in Thailand-(for Thais) but why not FENCE your land off ??? stealing is kept to a minimum--no street dogs no one gets bitten.

Set up laws and have dogs taken to local compounds for re adopt-treated. Local government corrupt money will sort this out. EASY

Good news. Good man. When there's a run to stop the cattle, swine, poultry, sea creatures, etc. trade, count me in.

Or, you could do it yourself w/o waiting.

Of course, only if you believe strongly enough rolleyes.gif

Having been attacked by dogs on several occasions in Thailand, I have mixed feelings about what this brave man is going to attempt. One cannot help but admire his dedication to what he clearly sees as a worthy cause. But. . .

The dog meat trade is just one bi-product of Thais' ambivalence towards dogs which encourages them to be fed, watered and allowed to breed at random without anybody taking responsibility for the results.

I have seen Thais inflict incredible cruelty on dogs and encourage their children to do so. Yet every evening in my neighbourhood well-meaning locals leave food at the side of the road for strays. As a result, they breed like - well, like soi dogs.

Presumably, animals bagged for the pot are those which have surrogate, if not legal, owners and are in reasonable physical condition. So many of the street dogs I come across are diseased bags of sun-burned skin and bone whose lives must be a living hell. If they have owners, Lord only knows what kind of people they must be.

Whatever their condition, these street dogs breed unchecked and have become a form of pollution which needs to be eradicated. Eating them is, for reasons already stated, is hardly a practical solution. When I lived in Hua Hin I was told unofficial culling was carried out periodically, but this does seem to be the case where I live now and a walk or bicycle ride has become a dangerous pastime - particularly for children.

If people cannot be persuaded to take responsibility for their pets by friendly persuasion, perhaps an annual cull is the only solution. Right now, having just fended off a pair of belligerent local dogs with my faithful pitching wedge on my way back from the driving range, I'd happily volunteer to cycle a fair few kilometers to sponsor such an initiative.

Sorry, dog lovers. But loving you doesn't mean I have to love your dirty, dangerous and uncontrolled pet.

Guess a public warning has no meaning for some. Last post deleted, look people everyone chooses their own causes and just because its not something you believe in does not make it less worthwhile and your own more so.

You are not the be all and end all of determining causes.

If you don't ahve anythign to contribute except pointless nasty rants then don't bother. Nobody is asking you to give him money or believe in his cause.

• Like 1

That's a good and positive story.

However, considering the reasons for dog meat trade, particularly in SE Asia (i.e. there are a lot of people that like to eat dogs so there is money to be made),

it would be the same as saying one will run 999 kilometers to convince people to rethink consuming beer.

My point is: to tell someone (in SE Asia !!) who likes to eat dogs, to stop eating dogs, is like telling someone who likes to drink beer to stop drinking beer.

They both love what they do/consume.

<deleted>
  • Like 1

In ten years here I've never met a vicious street dog. I've met a few scared or territorial ones though. I imagine if I was to show aggression or fear I might then perceive them as vicious.

• Like 1

I have a well to do neighbor who has a dog in a 2x2 mt space, it's claws are twisted and 2 inches long, sores all over it's hairless body, diseased , and ill fed. it cannot get out, what can I do ???? t

What have you tried to do?

Q

My "own kind" is closer to dogs than humans. Some of them anyway.

Guess a public warning has no meaning for some. Last post deleted, look people everyone chooses their own causes and just because its not something you believe in does not make it less worthwhile and your own more so.

You are not the be all and end all of determining causes.

If you don't ahve anythign to contribute except pointless nasty rants then don't bother. Nobody is asking you to give him money or believe in his cause.

yes agreed in the sense about nasty rants but we have the right to voice our opinion on such matters otherwise this would not be an open forum .

You have no rights, and it's not an open forum. It's a commercial entity not the united nations.

What all these foundations and there appears to be a lot of them helping the dogs in Thailand need to do is to focus on sterilising the animals and not just feeding them. The more food they give the more they will breed and the problem grows and then we need more foundations to help and more money to be raised.

What are the Thai and local governments doing to help?

• Like 1

What all these foundations and there appears to be a lot of them helping the dogs in Thailand need to do is to focus on sterilising the animals and not just feeding them. The more food they give the more they will breed and the problem grows and then we need more foundations to help and more money to be raised.

The foundations don't even have 1% of the resources necessary to sterilise the required number of dogs. Any feeding of dogs that foundations do will have little impact on breeding.

You're absolutely right that the government holds the solution.

Q

No not delusional I just have clear ideas as to what I regard as good causes and ones that are well meant but to me misguided .

As to "my kind "I find your comment highly offensive as " my kind " is the whole human race and for you to make a comment like that makes me question your views on racism

As for donating to charities great they need all the money they can get but have you ever entertained the idea of getting out from behind your computer/lounge chair and actually helping with the care of people /animals or is just giving money a "feel good " thing for you . I spend up to 20 hrs a week working with sick and handicapped children and it is very rewarding . For your information I am Australian .

I'm sorry you were offended but if you'd looked closer it wasn't a comment about 'your kind' but an honest question. I've just seen a comment on Facebook asking why the UK government is spending money on foreign aid when there are homeless people in Britain. They are all human but someone obviously thinks they are different. You did suggest that someone running

to help dogs might not be right thinking which could be seen as offensive.

As for you working with sick and handicapped children I can only praise you for that and I'm sure it is rewarding. I don't volunteer now but I used to spend many an hour day or night at the Samaritans which I had to give up when my first wife became so ill with Multiple Sclerosis that I needed to spend my time with her.

As I spend more of my time in Thailand I'd like to volunteer again if I could. A couple of years ago my gf helped out in flood areas but I wasn't able to join her as I was in the UK at the time.

I'm happy to hear you are Australian even though I'm not sure why that is relevant.

Q

I agree with these guys. He won't be so keen on soi dogs after he's been chased by a pack of them. The best way to help soi dogs would be to round up and neuter most of the females so they don't breed like rabbits all over the place. It always tries my patience when I see people putting food out in the street for them and then going home, taking no responsibility for the pack of feral dogs they are helping to maintain.

I think Soi Dog do neuter dogs and there is a government programme to do this as well. People do need to be educated though to take these measures. I do think more use could be made of humane euthanasia. Before anyone mentions that Thais are Buddhists and can't kill anything that's rubbish as can be seen in any market.

Would you dislike the whole human race if you were chased by a pack of them?

I live in rural Isaan and I have had dogs other than my own bark at me once or maybe twice but never had any aggression. I've also only seen a dog defecate on the street in Bangkok once and seen faeces twice. I never see it in my area.

Wow you have only seen dog Faeces twice, man you need to get out more. I have even had the pleasure of stepping in it on a number of occasions and now that is living and lets you know you are alive.thumbsup.gif

Just kidding my friend no offence intended.

• Like 1

GreenSnapper, on 02 Dec 2013 - 14:46, said:snapback.png

Q

Right on Barney

I have also been bitten and have not long ago finished a course of anti rabies and anti Tet injections because of that bite.

I have owned dogs most of my life but these soi dogs are nothing but a pest.

I will be quite willing to donate a packet of 22 amo to help rid the place of the dirty crapping everywhere mongrels that infest this country.

If you look at some of the earlier posts, including mine it's been mentioned that Soi Dog and many others do sterilise dogs. I think they should maybe put more down if they are in a really bad way but that's just my opinion. There is, or at least there was government funding for neutering. Maybe someone else will know more about this than me. The trouble is just because the service is there doesn't mean people will take advantage of it so maybe education should be part of it as well.

Can't think of a better use for a soi dog than food for someone. Wouldn't want to eat 1 myself, but am happy to eat rabbit in the UK, which is another general pain species. Perspective tells westerners its not cool to eat dog and the same applies to Thais and rabbits. However if this guy wants to run 999 kms to save then, everyone has the right to do as they feel, good luck.

GreenSnapper, on 02 Dec 2013 - 14:46, said:snapback.png

Q

Right on Barney

I have also been bitten and have not long ago finished a course of anti rabies and anti Tet injections because of that bite.

I have owned dogs most of my life but these soi dogs are nothing but a pest.

I will be quite willing to donate a packet of 22 amo to help rid the place of the dirty crapping everywhere mongrels that infest this country.

Are you still talking about dogs?

If I haven't been troubled by dogs but you and Barney have maybe you're not as nice as me. They can tell if you like them you know. biggrin.png.pagespeed.ce.XhpYJIv77v.png

Can't think of a better use for a soi dog than food for someone. Wouldn't want to eat 1 myself, but am happy to eat rabbit in the UK, which is another general pain species. Perspective tells westerners its not cool to eat dog and the same applies to Thais and rabbits. However if this guy wants to run 999 kms to save then, everyone has the right to do as they feel, good luck.

My wife tells me she has eaten dog growing up and didn't think anything of it. She wont eat lamb tho and thinks it is disgusting, can't bring herself to even try it. I guess it is just a cultural thing. I love lamb but couldn't eat a dog.

The foundations don't even have 1% of the resources necessary to sterilise the required number of dogs. Any feeding of dogs that foundations do will have little impact on breeding.

You're absolutely right that the government holds the solution.

The money will go to spay dogs OMG how many times do you have to read this to understand. He is doing a good thing in my idea at least. You ranted 3 pages now about the hate for dogs rather then to help out.